Look away now, this is awful

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He's a Northern Lad MoK, now if we had LMS from your neck of the woods doin the hollerin it would be quite a different story!

Probably, Harold.

Down here Northern folk are renowned for their clean-mouthed eloquence, particularly the burghers of Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

What’s so bad about it? Slightly cheesy but hardly that bad.

I for one won’t be telling Barrie M that he’s no good at it. 😆

I wouldn`t incline to po-face about things like this if they were just a bit of fun.

Unfortunately most of those I`ve stood or sat among are deadly and furiously serious that the perfectly legal pass they just saw was "a mile forward" and that all opposition players are permanently offside.

All this doesn`t create the kind of atmosphere at grounds that could attract new or casual fans.

20 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’ve been to literally hundreds of RL games and in all that time, never felt intimidated or anything and have barely seen any trouble (although I’ve heard it has happened) And certainly somebody shouting ‘Gerrumonside ref’ is not exactly the Chelsea headhunters.

I personally think it’s odd that a newcomer would expect existing fans to have no stock sayings or reactions. And it would be a very disinterested person who was put off by it.

I agree - people want to see passion and enthusiasm, it’s a sad state of society when you have to worry about the “offended” minority.

Screw them, shout, scream, holla and enjoy yourself.

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’ve been to literally hundreds of RL games and in all that time, never felt intimidated or anything and have barely seen any trouble (although I’ve heard it has happened) And certainly somebody shouting ‘Gerrumonside ref’ is not exactly the Chelsea headhunters.

I personally think it’s odd that a newcomer would expect existing fans to have no stock sayings or reactions. And it would be a very disinterested person who was put off by it.

I agree. As a southerner who grew up watching football in London in the 80s, and who didn't attend a RL game till his late teens, I can confirm that RL crowds are still far more friendly, positive and generally safe feeling than football ones, to this day.

And when I manage to drag southern friends along to CC final or London internationals it's something they all notice. 

Sure, I've come across some idiots, and one or two unpleasant moments in RL, but it pales into insignificance compared to the hostility still bubbling in football crowds. 

To be honest, almost all of the negativity and moaning I've encountered in RL has been on here!  🤣

(And yes, guilty as charged) 

the chant of "you fat berstad"  "you fat berstad" "you fat berstad" has now been replaced by "you plus sized person maybe born out of wedlock ,but what's so unusual about that these days?"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

This isn`t about feeling intimidated. It`s whether potential fans keen to enjoy themselves, want to be around others who don`t appear to be enjoying themselves.

Those who habitually shout "Forward" and "Gerrumonside" are more likely to stop going when their team loses. Repeating the same inanities (or "stock sayings" if you prefer) doesn`t seem to inculcate an appreciation of the game so that you enjoy it win or lose.

Limited understanding means losses are automatically attributed to lack of effort or a cheating ref. Either of which are good grounds to vow in disgust that you won`t be coming back.

These are conclusions drawn only from my own observation. Not claiming it`s comprehensive. There may be geniuses out there with the sunniest of demeanours offering the insight, "that were a mile forward".

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I honestly think you’re looking too deep into it. I remember when I first started going to Odsal, I was interested to hear the cries of ‘forward’ or ‘gerrumonside’ etc .....it was rather like learning a new language really. It certainly didn’t put me off. 

Are you sure you`re typical?

21 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Those who habitually shout "Forward" and "Gerrumonside" are more likely to stop going when their team loses.

Those who habitually shout "forward" and "gerrumonside" are so emotionally bound up with their team's fortunes that they are less likely to stop going when their team loses.

This making up facts stuff is easy!

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m glad you added that final sentence.

Your point was, as you know, rubbish.

But the underlying issue is, we have to dispense with this obsessive cultural cringe that some supporters have about Rugby League. Amongst the game's strengths are the enthusiasm of its fans and their emotional link to the clubs they support. Being po-faced about the sport's working class roots or how fans display that enthusiasm isn't doing anything useful other than beating up on the sport simply for having some of the essential characteristics which make it what it is.

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Your point was, as you know, rubbish.

But the underlying issue is, we have to dispense with this obsessive cultural cringe that some supporters have about Rugby League. Amongst the game's strengths are the enthusiasm of its fans and their emotional link to the clubs they support. Being po-faced about the sport's working class roots or how fans display that enthusiasm isn't doing anything useful other than beating up on the sport simply for having some of the essential characteristics which make it what it is.

Through many years trailing to Batley, Dewsbury, Bramley, Doncaster (Tattersfield), etc, and being in crowds numbered more often in hundreds than thousands, I didn`t encounter an abundance of enthusiasm.

Archived