where did you go

After Fridays night's game (Goole v Ackworth) I was prepared for our home game Moorends v Woodhouse Warriors (Leeds) Sadly our club got the dreaded call that they only had 8 players available around 1.20pm saying they wouldn't be travelling.

This news was a massive blow to us as our division (YML Div 5 South) could well be decided on points difference come the end of the season with Sherwood Wolf Hunt and Sheffield Hawks in the driving seat in this department.

I then travelled to watch the Bentley v New Earswick game only to find that one was also off.  I ended up watching a game from our division between Kinsley Hotel Raiders v Dearne Valley Bulldogs.

After missing the first 20 minutes I was treated to a game of very entertaining rugby league football with both teams looking well above a division 5 status, Dearne Valley ran out comfortably winners 46 - 4 on the scoreboard but IMO the score didn't reflect the effort put in by Kinsley and how close the game had been.

We don't have a fixture for the next two weeks (Challenge cup this week and a wedding the week after) so I'll be taking a game in this Friday, I'm looking to go and watch Doncaster Toll Bar v Goole Vikings, the following weekend I'm in Newcastle so I'll look for a game to go to up there. 

• Like 2

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 2 weeks later...

Myton Warriors v Hull Dockers 

Myton started like an house on fire going 12 nil up within the 1st few minutes .

Dockers did well to keep themselves in the game , working hard in defence plus getting a score on the board themselves .

Game was flowing nicely 1st half , referee hardly blowing his whistle .

Different story 2nd half . Ref started to blow his whistles pea to death  . Not sure why things changed . Game seemed to be played in the right spirit . 

Only one attempt at goal missed all afternoon .

Dockers just taking the win by 2 points . Could have gone either way . 

Good crowd watching , good facilities shared with Marist Rugby Union Club 

On 29/07/2021 at 14:52, Marauder said:

I'll be at the Kinsley Raiders v Moorends-Thorne Marauders  this weekend, our first game for three weeks, fingers crossed we get off the bus at the first whistle.

Game postponed, Kinsleys ground has a tribe of Travellers camping on it!!!

• Sad 1

I was going to walk down to Droitwich Rugby to watch Worcester V Gloucester today; but I've been looking on social media and can't find anything about it. Does anyone know anything about the West of England league and know if these two clubs are playing today?

44 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I had heard that Worcester had dropped out of the league which is strange as they had such grand ambitions, their last post on fb is about appointing a general manager

Bizarre. They seemed like a great start up set up. I might bowl down there this afternoon anyway and see. Such a shame if theyve gone pop. They were signed up for the euro xiiis too. 

48 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

They were signed up for the euro xiiis too. 

I wonder what is happening to Euro x111s if it is still going to happen as Dean Buchan is running Bath Gladiators now and trying to resurrect Bristol Sonics.

All Golds have dropped out of the West League, heard players not happy. Another club with grand designs and big announcements 

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

I wonder what is happening to Euro x111s if it is still going to happen as Dean Buchan is running Bath Gladiators now and trying to resurrect Bristol Sonics.

All Golds have dropped out of the West League, heard players not happy. Another club with grand designs and big announcements 

Just been informed the RFL have stopped the West of England League for 2021. So perhaps neither team have ceased, just the league has stopped.

5 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Just been informed the RFL have stopped the West of England League for 2021. So perhaps neither team have ceased, just the league has stopped.

Maybe though both Worcester and All Golds last three results are 24 0 to the opposition, last game Worcester played was at the start of July with a 60 odd point defeat.

Also I saw Bath tweeting yesterday about their game today 

Edited by Impartial Observer
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Impartial Observer said:

This is the link to the scores

Rugby League (rugby-league.com)

Thanks. That doesnt really tell us what's going on though. Rather than being postponed, Bath are playing Oxford today in what they are calling the "West of England Plate Final." Others seem to have just stopped. Theres no media as far as I can see about what's actually going on. 

This is my take on what is likely to have happened based on experience of watching at this level for over 10 years. I have no basis to back this up and it is opinion only.

It is not difficult to have plans and a few enthusiasts to start an RL club anywhere. It seems now the website is the first step and a few likes are given on here for the website and the enthusiasm

Finding and RU club to host is next, again not hard, possibly pitch rental for usually pitch 3, the promise of bar revenue and the possibility of poaching neighbouring clubs players when RU starts help.

A few training sessions especially after lockdown and numbers are food, the first game can be a large win to a heavy defeat but either way the players are playing for fun and have not always made a commitment. One heavy defeat and suddenly enthusiasm for a long motorway trip wanes. Travel with 13 and get thrashed and suddenly the numbers are not there.

Then the fact we are not football kicks in, there is no pool of older players, 17 year old and those not getting a game elsewhere and it is not possible to get a team out. See my reports above for Invicta Panthers and Skolars A.

No shows cause problems for the top teams then, if you have won four for four a team with three defeats and a forfieit won’t travel and suddenly you are playing away games only.

Mid July is difficult and August when RU training starts worse.

Those clubs still playing therefore arrange play off and I believe the plate is third v fourth. There may be a grand final today or next week. 

My experience says do the new clubs early and the established one especially up north late. Droitwich RU goes on the missed list again as Chester refused to play against a previous Worcester side because of the state of the pitch 15 to 20 years ago on the previous RU ground

As for the last three weeks, I planned to go to Bramley but visitors had Covid, but watched there A team at Leeds Akkies. Decided on Bramley again last week to find they have moved to West Leeds RU a nice ground with some cover so missed Bramley Phoenix RU again.

This week another trip to Hull for Hull Wyke v Farnley. Never checked the table but visitors were disappointing. I think that is 13 grounds in Hull and 7 more in East Yorks/ East Riding and only Kingswood at the fairly new Willows ground to go. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

This is my take on what is likely to have happened based on experience of watching at this level for over 10 years. I have no basis to back this up and it is opinion only.

It is not difficult to have plans and a few enthusiasts to start an RL club anywhere. It seems now the website is the first step and a few likes are given on here for the website and the enthusiasm

Finding and RU club to host is next, again not hard, possibly pitch rental for usually pitch 3, the promise of bar revenue and the possibility of poaching neighbouring clubs players when RU starts help.

A few training sessions especially after lockdown and numbers are food, the first game can be a large win to a heavy defeat but either way the players are playing for fun and have not always made a commitment. One heavy defeat and suddenly enthusiasm for a long motorway trip wanes. Travel with 13 and get thrashed and suddenly the numbers are not there.

Then the fact we are not football kicks in, there is no pool of older players, 17 year old and those not getting a game elsewhere and it is not possible to get a team out. See my reports above for Invicta Panthers and Skolars A.

No shows cause problems for the top teams then, if you have won four for four a team with three defeats and a forfieit won’t travel and suddenly you are playing away games only.

Mid July is difficult and August when RU training starts worse.

Those clubs still playing therefore arrange play off and I believe the plate is third v fourth. There may be a grand final today or next week. 

My experience says do the new clubs early and the established one especially up north late. Droitwich RU goes on the missed list again as Chester refused to play against a previous Worcester side because of the state of the pitch 15 to 20 years ago on the previous RU ground

As for the last three weeks, I planned to go to Bramley but visitors had Covid, but watched there A team at Leeds Akkies. Decided on Bramley again last week to find they have moved to West Leeds RU a nice ground with some cover so missed Bramley Phoenix RU again.

This week another trip to Hull for Hull Wyke v Farnley. Never checked the table but visitors were disappointing. I think that is 13 grounds in Hull and 7 more in East Yorks/ East Riding and only Kingswood at the fairly new Willows ground to go. 

I need to buy your book, dude. When you get round to writing it. Can you do a crowd funder thing? I can see me lapping it up by the pool when we are allowed to go on proper holidays again.

If I get a bit more involved in the Jaguars, if they keep going, next year, perhaps I can suggest a match that will be 100% on for you to pop by; I'd love Droitwich to be in the book. The set up now is amazing. Bacon butty on me if you do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I need to buy your book, dude. When you get round to writing it. Can you do a crowd funder thing? I can see me lapping it up by the pool when we are allowed to go on proper holidays again.

If I get a bit more involved in the Jaguars, if they keep going, next year, perhaps I can suggest a match that will be 100% on for you to pop by; I'd love Droitwich to be in the book. The set up now is amazing. Bacon butty on me if you do.

Would have been at the Jaguars today had it been on as needed to be local but ended up 120 miles away but managed to drop the wife off at the restaurant with mins to spare

As for the book, you need to do something interesting and have a style of writing that makes others want to read and even with a spellchecker think I would fail the second.

Will let you know if I do get a match at Droitwich but don’t forget if the. Islands league is still playing Birmingham are at Kings Norton which is in Hopwood and the other Worcester team at Birmingham Solihull

14 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Would have been at the Jaguars today had it been on as needed to be local but ended up 120 miles away but managed to drop the wife off at the restaurant with mins to spare

As for the book, you need to do something interesting and have a style of writing that makes others want to read and even with a spellchecker think I would fail the second.

Will let you know if I do get a match at Droitwich but don’t forget if the. Islands league is still playing Birmingham are at Kings Norton which is in Hopwood and the other Worcester team at Birmingham Solihull

Neither walking distance though = no pints. You are far  more committed than I I think.

What's the other Worcester team? Is it NEW Ravens? They used to play in Bromsgrove which is one train stop, but I never managed to get down there (kids too young) until they left for somewhere else. 

There does seem to be a nice pool of middling local teams round here.

Edited by thebrewxi

51 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Neither walking distance though = no pints. You are far  more committed than I I think.

What's the other Worcester team? Is it NEW Ravens? They used to play in Bromsgrove which is one train stop, but I never managed to get down there (kids too young) until they left for somewhere else. 

There does seem to be a nice pool of mediocre local teams round here. Wish they were a bit better organised. I've offered my services 🙂

Birmingham and Solihull RFU is the new home ground for the Ravens.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Took a trip up to Thornhill Trojans v Sherwood Wolf Hunt today; a friendly.

Good, open game, finished 48-40 to Thornhill, but an encouraging display from Sherwood, particularly in the second half. 

Sherwood are a well drilled side.

Travelled down the East Lance to Ashton yesterday to watch the Bears 'A' team take on league leaders Butrtonwood Chargers in a Division 5 game.Terrific defensive performance from both sides in the first half that saw just one converted try to the home team.Ashton held out for about 20 mins in the second but eventually the Chargers wore them down and scored 3 tries in the last quarter to take a good game 14-6.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Sherwood are a well drilled side.

They are. I have seen them several times at home in recent years and they certainly play like a team that know what they are doing. Glenn is a very good coach IMO, with a really positive approach to player development. He's appears to be a decent chap too, which helps with the way he manages his players.

• Like 2