widnes this sunday

georgeb1

13 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Why can't we play like this in every half!?

Can't help thinking that the disruption in our half back selection is a major factor - can't wait to have Brendan O'Hagen back for 5th tackle plays....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

M.O.M. for me, scored and made a try and worked his socks off, like the look of Miky Lewis, what a nice try.

Yes, Riley Dean and Mikey Lewis are two great young 6's (with mistakes in them)- we need B O'H back as a 7 though !

Poor , workmanlike , decent , so many ways to describe that performance , fordy has a lot to do and he'll know that , brining and o Hagan coming back soon will be a massive help , so much potential in the side let's hope we can be rewarded next sun for our first look at the LNER .😀😀😀

The worry is that we are getting our points from teams in the bottom 5. To get in the play offs we must take points from teams in the top half of the table as well. Anyway one more week and the return of live rugby, can't wait.

Ok, think we all expected a reaction from Widnes after last weeks drubbing and we got it, so don't wish to be disrespectful to them. But got to say IMO in the second quarter we were terrible and completely lost the plot. Sure some harsh words were said at half time and we upped the tempo and did the business. But boy do we make it difficult for ourselves, we work so hard to get into attacking positions then ruin it with abysmal end of sets, and we're doing it time and time and time again. After Deans good work to get Scotty over l waited an hour for another moment of class and it came from young Lewis so well done kid. 

5 minutes ago, Peter G. said:

But boy do we make it difficult for ourselves, we work so hard to get into attacking positions then ruin it with abysmal end of sets, and we're doing it time and time and time again. 

See my comments above about missing O'Hagen..... Dean and Lewis are confident runners of the ball, and will always fancy backing themselves to make a break on their own (and good on them) - but that means they'll sometimes be out of position for last tackle plays, and won't be organisers of the tackle set. 

BoH, for my money, looks like the sort of organising half that can do this.

55 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

See my comments above about missing O'Hagen..... Dean and Lewis are confident runners of the ball, and will always fancy backing themselves to make a break on their own (and good on them) - but that means they'll sometimes be out of position for last tackle plays, and won't be organisers of the tackle set. 

BoH, for my money, looks like the sort of organising half that can do this.

But Lewis was playing fullback today. That leaves the spotlight on Marsh. We've seen Matty score some good backing up tries. But that suggests to me that today, when Lewis  joined the attack, we were playing with three stand-offs? So, as you suggest, BoH must be the missing piece of the puzzle. Lets hope Brendan can regain his fitness and show the form he displayed in the first couple of matches. Following on from Tony Rea's observations a few weeks ago re our problems in attack today Leon Pryce said we looked a bit disorganised at times. Lets hope we put it all together next week.  

Much better second half although I missed the last 10 minutes. Lewis certainly is cocky, I didn’t think he was going to get to the chip through - that’s a huge play on the 3rd tackle when you’re just 6 points in front. If that had gone dead it’s a 7 tackle restart at such a key point in the game. I’m glad he had the confidence and composure to get it.

Cuthbertson and Washbrook are really stepping up, Sam Scott puts so much energy into the game. Thought Jolly James Green Giant had a quieter game than previously. 

Overall pleased to get the 2 points. Oldham won’t be a straightforward game, I don’t care how we do it we need to win otherwise people really will start talking about a home match curse!

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

If we're keeping Mikey Lewis for any length of time, there will be an interesting selection choice at half back to be made, once BoH is fit again....

Would be fantastic to have halfback competition again😀😀😀

I thoroughly enjoyed the game today. I'd rather watch a game like that than a nigh on faultless game that ends up 12pts to 10pts to one side or tother or a 70pts to nil training run out. Today we had it all, highs and lows but in the end a good result for the Knights! Not something we've had at Widnes very often over the years! Well done lads and thank you for all the effort!😀.

Haven't bothered to post for the last couple of games but yesterday game was another poor display at 8 nil up Widnes looked clueless and instead of us turning the screw we did the opposite our line speed disappeared which let Widnes run at use and in stead of us being up in there face's and our defence was found wanting W

Just rewatching the match, I know Widnes fans aren’t happy with their try which was disallowed for a forward pass. 

However there’s something about the camera position at the stadium, first of all it’s off centre by I estimate 10 feet. Secondly there’s not much in the way of protests from the Widnes players. Then later on it looks like Riley Dean is in touch but again the perceptive from the camera angle is misleading and I think a different camera angle would show he still had plenty room. 

Either way Gareth Hewer was in a perfect position to rule it a no try.

2 hours ago, yck2017 said:

Haven't bothered to post for the last couple of games but yesterday game was another poor display at 8 nil up Widnes looked clueless and instead of us turning the screw we did the opposite our line speed disappeared which let Widnes run at use and in stead of us being up in there face's and our defence was found wanting W

Think that's harsh, TBH. Let's put things in perspective  ....."another poor display" is a 21-point victory away at Widnes - if that's the worse it gets, frankly, bring it on😁

Seriously, I don't think there's a meaner defence, points-wise, in the Championship than the Knights other that TO and Fev (will check). Attack's been misfiring in the opposition 20, but that can get better...... 

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Just rewatching the match, I know Widnes fans aren’t happy with their try which was disallowed for a forward pass. 

However there’s something about the camera position at the stadium, first of all it’s off centre by I estimate 10 feet. Secondly there’s not much in the way of protests from the Widnes players. Then later on it looks like Riley Dean is in touch but again the perceptive from the camera angle is misleading and I think a different camera angle would show he still had plenty room. 

Either way Gareth Hewer was in a perfect position to rule it a no try.

Watching it, it was the direction of the hands that made me instantly think "forward", and as you say, Ref was exactly on the spot.

3 hours ago, yck2017 said:

Think once we get a settled team things will improve, don't think any other team has used as many players as us or used as many loan players.

4 hours ago, yck2017 said:

27 points in the second half which could have been more but for Widnes put up some strong goal line defence , plus they never breached our line in the second 40 , did you watch the second half ?. 

Interesting, that perspective thing again.

I remember a time when we used to go to Widnes and hope they didn't do us by 50 !!  😀

And as for the camera angles etc, welcome to the club!  😁

Would have loved to have known what Fordy was thinking when young Mikey chipped over the top - seem to remember he hates the chip over......

Anybody manage to work out what the first half 'on report' was for ?  Assume it was against Clarky ?

Anyway, with a bit of luck, I've got two lots of homework to do this week...😉                                                                            Hope you all manage to get a ticket, sincerely, I've missed you.

Archived