Favourite TV chef

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This episode features challenger Toshira Kandagawa, a respected chef, a professional wind-up merchant and who played the equivalent of a pro-wrestling "heel" on the show. Basically, the guy everyone loved to hate, and who revelled in it.

He died last month, from COVID-19.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't watch any cooking on TV, but used to love watching Ken Hom and Keith Floyd.

Only ones I watch at the minute are on Youtube, Chin & Choo who show how to cook takeaway chinese at home and Epic Meal Time who make massive meals (usually with loads of bacon).

Just now, metallithrax said:

Don't watch any cooking on TV, but used to love watching Ken Hom and Keith Floyd.

Only ones I watch at the minute are on Youtube, Chin & Choo who show how to cook takeaway chinese at home and Epic Meal Time who make massive meals (usually with loads of bacon).

I forgot Ken Hom. Very charming, but gets a lot of criticism from people who consider him an advocate for dumbed-down stir fries.

When it comes to YouTube and other online cooks, here's a couple.

Guga is a bit gushing (and owns far too many knives), but he's willing to try the most insane ideas.

Vegan Black Metal Chef. Let's just say he's found his niche...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I forgot Ken Hom. Very charming, but gets a lot of criticism from people who consider him an advocate for dumbed-down stir fries.

When it comes to YouTube and other online cooks, here's a couple.

Guga is a bit gushing (and owns far too many knives), but he's willing to try the most insane ideas.

Vegan Black Metal Chef. Let's just say he's found his niche...

Can't believe I forgot about Guga.  I do watch his videos.  Also Barbecue Pit Boys for some really delicious looking BBQ food.

I quite like Matt Tebbutt on Saturday kitchen, seems to relish getting p!$$3d in a morning, good he took over to James Martin who was becoming a big headed irritating prat, and he is from Yorkshire, and he is into union, and he is a big mate of another irritating prat Chris Evens.

Rick Stein, his Venice to Istanbul  series was brilliant and he did the cooking on one of my favourite Greek islands Symi with a magnificent view across the harbour. HIs French barge trip was very amusing.

Nigela Lawson is sex over substance, annoying isn't strong enough, "don't look at the pan watch me pout."

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

I quite like Matt Tebbutt on Saturday kitchen, seems to relish getting p!$$3d in a morning, good he took over to James Martin who was becoming a big headed irritating prat, and he is from Yorkshire, and he is into union, and he is a big mate of another irritating prat Chris Evens.

Rick Stein, his Venice to Istanbul  series was brilliant and he did the cooking on one of my favourite Greek islands Symi with a magnificent view across the harbour. HIs French barge trip was very amusing.

Nigela Lawson is sex over substance, annoying isn't strong enough, "don't look at the pan watch me pout."

I like Tebbutt , but also did like Martin , and he does posses an Alan Mann replica racing 100e , so does like decent cars , not just fancy Ferrari's 

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And the problem there is...? 😆😆

She’s no dummy, ok she’s posh and IMO hot AF but that’s not the sole reason she’s successful, a lot her stuff is really nice and very easy to do. Even if you can’t get some of the ingredients as you don’t live near a Moroccan bazaar.

There's always the internet - I use this site - https://www.souschef.co.uk/ - as well as Amazon.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rick Stein, because I have eaten in Padstow, & met him, I wrote a letter thanking him & got a reply.

Worrall-Thomson because my daughter loves his Shepherds pie.

Most of the others come across as happy, lovey, friendly types, but not when you are working for them, that is what turned my brother away from being a chef in Marcus Waring, and Marco Pierre Whites Manchester restaurants. 

I don't mind Jamie Oliver, or Nigella, I find James Martin annoyingly Yorkshire, even though he lives in Hampshire (sorry), Fearnly-Whitinstall is 10/10 annoying

Nadiya I can do, because if you watch the Bake Off, she nearly got kicked off twice.

Olivia Hercules is cute.

Sophie Grigsons books are annoying, as are Ainsleys. Don't use them.

The Pioneer Woman on the Food Channel is annoying, always cooking for her cowboy husband, and her boys who should be in school.

What really annoys me is when James Martin or Jamie Oliver go out into "Their Garden" to their log fired outside pizza oven, do they really think we have time to fire up a wood-fired pizza oven, to cook a 12 inch peice of bread? Do they really think many of us have the space in any garden space for a Pizza oven? Or even a garden? F***ing show offs. And how many kitchens does Oliver or Martin have to own for each series, do they have to change their kitchen for every series they make, is it theirs, or is it a studio?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

What really annoys me is when James Martin or Jamie Oliver go out into "Their Garden" to their log fired outside pizza oven, do they really think we have time to fire up a wood-fired pizza oven, to cook a 12 inch peice of bread? Do they really think many of us have the space in any garden space for a Pizza oven? Or even a garden? F***ing show offs. And how many kitchens does Oliver or Martin have to own for each series, do they have to change their kitchen for every series they make, is it theirs, or is it a studio?

My brother-in-law built a clay pizza oven in his garden. The first attempt did produce some some excellent pizzas, but it was served up several hours after mealtime, as he hadn't realised how long it took to get up to full heat.

As for you, you could dig a firepit on the beach and have a barbecue there. Not sure the local authorities would approve, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oliver once said '' If anyone ever serves you un-smoked bacon throw it back at them ''

I prefer unsmoked as I'm sure many others do , another classic from him '' This is the best Lasagne ever ''

no it isn't , just cos you cooked it to your recipe does not make it the best.

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

My brother-in-law built a clay pizza oven in his garden. The first attempt did produce some some excellent pizzas, but it was served up several hours after mealtime, as he hadn't realised how long it took to get up to full heat.

As for you, you could dig a firepit on the beach and have a barbecue there. Not sure the local authorities would approve, though.

I did a disposable BBQ, about 2 years ago on beach, as many others were doing, as it was a warm weekend, we did Tesco bought BBQ & Cajun chicken, and just sat there and nearly forgot to take my daughter back to her Mothers, such a relaxing day. Doused it with sea water, and binned it after letting it cool, and someone told me off for trying to cause a fire hazard.

You could do a firepit on a sandy beach, but the ones around here are shingle/pebble.

I've recently broken my rule about not watching American cooking shows.

Through necessity I've begun watching Giada In Italy on Food Network (Giada De Laurentiis) in this 8-10am slot. The necessities were stimulation of the mind... and well... stimulation of something else...

As a show it's ok, she does that annoying thing where the Italian words are emphasised but she is Italian and brought up in California. And she mentions her daughter far too much. But y'know... schwing!

Archived