Salary Cap working?

I guess the answer depends on what you want the cap to do. If the cap is there to level the standards its clearly failed. If its there to prevent bankruptcy through overspending, maybe its worked.

Personally I'd tweek it and keep it for trying to prevent overspending, but raise it otherwise. 

There was a reason Hetherington liked it while Leeds were successful - it stopped the squad being picked off for big bucks and most players stayed because the difference in salary they might have got elsewhere wouldn't have been that big because of the cap at the other clubs. In that circumstance the promise of winning more trophies will win out over  small rise to play for a team less likely to win anything. And Hetherington never had to raise wages to keep the team together.

I'm not sure that its right that the cap is stopping the best NRL players joining SL - that hasn't happened in years anyway.  

Archived