Magic Weekend has been a raging success in Brisbane, but no public acknowledgment of the British origins of the idea.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/05/2021 at 14:00, GUBRATS said:

What's the equivalent of Leigh in Australia ? , They can take SOO there 🤔

The Outback.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Here you go manfred. It may not be public acknowledgment by the NRL bosses but at least some of the fans appreciate and acknowledge the origins of the “magic weekend.” Concept.

Watched this earlier, noted half the people interviewed said the Magic concept is from the Super League.

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Moving a successful event from heartland RL territory to Adelaide.

Mmmm - that sounds like one of the worst suggestions ever. 

All in the name of expansion.

I can see suncorp stadium becoming too small for this event soon.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

All in the name of expansion.

I can see suncorp stadium becoming too small for this event soon.

Yeah we can’t have a sold out stadium,how bad would that look.

On 16/05/2021 at 21:52, Man of Kent said:

Channel 9 mentioned it although Andrew Johns was under the impression it was played at Wembley and Old Trafford!

That sounds like Johns, ever the dolt, for a bloke whos` life is Rugby League he ought to know that.

But don`t worry it gets worse, they were talking about the fastest player the other day and he said Addo-Carr was clocked at 65km/h, that`s 40mph/hr , they all laughed in the box and he admitted he may have got that wrong. He`s a real clown.

30 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That sounds like Johns, ever the dolt, for a bloke whos` life is Rugby League he ought to know that.

But don`t worry it gets worse, they were talking about the fastest player the other day and he said Addo-Carr was clocked at 65km/h, that`s 40mph/hr , they all laughed in the box and he admitted he may have got that wrong. He`s a real clown.

Genius player and I rate his commentary (he spots things others don’t) but yeah, he’s no Einstein.

On 17/05/2021 at 08:24, Johnoco said:

Whilst it doesn’t *really* matter that the Magic Weekends origins aren’t totally acknowledged (IIRC it was actually Nigel Woods idea?)it’s perhaps another example how RL (or the RFL) think of things and don’t sufficiently put their stamp on it so that it’s undeniably ‘their’ thing. Like a Rugby World Cup for example. Were RU to start one, the general consensus would probably be that it was something they’d just thought of and not ‘oh that’s a RL idea’. More assertion is needed I think.

The first MW in 2007 (or Millennium Magic as was) was absolutely fantastic and is still one of the best weekends of my life.....but it wasn’t properly grown in Cardiff/Wales first before moving on. And that first one was the best I reckon too.....Gansongate anyone?

The Dragons Den people won't invest if the IP is not protected in some way. A leaf out of their book?

Wore my Southampton Spitfires polo shirt on Day 3.  Picked it up after chatting to a bloke wearing their gear at the Bristol RLWC game in 2013.  

Resident of Brisbane so happy to see it stay here. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

SWEEP: how long before the first whinge about the ref.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived