Magic Weekend has been a raging success in Brisbane, but no public acknowledgment of the British origins of the idea.

The concept of the Magic Weekend was devised by the RFL as one of its few original ideas.

In 2021, the first year after Covid in Australia, the NRL has introduced the Magic Weekend with substantial crowds admitted. It has attracted over 40,000 spectators every day of the three days. That has amounted to more than 130,000 tickets.

I have watched most of the Magic Round, but I have yet to hear any acknowledgement of the role of the RFL in inventing and putting into practice the concept of the Magic Weekend.

This is poor form I am sorry to say. It shows a shocking lack of social etiquette. I would suggest that you all tweet former Wigan stand off Matthew Johns to vent your displeasure. You should do it either now, or after 11.30 am London time, while Johns' ridiculous Sunday night show show is on air. You might also try to tweet your displeasure to the NRL Twitter account, and to the Twitter accounts of NRL Chairman Peter V'landys, and also to the NRL's white South African born and educated CEO Andrew Abdo. In addition, if you have access to LinkedIn.com, you can send a message to Andrew Abdo's account there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

This is poor form I am sorry to say. It shows a shocking lack of social etiquette. I would suggest that you all tweet former Wigan stand off Matthew Johns to vent your displeasure. You should do it either now, or after 11.30 am London time, while Johns' ridiculous Sunday night show show is on air. You might also try to tweet your displeasure to the NRL Twitter account, and to the Twitter accounts of NRL Chairman Peter V'landys, and also to the NRL's white South African born and educated CEO Andrew Abdo. In addition, if you have access to LinkedIn.com, you can send a message to Andrew Abdo's account there.

For maximum impact all tweets should be at precisely 11:30 am GMT.

Get ready for countdown - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. - Thundertweets are go!

Sunday Night With Matty Johns has just started.

Please commence the Twitter blitz to express your dismay at the ungracious behaviour of the Australian rugby league media commentators.

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Please commence the Twitter blitz to express your dismay at the ungracious behaviour of the Australian rugby league media commentators.

Are they talking about state of origin yet?

To be honest they have copied the idea but the atmosphere for the fans inside and outside of the stadium isn't anywhere near the SL version. For some reason the Aussies don't do atmosphere at NRL games- always a bit flat and more like watching a NFL game in America. 

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Hope the NRL boses also steal the on the road aspect from super league as well and take this event to Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Auckland.

It has just been announced by the NRL CEO Andrew Abdo that the 2022 Magic Weekend will be held in Brisbane again. 

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

It has just been announced by the NRL CEO Andrew Abdo that the 2022 Magic Weekend will be held in Brisbane again. 

Probably the best call. Let the event take root and grow(already a major success) before taking it on the road.

14 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Have heard its` Super League origins referred to a couple of times, and once I think on t.v. when they interviewed one of the English players, but certainly not a lot of acknowledgement. Shame really.

14 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be honest they have copied the idea but the atmosphere for the fans inside and outside of the stadium isn't anywhere near the SL version. For some reason the Aussies don't do atmosphere at NRL games- always a bit flat and more like watching a NFL game in America. 

Mate are you kidding me ! every person I have heard interviewed have been having a ball, one of the great highlights I believe for most people has been all the different jerseys, old and new, that are being worn. Because a lot of people are neutrals for each game their is a real feeling of Rugby League supporters camaraderie. I can vouch for that as I went to the 100 years celebrations of the local Wingham Tigers on the weekend wearing my old Bears jumper, I had people slapping me on the back and approaching me all afternoon. I believe there`s something similar going on in Brisbane this weekend.

Couple of closer matches certainly would have helped hyping the crowd up though I`ll agree, but i`ve listened to most of it on the radio and all the sideline reporters for the ABC when they throw to them have been effusive about the atmosphere from ground level.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Probably the best call. Let the event take root and grow(already a major success) before taking it on the road.

And apparently they are going to stick with the three daynight format as well, would be great though if they could reward the crowd with a high profile match-up for the last game of each evening, wouldn`t be so bad sitting through a couple of games that are a bit of a mismatch or not of the highest quality if you know at the end of the night the last game will be a cracker. Hard to guarantee that though I suppose.

21 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

And apparently they are going to stick with the three day-night format as well, would be great though if they could reward the crowd with a high profile match-up for the last game of each evening, wouldn`t be so bad sitting through a couple of games that are a bit of a mismatch or not of the highest quality if you know at the end of the night the last game will be a cracker. Hard to guarantee that though I suppose.

They could choose the Saturday Game 3 and Sunday Game 3 a week in advance in order to satisfy the criteria which you rightly refer to. Shuffling the times certain matches are played for that reason should not upset the coaches and players.

Channel 9 mentioned it although Andrew Johns was under the impression it was played at Wembley and Old Trafford!

This second NRL Magic seemed far more successful than the first. I get the feeling it’s going to be perennial for a long time.

And, one day, I’ll be there!

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The concept of the Magic Weekend was devised by the RFL as one of its few original ideas.

In 2021, the first year after Covid in Australia, the NRL has introduced the Magic Weekend with substantial crowds admitted. It has attracted over 40,000 spectators every day of the three days. That has amounted to more than 130,000 tickets.

I have watched most of the Magic Round, but I have yet to hear any acknowledgement of the role of the RFL in inventing and putting into practice the concept of the Magic Weekend.

Well, yes, if you ignore the 2019 iteration that had crowds of 17113 (Thursday), 41388 (Friday), 41612 (Saturday) and 34564 (Sunday).

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Indeed Manfred, for I do think your demands for recognition are not far enough reaching. 

I will not rest until God Save The Queen is sung fervently by the players, officials and fans before every NRL game in acknowledgment of the sport’s beginnings.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Hope the NRL boses also steal the on the road aspect from super league as well and take this event to Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Auckland.

What's the equivalent of Leigh in Australia ? , They can take SOO there 🤔

Archived