Instant red and yellow cards for head contact in the NRL

We’ve seen with clampdowns before that when officials get told to look for something they zealously make sure they do to please the people above them , and you end up finding things that aren’t there 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A common sense levelling off of these tackles will be shown by the referees.  

Trent Robinson has called today for calm and his comments pretty much mirror my feelings in getting back to leg tackles.  Interestingly he mentions the game when there were 2 head high shots and both perpetrators were binned.  Normally there may be many more so something is working.  Anyway, read this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/trent-robinsons-call-for-nrl-edict-calm-c-2851158

Just thinking through the evolution of techniques in defence. 

There is potentially a lot more high shots now as the first and second contact defenders try and hit and stick up top. Partly to clamp the ball and partly to take the man to the ground under their control (with a 3rd man around the thighs/hips).

A lot of people bemoan this wrestling style. Perhaps if we force the tacklers lower there will be more 'old fashioned' tackling and more big hits... it may bring back a version of the game a lot of people seem to miss. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There is potentially a lot more high shots now as the first and second contact defenders try and hit and stick up top. Partly to clamp the ball and partly to take the man to the ground under their control (with a 3rd man around the thighs/hips).

A lot of people bemoan this wrestling style. Perhaps if we force the tacklers lower there will be more 'old fashioned' tackling and more big hits... it may bring back a version of the game a lot of people seem to miss. 

I dont know if you watched Bennett’s press conference but its really interesting viewing

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I dont know if you watched Bennett’s press conference but its really interesting viewing

I haven't.  But if it is on WatchNRL or NRL.com I will watch it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I watched it and felt he had the right ideas. I also thought Trent Robinson had a good post match review as well. Some of the other coaches need to stop living in the past.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Not a great fan of Bennett but he made some very good points as did Robinson who will be featured on NRL 360 tomorrow. Have yet to hear a view from Bellamy but could come today after Melbourne play St. George.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Interesting point. The consensus from fans on here a while back was that the mid-to-late 90s was a good era for RL - fast, open, attacking RL, without the smothering defences. Perhaps an unintended consequence of imposing strict liability on tacklers is that we might find ourselves heading back in that direction?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Just now, Dave T said:

Yellow and red so far in this game. Spot on. 

Even the commentator is getting it, saying the players have to tackle lower. 

Both were poor technique, so should be able to be coached out

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yellow and red so far in this game. Spot on. 

Even the commentator is getting it, saying the players have to tackle lower. 

What about McGuire being put on report for the tackle where Ado-Carr came away with a leg problem, interpretation please Dave.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What about McGuire being put on report for the tackle where Ado-Carr came away with a leg problem, interpretation please Dave.

Not what you would call a coached tackle technique, if it results in putting a player in a awkward or dangerous position it should be looked at. 

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That wasn’t contact with the head 😜

Yes I quite agree, but see the post below.

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

We’ve seen with clampdowns before that when officials get told to look for something they zealously make sure they do to please the people above them , and you end up finding things that aren’t there 

This, no way would I consider that McGuire's tackle in this instance would have even been looked at prior to this "onreportathon"

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was a dangerous tackle that I thought had been outlawed a while ago. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It was a dangerous tackle that I thought had been outlawed a while ago. 

A very similar tackle which resulted in a Storm player leaving the field happened later, where is the consistency of the ref and the bunker who are scrutinising everything that is happening.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I quite agree, but see the post below.

This, no way would I consider that McGuire's tackle in this instance would have even been looked at prior to this "onreportathon"

I think the reporting system has led us to where we are now where we need clampdowns. I also think the Aussie refereeing system is to blame for a lot of what is wrong with the game. Not the referees but the bosses undermine them time after time, whether it is convincing them that they need 2 refs, videos on every try, on report instead of making a decision - it's led us to a system where we try to get everything perfect yet the refs are frightened to make decisions - they use the video for literally everything they can, and by just sticking things on report the yellow and red system had become almost defunct in the NRL. 

I'd prefer more autonomy and a reduction in reliance on the support and we just crack on with refereeing a game, including errors. On report should be scrapped - there is literally no reason for it as whole games are reviewed anyway. Its the most nonsense thing the sport has ever created. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A very similar tackle which resulted in a Storm player leaving the field happened later, where is the consistency of the ref and the bunker who are scrutinising everything that is happening.

I'm only half watching it mate so haven't seen the one you refer to. 

I thought McGuire's tackle was poor. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the reporting system has led us to where we are now where we need clampdowns. I also think the Aussie refereeing system is to blame for a lot of what is wrong with the game. Not the referees but the bosses undermine them time after time, whether it is convincing them that they need 2 refs, videos on every try, on report instead of making a decision - it's led us to a system where we try to get everything perfect yet the refs are frightened to make decisions - they use the video for literally everything they can, and by just sticking things on report the yellow and red system had become almost defunct in the NRL. 

I'd prefer more autonomy and a reduction in reliance on the support and we just crack on with refereeing a game, including errors. On report should be scrapped - there is literally no reason for it as whole games are reviewed anyway. Its the most nonsense thing the sport has ever created. 

If it comes over here to the same degree I will consider to start personal divorce proceedings with the game, if what you are referring to is spoiling the sport then we are in total agreement.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm only half watching it mate so haven't seen the one you refer to. 

I thought McGuire's tackle was poor. 

Why would that be Dave, could it be this clampdown and the consequences it results in having an adverse effect on the proceedings and dictating how the games will finish.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why would that be Dave, could it be this clampdown and the consequences it results in having an adverse effect on the proceedings and dictating how the games will finish.

Nah, just enjoying pastries and coffee with my family on this beautiful Sunday morning mate. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a bit of a worry for the NRL that players are incapable of tackling low and not acting like thugs. 

Another red. 

Both incidents in the Titans Panthers game would have penalties and probably yellow and red before the clampdown.  One was high and late and one was very reckless.

Overall though, the tackling technique does need to change, but I think it was Trent Robinson who said that it is almost impossible to do this mid season.  The players are coached to tackle upright, chest on chest, in order to clamp the ball and control the tackle and buy defensive time.  You see this in the warm up before every game.

If we want to fundamentally change the way the game is played, you don't do it in Round 10.

A positive change may come of this.  Or (just a likely) the sport will react to some of the negative publicity and forget the clamp down in a week or two.

It didn't effect the result but it did wipe off a great Panthers try - horrible decision by the bunker to spot an 'elbow' by Liam Martin carrying the ball.  The contact was to the upper chest of the Titans defender was simply a case of a ball carrier putting the bumpers up. 

If that's penalty there would be 20 a game.  The only reason it was is that a try was scored and it was an opportunity for the video ref to pour through the last play to find a reason to disallow it.

Archived