Instant red and yellow cards for head contact in the NRL

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

It is vaguely inconvenient but we do need to stop people being hit in the head.

I believe the case that prompt this thread was in todays game, if it was, how do we police it if an attacking player is falling into the tackle which consequently ends up with them being clouted around the head? 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if the defender is devoid of any blame whatsoever he should still be penalised? 

Strange one that how should the offence be termed, perhap's:-

Penalty for doing everything within the law but penalised because the attacker head butted his arm.

Yes its classed as careless dangerous contact so still a penalty, opposed to reckless or deliberate dangerous contact with the head which should be a card.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

A 2014 study found that 39% of all injuries in rugby league were related to concussion.

The review found that concussion accounted for 29% of all injuries associated with illegal play, but 9% of injuries sustained in legal play. 

This week we have reports that a player is getting headaches and concussion like symptoms riding a bike after suffering two HIA's this year.

Stevie Ward has retired very early due to concussions and continues with severe symptoms.

Players are suing the sport for negligence due to concussion.

Like it or not this is an issue that will not go away. Positive action to deal with it and keep our best players playing should always be welcomed.

I think it would be better all round if for nothing other than to eliminate the 9% of injuries sustained in legal play that the rules are modified to avoid any possible bodily contact beit illegal or accidental with the head!

The nature of the sport will always throw up examples like Stevie Ward or the "bike rider" and what can be done to stop player's suing for negligence long after they have finished playing if they wish to do so?

The fact is, player's no only to well the risks of competing in this sport irrespective if they get paid or are of amatuer status, you are very correct it is an issue that it will not go away unless the sport is radically changed from what we know, perhap's "tick 'n pass" or extracting a "hankie" from the waistband of the shorts is a possible solution.

It feels right that we should punish illegal play, it's absolutely where focus should be. 

We need to stop campaigning for players to be allowed to hit opponents in the head. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

As I type, Brisbane as currently down to 11 and losing 42-6 with the commentators voicing concern that the NRL is going to ruin Origin.

The Aussie are some of the worst for condoning foul play. 

13 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yes its classed as careless dangerous contact so still a penalty, opposed to reckless or deliberate dangerous contact with the head which should be a card.

But what we are discussing Toppy is how can it be construed as "careless dangerous contact" if the head contact has everthing to do with the actions of the attacker not the defender?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

This is an important point, tacklers are the most likely to come off worse in contact due to bad positioning and just the fact that tackling with the shoulder leaves the side of the head vulnerable to knees, elbows and hips. 

I do think there is a large element of this specific policy that is window dressing, but it is important window dressing.

It does if you get your technique wrong.  

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It feels right that we should punish illegal play, it's absolutely where focus should be. 

We need to stop campaigning for players to be allowed to hit opponents in the head. 

Absolutely no one has said that.

There's a legitimate question about whether automatic yellows and reds should be appropriate in cases where contact is clearly accidental on the part of the defending player.

Even if your view is that accidental contact like that should be treated the same I don't see why you think that means people actively want to see head shots. Bit of a leap you've made there.

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

A 2014 study found that 39% of all injuries in rugby league were related to concussion.

The review found that concussion accounted for 29% of all injuries associated with illegal play, but 9% of injuries sustained in legal play. 

This week we have reports that a player is getting headaches and concussion like symptoms riding a bike after suffering two HIA's this year.

Stevie Ward has retired very early due to concussions and continues with severe symptoms.

Players are suing the sport for negligence due to concussion.

Like it or not this is an issue that will not go away. Positive action to deal with it and keep our best players playing should always be welcomed.

Genuine question Chris.  Which players are suing for negligence?

No one can possibly watch the Brisbane-Manly game tonight and say this directive is good for the game as a spectacle.

That was the worst game of Rugby League I have ever had the displeasure of watching. It is not the game I grew up loving and if this is the way the game has to be played in the future due to admittedly valid safety concerns unfortunately I will no longer be a fan.

15 minutes ago, Moove said:

Absolutely no one has said that.

There's a legitimate question about whether automatic yellows and reds should be appropriate in cases where contact is clearly accidental on the part of the defending player.

Even if your view is that accidental contact like that should be treated the same I don't see why you think that means people actively want to see head shots. Bit of a leap you've made there.

The fact that this has gone down the route of accidental tackles is interesting. I don't know what games other people are watching, but I dont see many high tackles where the tackler has done no wrong. 

I mean even the OP has alleged that the ball carriers aim their heads at a tackles arm to get them penalised. 

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Aussie are some of the worst for condoning foul play. 

I think this is brought about by the recent NRL media push to deal with offences on the itch rather than the disciplinary.  I am ok with that as the Refs have everything at their disposal these days to make a decision.  

The WC has been mentioned on this thread.  A hell of a lot of kids will be taken to these games.  I wonder how many parents sat with them will be confident their child is doing the right thing playing a game where getting hit on the head? They can accept a fall and accidental head clash ( these happen in every school every day).

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

No one can possibly watch the Brisbane-Manly game tonight and say this directive is good for the game as a spectacle.

That was the worst game of Rugby League I have ever had the displeasure of watching. It is not the game I grew up loving and if this is the way the game has to be played in the future due to admittedly valid safety concerns unfortunately I will no longer be a fan.

That was probably the worst game you`ve watched tonight because Brisbane are a rudderless rabble. The facts of the matter we will not have a game in the future unless we get all contact with the head by the tackler out of the game. End of story.

We might think that we might get an endless stream of players coming out of countries or regions where players will disregard their long-term health to make a good living, these people will sue just as willingly in the future as anyone else.

ALL players  must be trained from day one in their Rugby League journey to tackle from the chest or even lower down or we won`t have a game in 50 years. No excuses, everyone must be trained to tackle low. That will be Rugby League in the future.

What's wrong with the current existing rules around this? Accidental contact happens a lot and removing any discretion from the referee will surely lead to loads of yellows for things which aren't foul play. That in itself could have lots of unintended consequences 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if the defender is devoid of any blame whatsoever he should still be penalised? 

Strange one that how should the offence be termed, perhap's:-

Penalty for doing everything within the law but penalised because the attacker head butted his arm.

I'm with you on this, with all the rule changes to speed the game up human error or the chance of it will increase so will the chance of the arm(s) being deflected upwards, attacking players falling into a tackle is very common and can result in a tackle becoming high, is that the fault of the tackler or the attacker? - Should referees be better educated in to making a decision on whether it'a A/ Deliberate attack to the head (Red) B/ Reckless (Yellow) C/ Poor skills (Penalty with the punishment rising to yellow and red) D/ Player falling into the tackle is a very hard one and probably the gray area.  

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

This is a rule change that will soon see the light of day in the NRL. In my view this has the potential to be an absolute disaster for the sport. 

Please do not bring this into UK RL!!

So if a player makes any sort of contact above the shoulders of an opposing player it's an instant red or yellow card.

In one Championship game I watched on the weekend there were 3-4 penalties against a single team for a high tackle which means with the new rule they'd have 9 players left on the field. 

Several of those penalties were dubious because the attacking player was slipping or falling into the collision in order to deliberately get the defending player to make contact with the head. With these sort of tactics in play a rule like this will create anarchy. 

Do not use this rule in Europe or in international football, it will ruin a lot of games 

The solution is to amend that slightly: a penalty only if the contact is incidental (e.g. when the ball carrier slips or falls into the contact), a red card if the contact is malicious or flagrant and a yellow in all cases in between.

49 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

What's wrong with the current existing rules around this? Accidental contact happens a lot and removing any discretion from the referee will surely lead to loads of yellows for things which aren't foul play. That in itself could have lots of unintended consequences 

If tacklers know that any head contact will result in a card they'll aim lower to ensure no contact is made, it should stop this "he hit the shoulder/ball and it rode up"

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

If tacklers know that any head contact will result in a card they'll aim lower to ensure no contact is made, it should stop this "he hit the shoulder/ball and it rode up"

Tackles that hit the shoulder and ride up to make contact with the head are punishable as a yellow/red card under current rules. People are frequently sin binned for tackles like that.

What this new ruling means that someone who sticks out an arm instinctively and catches someone accidentally on the head will be binned regardless. It also means if a carrier runs low and ducks their head into it the tackler will be prosecuted. Weve already seen players running low with their head down and in an unnatural ways in rugby union due to a similar ruling being introduced 

Archived