Another Magic Weekend Completed

What were your reflections this time round?

I saw on the other thread @The Rocketsinging praises of the event, whilst highlighting some likely hinderances for travelling fans.

Media favourite Toby Rudolph went on to say that he thinks there should be three of these a year in different locations. An interesting idea. Maybe launch the season with one, a second mid season before SOO and then close out the regular season with a third.

@Anita Bath, you were there all weekend. Are you all Rugby League’d out?

For me it was okay without being sparkling.

I suppose it was the draw for the round that didn't pitch many even battles.

There's such a difference between the top and bottom teams this season so far and this round just confirmed this.

For me one of these rounds is enough. Three would mean some clubs giving up two home games. That's not fair to season ticket holders.

I suppose this particular magic round will be remembered for the spell put on it by the head protecting directive resulting in a lot of sin binning and some send offs.

I still like the idea of a magic round. I'd give this one just 6/10 though.

Okay, maybe 7/10 as the attendances were good.

47 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What were your reflections this time round?

I saw on the other thread @The Rocketsinging praises of the event, whilst highlighting some likely hinderances for travelling fans.

Media favourite Toby Rudolph went on to say that he thinks there should be three of these a year in different locations. An interesting idea. Maybe launch the season with one, a second mid season before SOO and then close out the regular season with a third.

@Anita Bath, you were there all weekend. Are you all Rugby League’d out?

Yes!  On a serious note...eight games ....only one was close and that by two of the lower ranking teams ...Bulldogs and Canberra. We need to see more close games.

Great to see so many fans from all over the place and a weekend of great weather....All three Queensland teams got beat....two by a shirt load of points...and they are likely to bring in another Queensland team. I suppose by playing each other they can all get points. The Broncos have to be grateful there is no relegation....they are terrible...and with roosters and storm to play over the next two weeks we have to hope Kevvy has a plan!

Its getting a bit like the premier league...4 or 5 teams with a chance and then the rest making up numbers. Between 2010 and 2016 there were 7 different champions in 7 seasons and 10 of the 16 teams made a final. Hard to look beyond Panthers/Melbourne/Roosters again this year.

Its wonderful to see  Benji Marshall still mesmirising opposition teams. He did it a few weeks ago at the Titans and again this weekend. In the same category as Ellery. Someone we can say to our grandchildren, I saw him play. I really was lucky to have been born early enough to have seen Billy Boston, Alex Murphy, Tommy Bishop etc but lasted long enough see the likes of Benji as well as the crop of exciting young players on show now. Sadly many of them passed through Brisbane one way or another but are showing their stuff in other colours.

Comparing rounds with previous seasons there is a marked reduction in the number of close games.  Something the NRL used to be noted for and something the authorities should be worried about.

Also I dont understand why the The Queensland League would have a full slate of games ....the season is only into week7, the Q has already had two bye weeks and theres a split round over the next two weekends but there was a full schedule up against the festival of NRL magic in Brisbane.

On the controversy with upping the ante on high tackles...long overdue...but it goes back to Jack Gibsons fascination with the NFL...at least I think it was him who went to North America in the 70s and studied NFL approach that changed the approach to tackling in RL. Never understood the tackling high approach with tackled players able to advance yards after contact....I was taught by my games teacher....the great Graham Starkey...cant run bout legs..... Watching old videos of cup finals and internationals it is interesting to see how tackling was predominantly down low and wrestling was for the hour before the football results on Saturday afternoon.

I really didn’t enjoy it tbh . To many one sided games , but most of all the great decision to implement the great new clampdown right before it which caused mayhem . Honestly some of the things I watched out there I was just shaking my head . We needed a rebalancing but seriously , it’s a complete joke . The judiciary will be working 26 hours a day till next week . We never sent guys off , barely put them in the bin but now they’re firing them out for owt at all . Complete overreaction just spoiling the game . We’ve lost all middle ground common sense and perspective .If you’re gonna do such a big change it has to be in the off-season , not overnight as a reflex reaction to your own failings of officialdom . And while I’m at it , what about this flinging yourself down to get an obstruction . Nathan Cleary , seriously . It’s like football . So many areas I just don’t like the way it’s gone with how we’re playing  and officiating it . Everything is under the microscope of the bunker, who are viewing the game in a way it’s just not meant to be viewed in ,  and on the other hand players are working the system accordingly . I don’t know why we need a ref he’s becoming redundant 

It lacked close game's to make it really interesting, there were a few games like the last one (Panther's V Titans) where one team built up a big lead at HT only to ease off in the second half, I began to wonder if they had been told by officials to do that it was happening so often.

I was just watching a compilation of the all the high shots that were pulled up over the weekend , and the Fuimaono and Ese’ese ones which were send offs looked no different to some which were ten minutes . 

Not the best matches I've seen this season, but unless the NRL fiddle with the Magic fixtures once they know who's playing well at the start of the season, that what you sometimes get.

They also wanted each day to finish with a Queensland side in action, which meant that Day 1's grand finale was the wretched Brisbane Broncos getting a spanking. The Cowboys put up a much better show on Saturday, then the Titans had nearly 50 points put on them to cap the weekend.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived