What? They still make this stuff?

A thread for products of any category that are still, in defiance of sense or sanity, in production. Proof required, by the medium of links.

I'll kick off with Vesta Curry: https://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/vesta-beef-curry-236g 

Washed down with Harold Wilson's favourite tipple, Wincarnis tonic wine: https://www.ianmacleod.com/brands/wincarnis-wines 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Apparently sales of penny farthings have increased 200% during the pandemic.... 

from 1 to 3?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Powdered egg, that staple of wartime rationing, has made a return, thanks to health'n'fitness types: https://ccmoore.com/base-mix-ingredients/230-whole-egg-powder 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wish they still made Texans , I used to love  them as a kid 

They had a limited re-release in 2005. A shop near where I worked at the time got some stock and I bought quite a few of them.

I hate to say this to people that miss them but... they really were as good as I remembered! 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

They had a limited re-release in 2005. A shop near where I worked at the time got some stock and I bought quite a few of them.

I hate to say this to people that miss them but... they really were as good as I remembered! 

I still in a misty eyed but rather silly way look for them in the chocolate aisle ...

This topic has come up in my circle recently. Someone said they didn't know the last time they saw liquorice torpedoes so I went to the pound shop and bought them a big bag. Someone else said about those sweets called poppets. I got those in the pound shop as well. Discount shops always seem to be the place to find these random, old fashioned food stuffs that you don't realise still exist. One I always think of is Tizer. I know it still exists but I never seem to see it anywhere, though to be fair I don't really look either. 

That wartime favourite SNOEK.

https://www.cooksister.com/2006/12/snoek_scrumptio.html

During World War II when everything was scarce, food rationing was rife and cheap sources of protein were few and far between, somebody had the bright idea to catch cheap fish in South Africa, can it and ship it to England.  Suffice to say it did not go down too well over here.  The Web is full of war years recollections penned by people who remember this weird fish with the hugely amusing name arriving and being inedibly bad.  A large proportion of the tins that were imported remained firmly on shop shelves (despite optimistic suggestions from the Ministry of Defence – like Snoek Piquante which seems to have become a kind of shorthand for everything unpalatable about food rationing!).  I must say, I’m pretty sure nobody I know in South Africa eats the stuff tinned (shudder) and general consensus is now that bad canning methods was to blame for much of the snoek’s unintended piquancy…

Camp essence is still sold.  I bought some for Mrs WWD to use in a recipe quite recently.  As per Futtocks' OP requirement, here is a link:

Camp Chicory & Coffee Essence | Morrisons

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Camp essence is still sold.  I bought some for Mrs WWD to use in a recipe quite recently.  As per Futtocks' OP requirement, here is a link:

Camp Chicory & Coffee Essence | Morrisons

A lot of people who like the money they are paid for getting red-faced and furious obediently got red-faced and furious about the change to the label.

"Brigades" were, inevitably, invoked: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-404516/Camp-coffee-forced-change-label-PC-brigade.html

Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A lot of people who like the money they are paid for getting red-faced and furious obediently got red-faced and furious about the change to the label.

"Brigades" were, inevitably, invoked: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-404516/Camp-coffee-forced-change-label-PC-brigade.html

I didn't realise that the Scottish soldier was meant to be a Gordon Highlander.  With a name like 'Camp Coffee', I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere about Gay Gordons, but in the interests of never offending anybody about anything, I will not pursue the point further!

When I was a kid, me and my sister used Camp Coffee to make quick iced coffees on a hot day. Very simple - a small measure of Camp, topped up with ice cold milk and sprinkled with cocoa - and very refreshing. We're all more sophisticated about coffee these days, and I think it would compare badly with an iced coffee made with a decent Espresso.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 17/05/2021 at 08:39, Johnoco said:

My brothers always told me of a party they went to in the 70’s. They only had this between them and another mate, who spilt it all over the table. Undeterred, he got a face cloth and proceeded to mop up the spilt beer and squeeze it out into a glass. 😩😩

And drink it. 😁

Nobody would have noticed.

It tasted as if it went through that process at the brewery.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived