where did you go

In many ways I would like to post this in the main forum as the aim is to get people who only follow Super League to know what is on there doorstep

For the next few weeks I will post about the match visited and hope others will do the same

May 15 Kinsley Hotel Raiders 10 Sheffield Hawks 42

This year the Yorkshire Mens has sensibly regionalised division 5 into four leagues. 

The hosts played at Vale Head Park when I previously saw them. on a wet day, which it was when I visited, that can only be described as bleak/ The now play in the centre of the village.

They have now moved to the centre of the village, opposite the Greyhound track. There is an enclosed football pith called Kinsley Boys and adjacent a small park, which was roped off on each side for the Rugby. Changing facilities were inside the football ground. This may have been the first match on the ground.

For division 5 Sheffield have recruited well, Menzies Yare has signed but was not playing and I was told three players had semi pro experience including Darren Forde ex Fev and Keighley. Hawks unsurprising ly scored early and were I think 24 up at half time. Kinsley did however score twice for a final score of 10 42

Hawks had earlier tweeted the match was in a public park so spectators were allowed. The crowd of over 100 included tony Smith whose son plays for Hawks  

• Like 2

On 16/05/2021 at 20:08, groundhopper said:

In many ways I would like to post this in the main forum as the aim is to get people who only follow Super League to know what is on there doorstep

For the next few weeks I will post about the match visited and hope others will do the same

May 15 Kinsley Hotel Raiders 10 Sheffield Hawks 42

This year the Yorkshire Mens has sensibly regionalised division 5 into four leagues. 

The hosts played at Vale Head Park when I previously saw them. on a wet day, which it was when I visited, that can only be described as bleak/ The now play in the centre of the village.

They have now moved to the centre of the village, opposite the Greyhound track. There is an enclosed football pith called Kinsley Boys and adjacent a small park, which was roped off on each side for the Rugby. Changing facilities were inside the football ground. This may have been the first match on the ground.

For division 5 Sheffield have recruited well, Menzies Yare has signed but was not playing and I was told three players had semi pro experience including Darren Forde ex Fev and Keighley. Hawks unsurprising ly scored early and were I think 24 up at half time. Kinsley did however score twice for a final score of 10 42

Hawks had earlier tweeted the match was in a public park so spectators were allowed. The crowd of over 100 included tony Smith whose son plays for Hawks  

May 22

Headed south today for my fix

It is always to see new teams start and whilst many fall by the wayside, others continue to develop. 

Today was the first game for Canvey Knights who use the RU facilities. I cannot recollect any other RL game taking place on an island in Great Britain. Travelling there there is however little feeling of being on an island, just a muddy creak to cross.

Canvey is part industrial, oil refinery, scrapyard and partly 20th century suburbia but the area to the ground gives an indication of what it must have looked like years ago, the ground being bordered by a creek and former marshland. The whole island is reclaimed from the sea and flooded badly in 1953

As for the match, the visitors Invicta Panthers were also playing their first game at least under that name but have existed on an off for years and may have a tenuous link apart from the name with Kent Invicta.

It would not be unjust to describe than as unprepared. Only eleven players travelled and like many RU players they were not physically prepared for RL especially with no breaks for scrums etc. Canvey lent them two and late on a further Canvey player came on a sub having therefore played for both sides. Injuries affected them early and they had 11 or 12 for much of the match.

It would be unfair to criticise, this was the first match for the players in either code for some time and I noticed pre game they were also playing at 3 youth age groups today so would have been thin on the ground. 

Invicta were 10 up early, 28 10 behind at half time and 58 14 when the ref, who was provided by Invicta either due to a no show or no appointment, called a slightly early finish after another injury.

There are now 4 teams in Essex so some local games which is good and hopefully there can be further development

• Like 5

Barrow Island  ARLFC springs to mind but a  great post Hopper.

The NCL swung in to action yesterday with derby matches everywhere.

Surprisingly quality stuff on show  yesterday after a 14 month lockdown at St Pats v Leigh Miners. This friday evening they welcome another heritage club in Pilkington Recs. Can't wait....

May 29

Tameside Knights 62 Blackpool Stanley A 40

There have been teams on and off in Tameside for some time including in I think the Pennine League but considering the proximity to Oldham, surprisingly little. 

The difference is not one of geography but schools where Union is strong in Tameside and Ashton RU where the game took place, one of at least three RU teams.

Tameside play in the merit league and could probably play higher but they are pretty much a combination of Ashton's two RU teams and can only play until training begins for the other code.

Blackpool Stanley are on of two teams in the town and this was the first time at least for many years they had fielded an A team. 

Initially it looked like a huge score for hosts with the first 20 points at more than one a minute. 

It would be fair to say defences were not on top with some tries just forced through the defensive line but the visitors fought hard and scored 7 tries in a match with over 100 points   

• Like 1

I watched Dockers v York Acorn 

Good win for Dockers 

Acorn should have had more points on the board after pressing Dockers try line for most of the 1st half 

Dockers worked hard in defence and probably deserved the win 

Very entertaining game played in hot conditions 

Another set of 6 should not be using in amateur rugby . Games fast enough without making defending teams keep on defending . 

3 hours ago, henage said:

I watched Dockers v York Acorn 

Good win for Dockers 

Acorn should have had more points on the board after pressing Dockers try line for most of the 1st half 

Dockers worked hard in defence and probably deserved the win 

Very entertaining game played in hot conditions 

Another set of 6 should not be using in amateur rugby . Games fast enough without making defending teams keep on defending . 

We had a young ref who never gave another set, it was far better

• Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

We had a young ref who never gave another set, it was far better

1st half York seemed to get 6/7 extra sets 

Never turned the leg up into points 

Dockers looked out on there feet with 5mins to half time 

Lucky for them they scored a nice try on the whistle . Dockers got two extra sets early in the 2nd half . Certainly help them to score a couple more tries . 

13 hours ago, henage said:

1st half York seemed to get 6/7 extra sets 

Never turned the leg up into points 

Dockers looked out on there feet with 5mins to half time 

Lucky for them they scored a nice try on the whistle . Dockers got two extra sets early in the 2nd half . Certainly help them to score a couple more tries . 

We became guilty of forcing the ball from the first whistle when we didn't have to, we tend to leak a few points when we bring on guys who are union orientated, it has happened in all three games so far 

• Like 1

I watched Dewsbury Celtic comfortably beat Batley Boys a couple of weeks ago. One off from either side for fighting. Celtic are a youngish side with some pace in the backs

Last Saturday I wandered down to watch Batley Boys play Eastmoor. The away team were comfortably in the lead until Batley had a player sent off which seemed to turn the game on its head with Eastmoor hanging on 28-24 at the end

One observation rather than a criticism the ball pinching rule has increased the number of attempts but also making the ref’s job nigh on impossible to judge correctly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

I watched Dewsbury Celtic comfortably beat Batley Boys a couple of weeks ago. One off from either side for fighting. Celtic are a youngish side with some pace in the backs

Last Saturday I wandered down to watch Batley Boys play Eastmoor. The away team were comfortably in the lead until Batley had a player sent off which seemed to turn the game on its head with Eastmoor hanging on 28-24 at the end

One observation rather than a criticism the ball pinching rule has increased the number of attempts but also making the ref’s job nigh on impossible to judge correctly. 

Most rule changes benefit the TV camera's and the upteen officials they have connected by wire, the poor guy on a Saturday afternoon is on a hiding to nothing

• Like 5

Yesterday I wandered down to watch the first home game of Worcester Jaguars v Somerset Vikings in the West of England league.  Final Score Jags 28 - 52 Vikings.

Bizarrely Worcester Jaguars play at Droitwich Rugby (Union) club WR9 7DU and not in Worcester, but that suits me just fine as I can walk there

The Vikings looked a well organised side with some big units, some skillful (and rather cocky) backs (one clear uni union player shouting "kick to me, Worcester, kick to me" at restarts). The bench and coach looked very detailed and communicative with the team throughout - he even had a clipboard.!

Jags looked a lot less so. There was some really commitment in the ruck, but they lost their shape out wide on lots of occasions. The real difference though was the play the ball. I couldn't see any huge difference up front. But the Vikings play the ball was so much faster, not sure if it was the ref not cracking down till well into the second half, that Somerset were clearly holding down for ages as a tactic, or Jags were being naive and werent. 

A few big individual efforts with a ball steal try from the right wing, and one of the forwards somehow wrestling himself over with three Vikings on the tackle, and some good kicking, kept the Jags in it at 22-24 down at half time.

Sadly territory pressure told and led to some Viking walk ins in the first 20 mins of the second half. Once Jags started to throw it about and go for short kick offs some quick 1st tackle tries led to a bit of a blowout score.

Still, even with some covid restrictions at the bar and the result, a great sat afternoon in the sun. I cant make the next home game, but will be there for Bath's visit in early July.

• Like 4

June 5

Bath Gladiators 28 Reading 32

Looking for a fixture foir yesterday and fancied going South West before the summer traffic makes it difficult and the choice is amazing. The previous post relates to Droitwich/ Worcester and further south  All Golds made their Bristol debut and beyond that there was Devon at Newton Abbot and Tarka Storm at South Molton, a small market town in North Devon.

Three hours in Bath is always appealing and was the choice although the club do not paly in the city. There has been a reasonable RL history in the city, originally in the 80's in the winter and more recently Bath and Wiltshire Romans out of Corsham and Melksham

This season Bath have done what a few other southern based sides have done and located to a sports facility which was barely used, the route followed by Elmbridge, St Albans and Nottingham. the location is a village called Farmborough which whilst upmarket is actually surrounded by mining villages. The North Somerset coalfield is not one of the more well known.

The village has a village hall and separate sports field and it appears the cricket club have folded leaving a vacancy which Bath are improving. 

The opposition were Reading who came into the game with two large victories whilst Bath had suffered two close away defeats. The match was well refereed with  two the culprits of two high tackles being given the benefit of the doubt. When queried he indicated he would not have done so for more experienced players and there was clearly no malice. 

Reading started well including a penalty try, rarely seen at this level but Bath fought back and took the lead twice before a close finish at 28 32.   

• Like 4

My word, you really are well travelled, Groundhopper!. Interested to get your thoughts on Droitwich, I mean Worcester, Jaguars if you catch them at all versus the others on the Western League you've seen. Think the Jags may struggle this year. 

Groundhopper you refer to the All Golds making their Bristol debut, that wasn't yesterday but on May 22 against Swindon St George. The "A" team played yesterday at home, but their home games are still at St. Peter's in Gloucester. All details are on the website All Golds Rugby Football League Club | the official website . The SCL team enjoyed a day out in Devon.

• Like 1

Monday evening fixture (7/6) at Sharlston Rovers, who hosted Bramley Buffaloes in the Yorkshire League's First Division. Great set-up Rovers have - superior to many grounds in the National Conference League.

Highlight of a fairly poor game was a length-of-the-touchline Sharlston solo try five minutes before the break. 10-0 at half-time, 22-4 come the final whistle. Four tries to one. About fair.

Way too much niggle in the second half. Bramley had a player sin-binned in each half.

I put the crowd at about 235, including circa 50 supporting the visitors.

Free admission but donations requested via a pitchside woolly hat collection.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3

On 06/06/2021 at 10:27, groundhopper said:

June 5

Bath Gladiators 28 Reading 32

Looking for a fixture foir yesterday and fancied going South West before the summer traffic makes it difficult and the choice is amazing. The previous post relates to Droitwich/ Worcester and further south  All Golds made their Bristol debut and beyond that there was Devon at Newton Abbot and Tarka Storm at South Molton, a small market town in North Devon.

Three hours in Bath is always appealing and was the choice although the club do not paly in the city. There has been a reasonable RL history in the city, originally in the 80's in the winter and more recently Bath and Wiltshire Romans out of Corsham and Melksham

This season Bath have done what a few other southern based sides have done and located to a sports facility which was barely used, the route followed by Elmbridge, St Albans and Nottingham. the location is a village called Farmborough which whilst upmarket is actually surrounded by mining villages. The North Somerset coalfield is not one of the more well known.

The village has a village hall and separate sports field and it appears the cricket club have folded leaving a vacancy which Bath are improving. 

The opposition were Reading who came into the game with two large victories whilst Bath had suffered two close away defeats. The match was well refereed with  two the culprits of two high tackles being given the benefit of the doubt. When queried he indicated he would not have done so for more experienced players and there was clearly no malice. 

Reading started well including a penalty try, rarely seen at this level but Bath fought back and took the lead twice before a close finish at 28 32.   

Great report . 

Bit late to this one but just seen it - great thread!

5/7/21

Leigh East 0-20 Wigan St Pats

Really warm, played on astroturf, must have been difficult for the players (not a dig at East, just saying). First half mainly played in the East half, and they did well to keep Pats out for long periods. Second half was a bit more even but Pats were that bit more clinical and capitalised on the smaller share of possession they seemed to have.

• Like 2

St Pats lucky with the fixture formula so far as they have home games.

That said a great prospect in place for this saturday when Woolston  visit. These '  local  'derbies when clubs have not met for so long given the usual divisional structures are more than welcome - by the way many results are  throwing up surprises - this mix seems to be working.......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, del capo said:

These '  local  'derbies when clubs have not met for so long given the usual divisional structures are more than welcome

Absolutely, it's a nice to see teams you don't normally see paired up playing one another. Hopefully it'll give the so-called lower league sides a good boost as well in terms of players being willing to play for them, experience etc.