Australian starting 13 for the world cup

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I reckon it'll feature players who excel in this years State of Origin series. 

Supplanted by some of the players from the National Rugby League competition that didn't feature I suspect!

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Tom Trbojevic
  5. Val Holmes/Dane Gagai
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Josh Papali'i/Christian Welch
  9. Damien Cook/Harry Grant
  10. Payne Haas/Dan Saifiti
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. David Fifita
  13. Isaah Yeo

Fair bit of personal preference chucked in there, pending allegiances also a factor with a few players. Bench/Squad would likely be filled with the likes of Murray, Arrow, Fa'asuamaleaui, Radley, Frizell, Capewell amongst others.

James Tedesco will probably be the first choice at FB, with some other FBs playing out of position or starting from the bench. Tom Trbojevic and Ryan Papenhuyzen are too good to omit, for a start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, UTK said:
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Tom Trbojevic
  5. Val Holmes/Dane Gagai
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. David Fifita
  13. Isaah Yeo

Fair bit of personal preference chucked in there, pending allegiances also a factor with a few players. Bench/Squad would likely be filled with the likes of Murray, Arrow, Fa'asuamaleaui, Radley, Frizell, Capewell amongst others.

That's a scary team! Will take a miracle for anyone to beat them

11 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

That's a scary team! Will take a miracle for anyone to beat them

Yeah it does look quite strong, but then again there's a long time between now and the WC which unfortunately leaves ample time for injury to take its toll. The likes of Papali'i/Tino/Saifiti and even potentially David Fifita defecting would certainly test the depth of the squad, whether that happens remains to be seen as of yet. 

Personally, I believe the Tongan pack is head and shoulders above everyone else even if Australia is full-strength. Undoubtedly a forward pack alone will not win you a WC and their spine depth is potentially a little lacking, however as they proved in late 2019 it is a very good starting point.

8. Addin Fonua-Blake
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. Jason Taumalolo

15. Taniela Paseka
16. Moeaki Fotuiaka
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Others: Keaon Koloamatangi, Siosifa Talakai, Manu Ma'u, Elisea Katoa, Andrew Fifita, Agnatius Paasi, Joe Ofahengaue

I think the odds of all those players being available is slim, quite a few will need operations, some will choose not to come because of covid. It will still be a good side. 

8 hours ago, UTK said:
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Tom Trbojevic
  5. Val Holmes/Dane Gagai
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. David Fifita
  13. Isaah Yeo

Fair bit of personal preference chucked in there, pending allegiances also a factor with a few players. Bench/Squad would likely be filled with the likes of Murray, Arrow, , Radley, Frizell, Capewell amongst others.

David Fifita could be representing Tonga, Daniel Saifiiti Fiji, he’s already played for Fiji, and Josh Papalii will be playing for Samoa by the sound of the quote below. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui has also represented Samoa already, I’ve not read anywhere that he’s turning his back on them to play for Australia?  Payne Haas may also switch to Samoa.

Queensland prop Josh Papalii says he would turn his back on playing for the Maroons and Australia to represent Samoa tomorrow.“100 per cent I would [return for Samoa over Australia],” he tells foxsports.com.au. “There are different emotions. When I play for Australia it’s the country I was raised in. When you play for Samoa you invest a lot more, because I’m representing my parents, it’s what I am [a Samoan]. It’s more than a team.”

7 hours ago, UTK said:

Yeah it does look quite strong, but then again there's a long time between now and the WC which unfortunately leaves ample time for injury to take its toll. The likes of Papali'i/Tino/Saifiti and even potentially David Fifita defecting would certainly test the depth of the squad, whether that happens remains to be seen as of yet. 

Personally, I believe the Tongan pack is head and shoulders above everyone else even if Australia is full-strength. Undoubtedly a forward pack alone will not win you a WC and their spine depth is potentially a little lacking, however as they proved in late 2019 it is a very good starting point.

8. Addin Fonua-Blake
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. Jason Taumalolo

15. Taniela Paseka
16. Moeaki Fotuiaka
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Others: Keaon Koloamatangi, Siosifa Talakai, Manu Ma'u, Elisea Katoa, Andrew Fifita, Agnatius Paasi, Joe Ofahengaue

I agree Tonga have the best pack in the World Cup and some absolute powerhouses in the outside backs to go alongside them. Tonga’s potential weakness is in the half backs but I think it’ll be a World Cup Final of Tonga v Australia. It should be a great tournament.

10 hours ago, UTK said:
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Tom Trbojevic
  5. Val Holmes/Dane Gagai
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. David Fifita
  13. Isaah Yeo

For heaven's sake man!

David Fifita is likely to be playing for Tonga

Daniel Saifiti is definitely playing for Fiji.

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui played for Samoa in 2019.

Josh Papali'i  may be playing for Samoa

Payne Haas has Swiss and Filipino heritage, but may choose to play for his third country of heritage, Samoa.

Please select players with loyalty only to Australia.

The more likely Australian team is:

1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Jack Wighton
  5. Tom Trbojevic
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Christian Welch
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. Boyd Cordner
  13. Cameron Murray

Interchange:

14. Ryan Papenhuyzen

15. Victor Radley

16. Harry Grant

17. Jai Arrow.

For those who don't know, Boyd Cordner will be back playing for the Sydney Roosters in two weeks from now.

40 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

For heaven's sake man!

Payne Haas has Swiss and Filipino heritage, but may choose to play for his third country of heritage, Samoa.

As all the above players play for either NSW and QLD chances are they will all be loyal to Australia. And all of them are born and bred Aussies.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

The more likely Australian team is:

1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Latrell Mitchell
  4. Jack Wighton
  5. Tom Trbojevic
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Christian Welch
  9. Damien Cook
  10. James Fisher-Harris
  11. Angus Chrichton
  12. Boyd Cordner
  13. Cameron Murray

Interchange:

14. Ryan Papenhuyzen

15. Victor Radley

16. Harry Grant

17. Jai Arrow.

For those who don't know, Boyd Cordner will be back playing for the Sydney Roosters in two weeks from now.

Is that the James Fisher Harris who has played six tests for New Zealand?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

42 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

For heaven's sake man!

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if this is the case.

35 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

For heaven's sake man!

Hahahah classic Manfred post. I would love nothing more than for the players above to opt for their heritage nations as it would indeed further level the tournament. Unfortunately, Haas and Papali'i are Australian incumbents while Fifita opted to play for the Junior Kangaroos ahead of earning his first Tongan caps in 2019. 

Sir Kev is correct in quoting Papali'i above re: his Samoan allegiance however that article came in the context of supporting the campaign against the current coach, so we will have to wait and see how that is resolved. Saifiti and Fa'asuamaleaui have never been in the frame for Australian selection before so we will just have to wait and see where their allegiances lie. 

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Is that the James Fisher Harris who has played six tests for New Zealand?

Yes it is. The very same person. That is why I have now decided to select Paul Vaughan for the prop forward spot that I mistakenly gave to the Kiwi star.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I agree Tonga have the best pack in the World Cup and some absolute powerhouses in the outside backs to go alongside them. Tonga’s potential weakness is in the half backs but I think it’ll be a World Cup Final of Tonga v Australia. It should be a great tournament.

Tonga might be without Taumalolo. He needs time off to let those hands heal.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Don't write off Fiji.

Look at their possible team:

Sitiveni Moceidreke

Mika Sivo, Waqa Blake, Brayden Williame, Maikele Ravilawa,

Kevin Naiqama

Brandon Wakeham

Jacob Saifiti

Williame Kikau, Tariq Sims

Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Apisai Korisau. Tui Kamikamica

Interchange:

Joe Lovodua,

Kane Evans

Daniel Saifiti

Korbin Sims

This team can beat anyone.

44 minutes ago, AB90 said:

As all the above players play for either NSW and QLD chances are they will all be loyal to Australia. And all of them are born and bred Aussies.

All depends on if they are picked for the Australian squad. 

just watch how many players declare their love and allegiance to said tier2 nations if not picked by the kangaroos.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

All depends on if they are picked for the Australian squad. 

just watch how many players declare their love and allegiance to said tier2 nations if not picked by the kangaroos.

The good news is that there are a lot of them.  Tonga, Samoa and Fiji will have strong sides even if one or two of their preferred players decide to represent the Kangaroos.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Don't write off Fiji.

Sitiveni Moceidreke

Kevin Naiqama

Brandon Wakeham

Jacob Saifiti

Interchange:

Joe Lovodua,

Kane Evans

Daniel Saifiti

Korbin Sims

Not with those halfbacks they won’t . Often this is the issue with fiji 

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Don't write off Fiji.

Sitiveni Moceidreke

Kevin Naiqama

Brandon Wakeham

Jacob Saifiti

Interchange:

Joe Lovodua,

Kane Evans

Daniel Saifiti

Korbin Sims

I'd give Sunia Turuva fullback, he's playing there for Panthers NSW Cup who are absolutely killing it. 

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not with those halfbacks they won’t . Often this is the issue with fiji 

Halves in second-tier nations is an interesting one, often it isn`t a lack of ability but the ability to perform consistently and under pressure. Tiu Lolohea, behind the Tongan pack is a classic example, given a bit of space and a retreating defence he becomes a world-beater, Wakeham could benefit from the same space, not sure about Naqaima haven`t seen him play for a while but he does have plenty of experience and if he can transfer that to his decision making he might go o.k.

Archived