where did you go

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Gold Coast Rugby League finals day at CBUS stadium yesterday

5 games concluding with A grade Southport Tigers V Burleigh Bears. Bears were minor premiers but Tigers beat them at Burleigh earlier in the play offs.

It was a 7 try romp for Tigers with a final score of 40-0.

Admission was $15 ($5 concessions) for the entire day and included public transport. 

Wests are playing wynnum manly in the Brisbane league final on sunday while next weeks Q final is Defending premiers Norths v Redcliffe Dolphins at Redcliffe. 

I should have noted that Tigers were captained by Greg Bird and included two members of the Folau family.

• 7 months later...

I'll resurrect this thread, seeing as I watched an amateur game outside the NCL on Saturday (6/5).

I saw West Bank Bears (ex-NCL, of course) score three converted tries in the last 13 minutes of normal time to win 22-12 at North West League Division Three rivals Higginshaw. Victory over third-placed Higgy took Bears top (leaders Crosfield 'A' didn't play). Deserved, too. West Bank dominated a second 40 spent almost entirely in the home half. Bears scored first, in the ninth minute, but trailed 4-12 at half-time after Higgy crossed in the 36th and 39th. The referee managed to sin-bin five (including a double). Seemed over the top to me. 

Rated the Higginshaw ground, located in what felt like a woodland clearing. The pitch - benefiting from recent drainage work - looked in great condition. The groundsman had 'striped' the grass. The top of a bank on the east side is a fine vantage point. Accessed via a steep climb up Crompton Street, north Oldham, the ground is elevated. Above the trees, to the northwest, you can glimpse the Rossendale hills. I counted 92 spectators. Umbrellas needed because of steady rain throughout. Only drawback for Higginshaw, as far as I could see, is the distance between pitch and clubhouse. A three-minute drive, I was told.

Earlier in the season, again outside the NCL, I saw Leeds Akkies win 24-22 at Harrogate Hawks (Yorkshire League Division Four A, 28/4), Newsome Panthers beat visitors Doncaster Toll Bar 36-22 (Yorkshire League Premier Division, 1/4) and hosts Westgate Common see off Crosfields 36-18 (11/2) in the Challenge Cup first round. Respective crowds I put at 93, 160 and 330.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Watched the Heworth-West Bowling NCL Division One top-of-the-table clash on July 8. West raced 16-0 up after 27 minutes and, having added a fourth try in the 39th minute, were 22-6 ahead at half-time. Only points in the second half were an unconverted Heworth try, in the 74th minute, reducing the deficit at full time to 10-22. West Bowling - second time I've seen them this season - again looked a useful side. £2.50 admission, £1 for a 16-page programme. Circa 185 present at Elmpark Way, whose covered terrace was handy when the heavens opened.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Hunslet ARLFC-Rochdale Mayfield for me this afternoon (July 15) in the Premier Division of the National Conference League. Circa 335 present at Hunslet Oval to see the hosts capitalise on a strong wind behind them in the second half to overturn an eight-point interval deficit and win 16-12. Victory keeps Hunslet ARLFC three points clear of Wath Brow Hornets, comfortable winners at Hull Dockers.

Hunslet ARLFC crossed first, in the 12th minute, but Mayfield went over in the 25th and 37th minutes, adding the extras for a 12-4 advantage. First Mayfield try, from inside their own half, was a cracker. Hunslet ARLFC edged the verdict by scoring converted tries in the 56th and 60th minutes. Not much in it. Close but no classic. Amazingly, given the heavy rain about, it stayed dry during the game. £3 admission and £2 for an 18-page printed programme (available as a free download from Hunslet ARLFC's socials).

https://www.flipsnack.com/warriorsopenage/rochdale-mayfield.html?fbclid=IwAR2ok9emlKMvnRQUN9uDkV_pMjaYNOOUzkkfdfSf95wxi8qSeG08gav0EjU

Edited by Hopping Mad

Pennie Way to see Hemel Stags v Bedford Tigers.

Couldn't stay for the whole game but I've been meaning to get to Hemel for a while as I live about half an hour or so up the road. Nice set up, crowd was maybe 40-50, made up of families of players, kids who looked like they'd had a game earlier and a few local club members. Nice little bar decked out with lots of Hemel Stags memorabilia. The stand was closed for some reason, maybe they only open when expecting a bigger crowd.

Hemel players looked a bit younger and smaller than the Bedford lads, someone said the team was nearly all local Hemel kids who had played through the underage teams. They were just as game as the Bedford lads though to be fair to them but the game just started to get away from them.

I'll definitely be back. My first taste of the community game and I enjoyed the bit of the game I got to see and my pint, despite the windy weather.

• Like 1

Got stung today (22/7) by a postponement.

Cottingham Tigers versus Skirlaugh Bulls (Yorkshire League, Hull Division) was on, according to the RFL website, when I left home. Yet, an hour later, when I arrived at Hilltop, it was off. All locked up. Postponement confirmed, by the RFL website, by the time I got back home.

Neither club appear capable of using social media. A joke. Emphasis on AMATEUR rugby league.

As most amateur rugby league watchers will know, you're really trusting to luck whenever and wherever you drop below the National Conference League.

Why can't the RFL put contact details for all clubs on their website? It's basic stuff. 

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Sadly, this is not uncommon in amateur RL these days mate. Another one is you turn up and they kicked off earlier and it's half way through, or, it's advertised Saturday and you turn up to find it was played Friday. I've had them all mate. Some times it can't be helped because I have been involved in clubs and we have been informed that the opposition are not coming an hour and a half before kick off. It is getting worse. I'm more into non league football now. Went to TNS (Oswestry) last Tuesday and Vauxhall Motors (Ellesmere Port) on Saturday. At the moment I only watch amateur RL in Lancashire, when I know nothing can go wrong.

35 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Sadly, this is not uncommon in amateur RL these days mate. Another one is you turn up and they kicked off earlier and it's half way through, or, it's advertised Saturday and you turn up to find it was played Friday. I've had them all mate. Some times it can't be helped because I have been involved in clubs and we have been informed that the opposition are not coming an hour and a half before kick off. It is getting worse. I'm more into non league football now. Went to TNS (Oswestry) last Tuesday and Vauxhall Motors (Ellesmere Port) on Saturday. At the moment I only watch amateur RL in Lancashire, when I know nothing can go wrong.

Annoyingly, the other four games I fancied were all played. One of which I ruled out because there wasn't a dickie bird about the match on either club's social media. Plenty, mind, about the ****ing Under-8s!

Never have this problem with recreational cricket.

From this weekend, I'll be switching to non-league football.

Edited by Hopping Mad

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2023 at 10:25, Hopping Mad said:

Annoyingly, the other four games I fancied were all played. One of which I ruled out because there wasn't a dickie bird about the match on either club's social media. Plenty, mind, about the ****ing Under-8s!

Never have this problem with recreational cricket.

From this weekend, I'll be switching to non-league football.

I find this really annoying. You don't have to be a social media expert or an IT whizz to put fixtures, times, changes etc on twitter or Facebook. If you can't do it, someone else will. Takes 2 mins. There's somethings we can blame the RFL for but sometimes clubs need to actually do the very basics right.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Had a great weekend to kick off 2024.

Saturday at the Queens Hotel in Leeds featured the RFL President's Ball. Warrington fanatic Sir Lindsay Hoyle entertained with a lively and inspiring introduction castigating the authorities on their lack of true recognition for our own 'Sir Kev ' when they can happily give out a second knighthood to the other lot , before moving on to help presenter Tanya Arnold in the charity auction . where he auctioned a bottle of his own privately supplied single malt ' Speaker Hoyle's Select ' for £700 ! All proceeds  as always helped boost the coffers of Rugby League Cares.

Before that shindig though I managed to squeeze in the first round CC game between Leeds outfit Oulton Raiders and Bradford's West Bowling. This clash between two NCL sides did not fail to entertain.

The Raiders pressed early and often but the Bradford defence was up to the task and by half time they had broken out themselves several times and amassed a  seemingly unassailable lead.

A different story in the second half though as the home side rallied and rattled up their own points before eventually being beaten to the finishing post.

A decent crowd of at least a couple of hundred  braved bright but cold weather. Both sides produced excellent attacking football . This was my first visit to Raider Park. Thoroughly enjoyable - great setting  with warm friendly clubhouse  overlooking expansive  wicket and playing fields and more importantly serving excellent Guinness. Will be a good afternoon out for  anyone seeking quality community rugby this season.

After saturday night cobwebs needed to be blown away so sunday took me home back down the M62 to Wigan  where Orrell St James took on on their rivals from the other side of Billinge Hill in St Helens club Haresfinch.

A massive crowd of well over a 1000 trooped down to the venue and were in fine spirits through an absorbing , occasionally tasty encounter. Another exhibition of skills and endeavour but the home side always had the better of it. I'm told a wide audience enjoyed the TV coverage and there are fine comments on other threads here.

The clubhouse again rammed. Good to see plenty of community  and Odd Balls apparel on show.  Some of our older stalwarts  sometimes moan that the game is only supported by an ageing following of dyed in the wool males.

Not on yesterdays showing in Leeds and Wigan.

Thriving crowds of mixed aged  sexes, families , mums and dads and surprising numbers of older teenagers to add to old buggers like me.

As even the Blockheads  might say, plenty of  ' Reasons to be Cheerful '.  Bring on 2024......

• Like 2

On 15/01/2024 at 00:07, del capo said:

Had a great weekend to kick off 2024.

Saturday at the Queens Hotel in Leeds featured the RFL President's Ball. Warrington fanatic Sir Lindsay Hoyle entertained with a lively and inspiring introduction castigating the authorities on their lack of true recognition for our own 'Sir Kev ' when they can happily give out a second knighthood to the other lot , before moving on to help presenter Tanya Arnold in the charity auction . where he auctioned a bottle of his own privately supplied single malt ' Speaker Hoyle's Select ' for £700 ! All proceeds  as always helped boost the coffers of Rugby League Cares.

Before that shindig though I managed to squeeze in the first round CC game between Leeds outfit Oulton Raiders and Bradford's West Bowling. This clash between two NCL sides did not fail to entertain.

The Raiders pressed early and often but the Bradford defence was up to the task and by half time they had broken out themselves several times and amassed a  seemingly unassailable lead.

A different story in the second half though as the home side rallied and rattled up their own points before eventually being beaten to the finishing post.

A decent crowd of at least a couple of hundred  braved bright but cold weather. Both sides produced excellent attacking football . This was my first visit to Raider Park. Thoroughly enjoyable - great setting  with warm friendly clubhouse  overlooking expansive  wicket and playing fields and more importantly serving excellent Guinness. Will be a good afternoon out for  anyone seeking quality community rugby this season.

After saturday night cobwebs needed to be blown away so sunday took me home back down the M62 to Wigan  where Orrell St James took on on their rivals from the other side of Billinge Hill in St Helens club Haresfinch.

A massive crowd of well over a 1000 trooped down to the venue and were in fine spirits through an absorbing , occasionally tasty encounter. Another exhibition of skills and endeavour but the home side always had the better of it. I'm told a wide audience enjoyed the TV coverage and there are fine comments on other threads here.

The clubhouse again rammed. Good to see plenty of community  and Odd Balls apparel on show.  Some of our older stalwarts  sometimes moan that the game is only supported by an ageing following of dyed in the wool males.

Not on yesterdays showing in Leeds and Wigan.

Thriving crowds of mixed aged  sexes, families , mums and dads and surprising numbers of older teenagers to add to old buggers like me.

As even the Blockheads  might say, plenty of  ' Reasons to be Cheerful '.  Bring on 2024......

Plenty of reasons to be cheerful in 2024, until the new rules are in place and the games are ruined by a multitude of penalties that would have probably spoiled the enjoyment of those 2 fixtures you attended. The orrell v haresfinch fixture, having watched it on the sportsmans channel would have attracted a mass of penalties for high tackles, which simply under the pro rules this year wouldn't be, but will be under the community rules, and most of the tackles weren't dangerous but ball and all which were being applauded by the commentators. 

My concern is, coaches and players study, copy and learn from the pro game, however there'll be nothing to compare to, and if the current rules are so damaging to the players and game, then why are the new rules not being rolled out across the board. The game will be a lottery week to week, dependent on interpretation from refs, some will be strict I'd guess and some more lenient, and some for part of a game and some for the full 80. 

Yep, role on 2024, and the continued demise of rugby league, from within

• 1 month later...

The NCL launched the Community Game today and I wandered down to Twist Lane Leigh  to see the tussle between two of the all time Greats - Leigh Miners and Wigan St Patricks , both now re adjusting  in a Division  below that  that they had  for so long occupied at  the very top flight.

Billed as the  ' Battle of the Borough ' this did not disappoint.

A lack of feeder players from juniors over the recent years caused the Visitors to struggle to  even put out a team until last week - a lesson that NCL  management have been hammering- all clubs need to take note  - the kids are so vital - but a mix of youngsters and Old Guard turned up on a heavy pitch to produce a truly compelling game. No one would have argued with a draw but no doubt the Wigan side happy with a last minute  2 point penalty kick.

The officials did really well with the new interpretations. Two touch judges and a camera ref is clearly the way to go.  Obviously instructed to ease the new interpretations into place , most infringements  involved improper play the balls. Few issues with arm pit level tackles.

Club house packed. Double whiskey  a decent  £4.50 . Ground improvements - sheltered  spectators area and  on field grub shed - as well as pub style feel to the lounges- make for a welcoming visit. Have a look if you get the chance.

Looking at the scores in the NCL  today listed so far the vast majority  of games have been excellent contests. We're off !

Next week  I go to Bentley in Doncaster who entertain Hensingham from Cumbria.  Heartlands extremes meeting at another new official clubhouse opening .One not to miss you South Yorks  faithful.....

As  one who was privileged to be at WCC , we are ' moving all up '.

Glass more than half full for the Community Game 2024

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Thanet Road, Dringhouses, on 17/3, to watch Challenge Cup community game heroes York Acorn's 2024 NCL opener. An enjoyably open, lively contest, and a very good Acorn performance - during the first half, certainly - against Whitehaven-based Kells. Five tries to two, it finished, as Acorn won 28-12 (HT 22-6).

Kells paid for a slow start, which saw them trail 0-16 after 27 minutes. Acorn crossed in the first, 10th, 27th, 39th and 70th minutes. Couple of eye-catching tries from the hosts, notably one set up by a superb break down the left flank and another by a fine pass slipped out of a tackle. Acorn's left-footed stand-off kicked four conversions. Kells, whose last tackle options were poor, scored tries, each converted, in the 31st and 62nd minutes.

The £3 admission charge included a 12-page programme. I estimated the crowd at about 250.

Edited by Hopping Mad

• 2 weeks later...

March 30 2024

I think for an RL day out, Cumbria is my favourite overall, especially when everything comes right. The problem is the distance and like other areas marches being called off.

Yesterday was Lowca, a real RL village, the club may be the only licensed premises and they are league champions. On arrival a girls match was taking place 

As for setting, a track runs between the changing rooms and pitch and 100 years up that and you are on the Coastal Path with views down to St Bees Head.

Drove across from Darlington and back as wife away so football Friday and York RL this afternoon, the one major ground I need outside of France. Viewed some churches in Teasdale on the way across and the only minor point was I was naive regarding traffic at Easter on one of the main roads into the Lakes

The game finished 42 26 after Lowca being 30 up in just over 20 mins. Keighley never gave up and got close a couple of times.

Apart from the location, the main feature is a clubhouse behind the posts with a small viewing balcony. The pitch is raised off all four sides. One of the Lake District hills is visible but the sea only if a back is climbed behind one goal.

Admission for all this was only £2. We do now have to give our game away cheap. It was £6 for a match at level 10 football in Middlesbrough the day before. Much to my pleasure because I still like them the club did a 4 page prog, possibly only their second ever having produced one against Edinburgh for the challenge cup.

Now for a criticism and an annoyance, nothing to do with the hosts, visitors etc but the RFL. This was a Barla National Cup tie which means it does not exist. No doubt if I searched I would find the earlier girls game on the match centre but not this one.

As far as I can see almost all of the teams entering play in Summer. There were close to 200 there but the RFL a would rather no one knew that publicise a BARLA tournament.

We have enough trouble as a sport getting publicity. I would love to hear from the person making this decision as to how this can be justified. 

• Like 2

High wind at elevated Overthorpe Park made life difficult for players and spectators this afternoon (6/4). Oldham St Annes held out for a 12-10 win over hosts Thornhill Trojans in Division Two of the NCL. Tries in the 15th and 30th minutes (the second converted) gave the visitors a 10-0 lead. Trojans fought back, to 10-10, by crossing in the 35th (converted) and 42nd minutes. St Annes probably had the better of a tight second half (couple of held up in goals), and in the 65th minute kicked a match-winning penalty. Awarded, in front of the posts, for a tip tackle. The home fans weren't happy about the decision but it looked clear enough to me. Third win from five (two defeats) for St Annes. Trojans now three losses and two wins from five.

Circa 250 watching, in mostly brilliant spring sunshine. Free admission (because they play in a public park, Thornhill cannot take a gate). Brought round in a bucket, a 16-page programme sold for £2. Once the bucket was empty, donations were sought. Raffle tickets a quid. Always a few skinflints content to hand over nowt!

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

My first visit this afternoon (13/4) to Bramley Buffaloes since they relocated to the West Leeds RUFC ground on Bluehill Lane, Wortley. A nice set-up, much better than The Warrels, the Bramley Phoenix RUFC ground shared previously by Buffs. Signs of ring rust, on the opening day of the Yorkshire League season, from each team, as Bramley beat Division Three rivals New Earswick All Blacks, 14-0. Tries in the 23rd, 48th and 53rd minutes. The second was converted. Highlight of a scrappy contest (the whistle-happy referee, eager to enforce various RFL clampdowns, didn't help) was Bramley's final try - a beauty. From a break inside their own half, several Bramley players, showing strong support instincts, exchanged passes, inside and outside, before their scrum-half, cover sabotaged, raced over to the left of the posts. New Earswick had plenty of ball in the home 20 but, at key moments, lacked the composure to execute a telling pass. Thankfully, a hefty pre-match shower gave way to lengthy spells of sunshine, although at elevated Bluehill Lane it was decidedly breezy.

The crowd I estimated at about 120. Admission was £3, and a 28-page programme sold for £2. The latter included an appreciation of legendary former Villagers player, Peter Lister, who died recently; the story (with photos) of club chairman Martyn Cheney's visit to Morpeth, to meet 98-year-old Eddie Mullin, the oldest surviving former Bramley player; and a report about the 50th anniversary celebration of the original Bramley club's 1973 BBC Floodlit Trophy triumph (achieved, famously, in broad daylight).

I didn't bother staying to watch the second game, a weather-delayed Yorkshire Shield tie between Bramley 'A' and Guiseley Rangers. 

Edited by Hopping Mad

5 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Is there any connection with the old pro team or are they a new entity? 

Phoenix club. Bramley folded in 1999. Fan-owned Buffaloes didn’t get started until 2004.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

April 13 2024

York Barbarians v Dewsbury Moor A

With the wife in London for the weekend, I was in charge of the 5 year old. As he likes trains a 240 mile round trip to the National Railway Museum was his treat and by coincidence there was a match at a club I had not been to a bus ride away. My wife is already challenging the word coincidence.

Barbarians play at the city’s St John’s university which has its own sport pitches. The age of the players suggested most of the team are students.

This is their second season playing in open age.

Facilities are good a 4g pitch inside a cage. Spectators can stand on one railed side or on a balcony attached to the dressing rooms including a club room/ cafe.

Attendance grew as the game when in peaking at about 60.

Comfortable home win in what is division 4 of 6 in Yorkshire,

Just five now to visit in Yorkshire, four of whom Emley Moor, Sheffield Hawks, Bentley and Harrogate moved grounds at the start of the season.

Edited by groundhopper
Improve text

Limehurst Lions 14 Leyland Warriors 40

April 20 2024

I have to admit despite having a modest knowledge of the amateur game, I had never heard of Limehurst. There is however a social media presence indicating they were around in 2013. This may be their first game at Open age

Limehurst is an area of Oldham, not far from where the semi pro team were playing last season. The other clubs in the town are primarily to the East and North where the semi pro side traditionally played. What is good is the team may have developed from the junior set up.

Home is Hollingwood Cricket club, which is not where the Rl team of the same name play. There is however no cricket team and the square is just possible to make out. There used to be a football club of the same name in Saturday football but they have moved to a 4g pitch.

The rugby side seem to be the only tenant but the clubhouse was hosting a kids party.

There are two pitches, both seem short with the first unfit but probably for juniors only. Neither even have a rope

Leyland have played in the North West league for many years but are outside the heartlands and are rebuilding by just playing friendlies

The game was therefore at the very lowest level played and combined with a large amount of penalties, was not a great spectacle but played in a good. This was Leylands third game of the season and that gave them the edge in fitness and a score line that flattered them

Hopefully both will improve as the season progresses 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Limehurst Lions 14 Leyland Warriors 40

April 20 2024

I have to admit despite having a modest knowledge of the amateur game, I had never heard of Limehurst. There is however a social media presence indicating they were around in 2013. This may be their first game at Open age

Limehurst is an area of Oldham, not far from where the semi pro team were playing last season. The other clubs in the town are primarily to the East and North where the semi pro side traditionally played. What is good is the team may have developed from the junior set up.

Home is Hollingwood Cricket club, which is not where the Rl team of the same name play. There is however no cricket team and the square is just possible to make out. There used to be a football club of the same name in Saturday football but they have moved to a 4g pitch.

The rugby side seem to be the only tenant but the clubhouse was hosting a kids party.

There are two pitches, both seem short with the first unfit but probably for juniors only. Neither even have a rope

Leyland have played in the North West league for many years but are outside the heartlands and are rebuilding by just playing friendlies

The game was therefore at the very lowest level played and combined with a large amount of penalties, was not a great spectacle but played in a good. This was Leylands third game of the season and that gave them the edge in fitness and a score line that flattered them

Hopefully both will improve as the season progresses 

If the authorities at the RFL were ever asked about their priorities I would be upset if they ommitted clubs such as these two from the top of their list.

As Chaucer famously noted ' from little acorns mighty oaks grow....'

They need to be carefully nurtured.  Border heartlands in one case , re- seeded innner city suburbs in another. A population to go for in both. And above all else  FACILITIES to be seized and prized. They don't make land anymore , and certainly not pitches on which to play.

I went down to  the NCL Div 1 game at St Pats yesterday. They entertained Stanningley from Leeds in a sunny  , open game, played in good spirit and at a level to  be expected from sides such as these. Field in excellent condition. a camered  Ref ( who I think was Touch judge  for friday's Wigan / Cas match ) and his assistants all did well. Close at half time , Pats showed greater determination and fitness in the second half before Stanningley rallied later to finish down by 38 -18.

But back to my initial point about facilities.

St Pats have two fields on site  and 4 changing rooms, which is not enough for them.  Their girls sides are exploding in numbers and they are seeking to re-launch  their teenage boys sides , essential for the future of both the professional and their own club . New facilities to incorporate female needs ( more toilets and individual showers ) and another field an obvious target. And they are not alone among the many bigger clubs facing similar issues.

Another priority  without doubt for that RFL list...............

• Like 1