where did you go

On 30/07/2021 at 17:27, Marauder said:

Game postponed, Kinsleys ground has a tribe of Travellers camping on it!!!

Travellers Rest ARLFC?

Seem to remember a team or similar named team from the National Cup in the 80's&90's but based in Widnes was never sure where they were from? Did they actually exist and where are / were they from - Wakefield area?

28 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Travellers Rest ARLFC?

Seem to remember a team or similar named team from the National Cup in the 80's&90's but based in Widnes was never sure where they were from? Did they actually exist and where are / were they from - Wakefield area?

They were a team from Featherstone

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Travellers Rest ARLFC?

Travellers are/was a Featherstone based side who joined with Jubilee to form Featherstone Lions - The travellers I was referring too are the gypsy type,

• Thanks 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

August 7 

West Bowling

i have a lot of sympathy for the above

They wanted to stay playing winter but had to drop a standard and in order to return to the NCL had to give up their ground as it shared with cricket

They moved to a local rec which on a nice day was a great place to watch RL sitting on a bench at the top of a steep grass bank. Adjacent to Odsal it may have been less attractive with rain and a northerly wind.

Facilities may have been a problem but the decision was made to move to Horsfall stadium, the home of Bradford Park Avenue FC.

the ground is poor for their level and the seats need a good clean but it could be argued it is the best ground in the NCL but probably no one favourite with a running track surrounding the pitch

There were not many games on today outside the heartlands so I choose this without checking the table but with top of the group playing bottom, the match was never likely to be competitive. There are obviously going to be more mismatches with the structure of local groups but on balance I think that was a sensible idea for this season.

However Bowling scored in the second minute and were better throughout.

Just Askam if they return and Hensingham for the NCL to visit 

• Like 1

We travelled away to Hemsworth Dragons a little light in key areas, I was secretly a little worried as every game in our division has now become a cup final for the top three teams, however the guys who came in and the ones who adopted a different role for the day did themselves proud,

Both teams  contributed to an open game with their willingness to throw the ball around,  Hemsworth where guilty of dropping the ball on a good few occasions whilst in good attacking positions.

The final score (6 - 40) probably reflected the difference between the two teams on the day,  Hemsworth's never stopped trying throughout the game with every player giving 100%

Next week our division see's 1 v 3 & 4 v 2, IMO all four of these teams would run OK 2 or 3 divisions above.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2021 at 21:36, thebrewxi said:

Ah, moseley. My old stomping ground before the kids and my move to the shires. 

No, Bees.

Birmingham & Solihull RFC is out by the M42 junction, Moseley FC(RU) are on the border of Moseley and Yardley Wood.

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

No, Bees.

Birmingham & Solihull RFC is out by the M42 junction, Moseley FC(RU) are on the border of Moseley and Yardley Wood.

Ah, sorry. They are calling themselves "Birmingham Moseley" for some reason now, so I thought you meant them

Skirlaugh v Docker's

Decent game , ref went ok .

Dockers had to hang in a few times during the game . Skirlaugh looked to be taking control straight after halftime . Couldn't quite put Dockers to the sword  .

Last 20 mins Dockers started to play a bit more open rugby . Wasn't until the LAST few minute Dockers went two scores in front . Final score Skirlaugh 20 Dockers 28 

• Like 1

Excellent game on the Rec at Moorends between the Marauders and Sherwood Wolf Hunt, both teams needed the win to keep their aspirations alive.

The game was played hard but fair throughout the 80 minutes with the Marauders taking an early 8-point lead with two unconverted tries out wide.

Inter-passing between the Marauders stand-off and full-back saw the home side increase their lead with a converted try (14 – 0)

Wolf Hunt kept themselves in touch with a converted try mid-way through the half (14 – 6) The Marauders hit straight back with try and a touch line conversion (20 – 6)

Wolf Hunt grabbed themselves a lifeline after a fantastic break down the right wing saw their acting half scoot down the blind side for a well deserved try, touch line conversion added, (20 – 12)

Half time 20 – 12.

Early in the second half the visitors put a high cross field kick just outside the Moorends in goal, lucky for the Marauders their 3 to 1 out numbered winger came away with the ball and raced eighty metres, from the play the ball Moorends went over under the posts for a converted try (26 – 12)

After a dominant period Moorends extended their lead with another converted try (32 – 12) and with ten minutes to go the Marauders about sealed their win with a further converted try, (38 – 12)

The Marauders let in a slopy late try as two defenders danced around the ball from a kick to nothing, whilst the Marauders indecisions were going on the Wolf Hunt pounced for a converted try, (38 – 24)

Full-Time 38 – 24

Great referee (Carl Hughes) for this game, in his first season after retiring from the playing professionally, he needs to be fast tracked by the RFL, Best I’ve seen since Leef!!!

• Like 2

Todmorden 36 Illingworth 10

Surprise result with the visitors going into the game with 9 wins from 9 and the home team about 50/50. 

I think this is the first year for Todmorden, although I have a programme from the national cup v Hensingham from 1997. That was played at Castle Vale Park close to the town centre then and early Facebook posts suggested the same but only training was there.

Home now is known as Woodhouse, a basic venue, of the type that makes the travelling worthwhile. Leaving the main road to Sowerby Bridge a mile out of town the road crosses the river by a narrow bridge with a mill converted to housing. Going uphill are the changing rooms and at least a quarter of a mile further there is a small car park serving a fishing lake and the pitch. Once inside no buildings are visible just a steep hillside and woodland. The pitch was roped down each side.

Expecting an away win it was no surprise when the visitors went 6 nil up but it was 12 10 to the hosts at half time who then dominated the second half. 

attendance of about 80

Some photos taken on phone and will post if family assist a technophobe

• Like 3

On 31/07/2021 at 13:09, thebrewxi said:

Thanks. That doesnt really tell us what's going on though. Rather than being postponed, Bath are playing Oxford today in what they are calling the "West of England Plate Final." Others seem to have just stopped. Theres no media as far as I can see about what's actually going on. 

Just seen on FB that Worcester are holding trials for players to go on semi pro contracts 🙄

Went to a game on the 7th August Fryston v East Leeds just to watch a game what an experience the home crowd 

matched anywhere else I have been for hostility. Both teams played well but the crowd seemed to wind the home

team up which was a very young team. Ten minutes before half time with East Leeds 12 points in front it all kicked

off and the spectators thought the game had been abandoned. But all credit to the referee he did something I have 

never seen before instead of abandoning the game which he would have been justified in doing instead he sin binned all 26 players. Surprisingly this worked and it was a good natured game after this East Leeds came out the winners quite easily at the end but my praise and congratulations are to the referee who handled the game brilliantly and praise should be given when deserved so many times have I seen them abandoned games for less. 

Sorry for the lateness in posting this.

• Like 3

On 16/08/2021 at 08:52, Impartial Observer said:

Just seen on FB that Worcester are holding trials for players to go on semi pro contracts 🙄

Yep. Saw that a while back and keeping quiet. Wanted to raise here but scared what people would say. What division are they in? No one seems to know. I posted a bit if a blind "are they starting a super league south" on another post but I'm sure that isnt what's going on.  Not convinced there is a plan... Worried.

So, now you've raised the semi pro post theyve put out there (with no indication of  what league they'll be playing in for Jaguars hierarchy...)

...thoughts? Does anyone know their plan? What's happening with Bristol and All Golds (and Bath?) next season too? 

Edited by thebrewxi

18 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Yep. Saw that a while back and keeping quiet. Wanted to raise here but scared what people would say. What division are they in? No one seems to know. I posted a bit if a blind "are they starting a super league south" on another post but I'm sure that isnt what's going on.  Not convinced there is a plan... Worried.

So, now you've raised the semi pro post theyve put out there (with no indication of  what league they'll be playing in for Jaguars hierarchy...)

...thoughts? Does anyone know their plan? What's happening with Bristol and All Golds (and Bath?) next season too? 

They were talking about going into confernece league south but since they couldn't fulfil their games in the western league i doubt they would be allowed in to a higher league

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Bonkers. Can't understand the plan and also don't see the point of it given they're bottom of West of England league. They surely won't be allowed in to CLS having blobbed games so are they really going to play lads to travel down from the North to play in the West of England league? And who would bother?

They must be paying their new coach a fair sum to tempt him from the NW. He has probably said he can bring players with him.

Hull Dockers V Heworth 

Game went down to the last kick of the game , which missed , giving Heworth the win .

Really close game today , both teams playing well , dockers defending for long periods .

Dockers attack got more predictable as Heworths forwards gained the upper hand , having said that Dockers try after halftime was a fantastic piece of running rugby .

The young ref did well , few head high tackle maybe needed a yellow card or two .

Two good teams playing some good rugby , 12.30 ko to allow people to go and watch FC v KR . 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 14:34, Wanderer said:

Travellers Rest ARLFC?

Yes - Featherstone - Joined with Jubilee to form Featherstone Lions.

• Thanks 1

Thursday night Hull Docker V Beverley 

Easy win for Dockers in the end .

You score we score start to match .

Dockers slowly took control , ref had a good game , kept the game moving .

Beverly sounded like a poor pub team , calling for a forward pass nearly  every pass dockers did . 

Both from the players and touch line .

2nd time Dockers have had this ref , impressed with how he handled the game .

Heard a ref had been attacked over in Leeds , player been arrested . 2nd hand details so might not be 100% correct .

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley v Hull Dockers 

Played at a fantastic venue in Molescroft which is a posh village attached to Beverley .

Beverley took a 12 point lead , looked the stronger , better organised and fitter .

Credit to Dockers how scored two well worked tries to tie scores going into halftime .

Dockers looked to play a more open game with ball in hand early in 2nd half .

This seemed to be working well , then it wasn't as Beverley  found an extra gear or two to pull away from a very tired Dockers team .

Stop start game , two sent off , ref went well . 

Good crowd watching , great facility , well done to Beverley , hope they can secure a long stay at the ground .

Edited by henage
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2021 at 21:35, groundhopper said:

Todmorden 36 Illingworth 10

Surprise result with the visitors going into the game with 9 wins from 9 and the home team about 50/50. 

I think this is the first year for Todmorden, although I have a programme from the national cup v Hensingham from 1997. That was played at Castle Vale Park close to the town centre then and early Facebook posts suggested the same but only training was there.

Home now is known as Woodhouse, a basic venue, of the type that makes the travelling worthwhile. Leaving the main road to Sowerby Bridge a mile out of town the road crosses the river by a narrow bridge with a mill converted to housing. Going uphill are the changing rooms and at least a quarter of a mile further there is a small car park serving a fishing lake and the pitch. Once inside no buildings are visible just a steep hillside and woodland. The pitch was roped down each side.

Expecting an away win it was no surprise when the visitors went 6 nil up but it was 12 10 to the hosts at half time who then dominated the second half. 

attendance of about 80

Some photos taken on phone and will post if family assist a technophobe

I think that fairly useful prop Neil Cowie ( Wigan ) signed from Todmorden in the day ....... but great to see them back.

• Like 1