where did you go

Eastern Rhinos 28 Bedford Tigers 22

You can usually tell who are the established teams in the south by the nicknames, those who have been around longest took theirs from the top sides, newer once’s take something more local.

indeed Eastern Rhinos go back through Ipswich Rhinos and Felixstowe back to at least 1992 and Bedford although replacing a previous team called Swift’s to a similar date. Both started off as winter teams

Rhinos play in Colchester now and are members of the Southern Conference. Unlike some places visited this year, clubs in this are very much clubs not just a group of lads playing as a team and planning year to year. This game is considered to be a derby but the sides are close to 100 miles apart. The London sides dominate this league with a strong antipodean element and strength on the field is essential. 

Bedford in particular are running numerous sides and had senior, A, U18 and ladies all turning out this weekend. 

Rhinos were always slightly the stronger and the result was not really in doubt at any time but was competitive at all stages and only a converted try separated the team.

The venue whilst ideal for the hosts, was not to my liking. Rhinos were tenants at Colchester RU for many years and they sold up and moved even further out of town. The football ground is visible from new and old sites and was, at least when I visited known as the community stadium, no doubt using the word community scored a few planning points. The ground was solely for football and what community there was, were only involved in making parking impossible near their houses. There was a nearby park and ride which could not be used so fans had to drive into town to get a bus which passed shoppers on a bus going into town from the park and ride. 

This facility again reflects planning policy not usage. I assume the old ground has been built on and a similar amount of sports facility had to be provided, albeit on what was green belt. The rugby club saw what was happening and took their area and built their own bars and other means of income stream, but not spectator facilities, the first being the priority of all RU clubs. The remainder of the space has a leisure centre which was unused on a Saturday pm apart from a bike track and a cafe where five teenagers were employed to twiddle their thumbs. I imagine it runs at a huge loss and will become run down.

The match took place inside a cage with spectators not allowed in side but with concrete steps to sit on outside to peer through a meal fence. Most stood on the top step to try and peer over. 

I have never been to a facility of this type twice 

Anyway rant over and more about the game itself next week

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I popped down the road to see the Batley Boys v Dewsbury Moor local derby which the visitors won 42-6

Moor were bigger and faster all over the pitch and deserved their victory.  A red and yellow for each team although it wasn’t that type of game. 

13 hours ago, LeeF said:

I popped down the road to see the Batley Boys v Dewsbury Moor local derby which the visitors won 42-6

Moor were bigger and faster all over the pitch and deserved their victory.  A red and yellow for each team although it wasn’t that type of game. 

Have the Boys lost a few players?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Have the Boys lost a few players?

I think so but they lack any real size or pace. They have had at least one red each game so far

The Moor looked a very good team. Fairly well organised young team with some decent size and pace about them

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 10:47, groundhopper said:

Eastern Rhinos 28 Bedford Tigers 22

This facility again reflects planning policy not usage. I assume the old ground has been built on and a similar amount of sports facility had to be provided, albeit on what was green belt. The rugby club saw what was happening and took their area and built their own bars and other means of income stream, but not spectator facilities, the first being the priority of all RU clubs. The remainder of the space has a leisure centre which was unused on a Saturday pm apart from a bike track and a cafe where five teenagers were employed to twiddle their thumbs. I imagine it runs at a huge loss and will become run down.

The match took place inside a cage with spectators not allowed in side but with concrete steps to sit on outside to peer through a meal fence. Most stood on the top step to try and peer over. 

I have never been to a facility of this type twice 

Anyway rant over and more about the game itself next week

This is really useful feedback and I agree with it. To enjoy the game at this venue, you need height. The sports centre has a great viewing balcony to cater for around 50 that we hope can be used by speccies if/when Covid dies down. The place has only been open a few months and, like you say, the Council needs to get the facility used more as it feels too quiet on a Saturday pm (it is rammed every Saturday am).

I had a ride around Wigan yesterday to get a game  and caught the second half of a masters game at St Judes.. Full contact guys ?

Decent crowd , lovely weather , all the benches filled in their very expansive spec area . Enjoyable game and the result was  definitely secondary to us all  getting  back on the park.

Took a look around their club offering to the Community.  5 playing fields  . all weather G3 pitch , state of the art gym, outdoor assault course for the kids ( as if they need it in Worsley Mesnes -  Beirut is often safer ) VIP lounge and 500 plus members with  about 22 teams turning out each week

Some people need to stop knocking this game. We are not in a bad spot.

This morning went down to Ince Rose Bridge to  watch my grandson with the mini Bridgers . For 5 year olds.

Chorley Panthers squads ' little ones ' . were playing  on the main  outdoor space pitch. Excellent attitude from both organisers and especially spectators throughout

More than convinced that our game is in safe and responsible hands

Uplifting weekend.

• Like 1

June 19 2021

Wales

Aber Valley 10 Bridgend Blue Bulls 26

This is a five team league this year with Torfaen have returned to the league at least temporarily from the Southern Conference and all five are well established clubs. 

This may in fact be a problem as there are no enough clubs for 2 divisions and this being arguably the highest standard of the southern regional leagues, there is no room  for recreational players. New teams join but often have a short shelf life.

The main town in the valley is Senghenydd infamous for the worst mining disaster in British history with 440 deaths. Entry to the valley is from Caerphilly with otherwise only mountain roads 

I saw Aber Valley when then they played at Senghenydd RU but they have now moved to Aneurin Park, presumably names after Aneurin Bevan who for anyone who does not know the name, should be researched and once voted as the 45th greatest Briton.

It would be difficult to think of anyone now in politics worthy of having a building park or institution manes after them. Maybe we could name branches of the serious fraud squad after a few at present.

The park is a lovely place to watch rugby on a nice day, the club fence the pitch and there are grass banks on two sides with benches.  There was a steady stream of people passing through and maybe 100 watching.

Bridgend known as the Blue Bulls were founded in 2003 and in their early days could attract a crowd of 1000 for big games. They are the most successful amateur club in Wales and were dominant today 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

June 19 2021

Wales

Aber Valley 10 Bridgend Blue Bulls 26

This is a five team league this year with Torfaen have returned to the league at least temporarily from the Southern Conference and all five are well established clubs. 

This may in fact be a problem as there are no enough clubs for 2 divisions and this being arguably the highest standard of the southern regional leagues, there is no room  for recreational players. New teams join but often have a short shelf life.

The main town in the valley is Senghenydd infamous for the worst mining disaster in British history with 440 deaths. Entry to the valley is from Caerphilly with otherwise only mountain roads 

I saw Aber Valley when then they played at Senghenydd RU but they have now moved to Aneurin Park, presumably names after Aneurin Bevan who for anyone who does not know the name, should be researched and once voted as the 45th greatest Briton.

It would be difficult to think of anyone now in politics worthy of having a building park or institution manes after them. Maybe we could name branches of the serious fraud squad after a few at present.

The park is a lovely place to watch rugby on a nice day, the club fence the pitch and there are grass banks on two sides with benches.  There was a steady stream of people passing through and maybe 100 watching.

Bridgend known as the Blue Bulls were founded in 2003 and in their early days could attract a crowd of 1000 for big games. They are the most successful amateur club in Wales and were dominant today 

If anyone could find say £50 k to cover the travel  for a season  many of the NCL clubs would jump at the chance  of a trip down there and especially an invite back home . Would be good for everyone. Would definitely lift standards and unite our sport.

Once repped a good few St Pats players who thought it might be a good idea to push a boat out into Swansea Bay to get to Ireland after a particularly helpful reception from our Welsh entertainers. The Welsh Police gaolers understood the nature of the oval ball game....need I say more ? We all got home on the team bus.

As for pit disasters - when the Maypole in Wigan  went up in 1908 my grandad lost brothers - of three survivors one was a Farrell relative  ..... the name lives on....

Willows to watch Dockers A v West Hull A 

Game went down to the wire . Wests won with a drop goal with a few minutes to go .

Wests dropped the ball from the re-start . Ref signalled  Dockers ball , then whistled for full time .

Lots of effort from both teams , wests played more rugby , should have had more tries , credit to Dockers for some great goal line defence .  

I pitched up to Parsons Meadow this afternoon to watch St Judes  play St Pats in their  first derby for a good few years.

Magnificent game of skill, effort and spirit played in sunny weather before a crowd well in excess of 1200.

St Judes defied their previous form to blister to a 24 - 8 half time lead before Pat's clawed their way back into it to 24 all. Golden point looked likely with 2 minutes to go  before Pats slotted over a 2 pointer  for the win , , only to see Judes have  a try disallowed at the death.

Lots of banter , lots of catching up with old friends, super atmosphere. Bar takings had already gone past 2k I was told as I left at  5pm.....

• Like 1

June 26 Hull

Bilton Bears 0 Hull Dockers A 80

It’s good to be watching up north again. There is just a difference in the nature of the game when played by those brought up on it.

I was late in discovering the local league in Hull and have only seen a few at home with wonderful venues like the Graveyard and Orchard Park surrounded by flats and wish I had seen more the now not used pitches. The Hull and District League appears to have folded and the Yorkshire Men’s has had the sense to put most Hull teams together in Div 5 East. That may result in some mismatches but it is better than forcing teams at this level to travel to Halifax, Bradford etc.

Bilton went into the game with a nil five win lose ratio and with a heavy home defeat in one of the division 5 could be argued to be the worst rated league side. They are however categorically not and would have competed and probably won against a couple I have watched this year. 

They also managed to get an A team out earlier in the day and look a good club all round apart from results. 

I last saw Bilton at Eastmount, a large open space with sometimes more than one game at once, but they have back to the village this season but apart from the fact this is East Yorks not Hull nothing looked different and the village can only be described as very dull. 

The ground is behind the village hall and was roped in each side. I have seen clubs share with football, union, cricket, cycling and probably other sports but behind the posts is the venue for axe, knife and tomahawk throwing. Thankfully they were not using the venue today and the pitches do not overlap.

Dockers were simply stronger especially a tall number 10 who could run through the Bilton defenders with relative ease and scoped a few tries. One disadvantage of groundhopping is you fail to recognise players. He would have shared man of the match with the referee, I am told only 18 and able to be almost invisible as the best refs are. 

Clearly a one sided game with Bolton down to 10 at the end but they did no works with  10 than 13 and are a much better side than the result suggests

• Like 1

With Covid striking hard this week I returned to my RL  Alma Mater for the visit of Bolton outfit Westhoughton Lions to  St Pats. I wanted to see how clubs  ' fringe  '  to the Heartlands are doing.

The Lions are more than a decent team and have especially in the backs good strikers on a pitch as big as  that at the Pats ( Odsal take note ). Entertaining and easy on the eye rugby - is our sport  all the  more enjoyable when the intensity is removed in favour of the lads just having a go ?

Westhoughton took the points. Pleasant afternoon........

Meanwhile at NCL level Thatto Heath and St Pats  derby over at Crusader Park  I am told had just about everything in a titanic arm wrestle that had yellows . a red and a 10 -10 draw even after  extra time - neither  side could nick the golden point !

History made. It won't happen again at our level.

Love this game..........

• Like 1

Watchable Yorkshire League Division Four derby at Glebelands (a public park) between Garforth Tigers and Kippax & Swillington Miners. The visitors won 18-6 to register a third win in six outings this season. A fair size crowd - about 130. Thankfully, it stayed dry.

Five straight defeats now for bottom-placed Garforth but they were good value in a keenly contested game. Tigers had 'tries' ruled out in the 23rd and 35th minutes, for a double movement and a knock-on respectively. In stoppage time, Miners seized on a Tigers fumble to race 75 yards for a converted try under the posts and a 6-0 half-time lead.

Similarly tight after the break. A narrow pitch contributed to defences being on top. Miners added two more tries, in the 57th and 66th minutes. Each again under the posts and each converted.

Garforth kept going and, in the 78th minute, scored a deserved consolation try. Bravely taken, too. Close enough to the sticks for the extras to be added.

Decent entertainment.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

Glad to see others posting and hopefully a few others will even if only visiting local clubs.

For myself a very local derby with two sides less than a mile apart.

I think it is accepted the North East shows real potential and after the success of the Hurricanes last year, a second team has started in Hartlepool.

For those that don’t know the town is the hotbed of RU a in the North East, West Hartlepool were in the Premiership when the game went professional and a lack of funds to compete with those with huge backers caused then to first struggle, then sell the ground and now compete in the lower divisions. I am told the town has six clubs.

Unusually the RL sides appear to be primarily players almost entirely from the club they are based at. 

The home team are called Friarage Falcons, the name of the ground where Hartlepool Rovers have played since the 19th century. There is cover a long most of one side and an old rusty stand I had seen from the adjacent railway line has been replaced by a smaller one on the opposite side. There is some terracing on three sides

Hurricanes have had the better start to the season and had won the earlier match on their ground but Falcons were always in control scoring 10 tries to 3 and winning 54 18 

What was noticeable yesterday was that the early season enthusiasm seems to have finished and my first four choices of game, all in the heartlands were cancelled and whilst Covid may be a factor, the difficulty of confirming fixtures is back and could be a serious concern when RU training starts again 

8 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Glad to see others posting and hopefully a few others will even if only visiting local clubs.

For myself a very local derby with two sides less than a mile apart.

I think it is accepted the North East shows real potential and after the success of the Hurricanes last year, a second team has started in Hartlepool.

For those that don’t know the town is the hotbed of RU a in the North East, West Hartlepool were in the Premiership when the game went professional and a lack of funds to compete with those with huge backers caused then to first struggle, then sell the ground and now compete in the lower divisions. I am told the town has six clubs.

Unusually the RL sides appear to be primarily players almost entirely from the club they are based at. 

The home team are called Friarage Falcons, the name of the ground where Hartlepool Rovers have played since the 19th century. There is cover a long most of one side and an old rusty stand I had seen from the adjacent railway line has been replaced by a smaller one on the opposite side. There is some terracing on three sides

Hurricanes have had the better start to the season and had won the earlier match on their ground but Falcons were always in control scoring 10 tries to 3 and winning 54 18 

What was noticeable yesterday was that the early season enthusiasm seems to have finished and my first four choices of game, all in the heartlands were cancelled and whilst Covid may be a factor, the difficulty of confirming fixtures is back and could be a serious concern when RU training starts again 

We have come to an agreement with our local union team, the Tuesday session will be a combined affair at their ground and the Thursday session also a combined affair will be at ours and game day orientated,their pre-season games will be played on a Friday evening and any of their players selected in our 20 man squad will not play for the union club, we have promised to honour the deal, I'm sure they are going to try and entice us to play from their venue in the future,

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 04:22, del capo said:

Barrow Island  ARLFC springs to mind but a  great post Hopper.

The NCL swung in to action yesterday with derby matches everywhere.

Surprisingly quality stuff on show  yesterday after a 14 month lockdown at St Pats v Leigh Miners. This friday evening they welcome another heritage club in Pilkington Recs. Can't wait....

Strictly speaking Barrow Island hasn't been an island for many years now and Barrow Island don't play on it anyway.However a couple of minutes across Walney Channel brings you to Walney Central ARLFC who are based on an island

1 hour ago, daveh said:

Strictly speaking Barrow Island hasn't been an island for many years now and Barrow Island don't play on it anyway.However a couple of minutes across Walney Channel brings you to Walney Central ARLFC who are based on an island

My apologies.

Yes Walney Central.

Is that where a good goal kicker can put the ball in to the Irish Sea ? Maybe like at Kells ?

7 minutes ago, del capo said:

My apologies.

Yes Walney Central.

Is that where a good goal kicker can put the ball in to the Irish Sea ? Maybe like at Kells ?

Potentially but it would have to be bloody windy as there is a golf course between the ground and the coastline

• Haha 1

I'm going to watch the Rob Burrows game between Goole Vikings v Ackworth Jaguars this Friday night at the Victoria Pleasure Ground, Goole, it's an all ticket (£4.00) affair because of Covid.

I'll also be taking in the Moorends-Thorne Marauders v Woodhouse Warriors game the following day being played on the Moorends Recreation ground, Grange Road, Moorends, DN8 4NA, 2.30pm Kick-off.

• Like 1

In case anyone was going - Just been told the St Albans - North Herts Knights game is off tomorrow.  Apparently a lot of the North Herts lads have been in contact with a covid carrier and have to isolate.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Went to the Goole Vikings v Ackworth game last night in aid of Robbie Burrows, £4.00 entrance (cheap for the occasion) plenty in the ground (400 to 500) well run occasion by the Vikings.

The game was a bit of a one sided affair as the West Yorkshiremen dominated from start to finish in every department, from this showing they'd have run well in the First/Premier division in the YML, Goole got themselves a consolation try at the death to bring the final score to 38 - 4 in Ackworth's favour - Man of the match Ackworth's number 7, he seemed to be everywhere.

Edited by Marauder

Couldn't possibly miss the visit by arch rivals from across the canal , Ince Rose Bridge to St Pat's last night.

Huge crowd. Great game . Really entertaining. The game was in the balance with 10 minutes to go and Bridge going close 3 / 4 times before Pats used the width of their field  to get in their wingers for three late tries. 30 - 12 to the home side .

Off the park queuing for a beer took 15 minutes so maybe an opportunity lost for revenue  ( cans outside would have gone like wildfire.) They would have shifted hundreds of burgers as well if food had been available .

Ref Tara Jones worthy of praise. She handled this potentially fiery encounter particularly well. Ably assisted by two touch line officials who are definitely needed at this level when available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Couldn't possibly miss the visit by arch rivals from across the canal , Ince Rose Bridge to St Pat's last night.

Huge crowd. Great game . Really entertaining. The game was in the balance with 10 minutes to go and Bridge going close 3 / 4 times before Pats used the width of their field  to get in their wingers for three late tries. 30 - 12 to the home side .

Off the park queuing for a beer took 15 minutes so maybe an opportunity lost for revenue  ( cans outside would have gone like wildfire.) They would have shifted hundreds of burgers as well if food had been available .

Ref Tara Jones worthy of praise. She handled this potentially fiery encounter particularly well. Ably assisted by two touch line officials who are definitely needed at this level when 

Got to agree with you, was a good old fashioned derby that is needed more regularly.  I think the current format is working well. Something for the clubs to think about. 

Shame about the situation with the bar,  never got a chance to enjoy a pint with our old  foes. Believe it or not many of whom are now good mates. We are now to old to be anything else !!!

• Like 2

Division Five (North) of the Yorkshire League this week. Seacroft Sharks (third) beat Birstall Victoria (fourth) 28-16.

Seacroft led 22-0 at half-time after playing down their ground's noticeable slope. Tries in the fourth, 13th, 20th and 39th minutes. All bar the fourth converted. The fourth was a 50-yard solo effort.

Eight minutes into the second half, Seacroft went 28-0 ahead thanks to another converted try. Virtually every time the home team got in the Birstall 25, they touched down.

Finally, Birstall, who despite the score had competed pretty well, made an impact on the scoreboard. They went over in the 55th, 65th and 74th minutes. The second two tries were converted. Had Birstall not opted, shortly after their third try, to pass inside with a two man overlap, they surely would've added a fourth.

A decent crowd of about 130 on a muggy afternoon included a good turnout of Birstall supporters.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

July 10

Agreed to drive the eldest son to Sussex to collect a car and the only easily accessible ground was Elmbridge Eagles who are at present unable to use their own ground. That is a very long story which was explained to be by the father of one player. 

What a club they are, being based just outside London in Esher but as a club having existed for over 30 years and I assume the longest running amateur team in the South East. Trying to confirm the fixture, I found they has three youth teams away at different venues and on arrival discovered a girls match, possibly under 16. Only caught 20 mins but what enthusiasm and some fairly committed tackles.

The opposition was London Skolars A but the teams can have little connection. On arrival I found they had 9 and seemed unclear if others were coming. The kick off was put back by 30mins and it was agreed they would play 9 a side until the others arrived. my assumption that were no others was proved wrong when 4 others arrived  10 mins into the claim and a few others later on. With the meet scheduled fir 1.30pm I cant understand how players could be 1 hour 45 to 2 hours late even allowing for a major flower show ar Hampton Court had they come that way, especially as my delay afterwards was only 10 mins. 

The score was 18 6 after 10mins when the game went to 13 a side and although I am probably not accurate I believe 104 to 10 at the finish. I have seen worse teams than Skolars, who were simply beaten by the impressive pace of the Eagles. Clearly conceding 100 points in a merit league indicates none will be likely to be playing in the championship this year.       

• Like 2