Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is part or all of his salary exempt from the salary cap? It’s been 10 years since he played rugby league.

Panic stations at Headingley and you’ve been banging on all winter about Salford having no squad depth 😂

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure there is some dispensation.

'Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year'. https://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

Hmmm not convinced this is a good move at all. No idea where Leeds are expecting to play him but any of the 3 options he could play I can think of better available players they could have brought in instead. The only plus I can think of right now is despite is age, he hasn't got that many miles on the clock and was a great talent in SL 10 years ago, so IF he can recapture some of that, this might have been a good move. If the opposite is true then Leeds have just given a 2 year contract to a guy who hasn't played league in years, barely played any rugby at all in the past 18 months and is currently fighting a legal dispute with his old club. Time will tell.....

53 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

'Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year'. https://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

In a salary cap sport that could make him a very smart signing. He’s obviously a risk signing having not played rugby league for so long, but with injuries to Rob Lui, Luke Gale and Jack Walker as well as 50% of his salary exempt from the salary cap that’s a risk worth taking. If he can regain his old form quickly Gale and Eastmond could be England’s World Cup half backs.

Isn't Super League supposed to demonstrate how great the sport is,and be used as the prime reason for a broadcast deal?

We really are third rate;lagging behind the NRL and ,it appears,the other code.

Not satisfied with West Wales signing a former union player,with bad press,which must be a kick in the teeth for the younger League players going through their pathways,we now have one of the sports bigger clubs signing a player who couldn't get out of the sport quick enough.

The moral of the story seems to be - play union and when either you or the sport get bored with each other go to rugby league.

I am sure it will boost attendances - and young players participation.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If he can regain his old form quickly Gale and Eastmond could be England’s World Cup half backs.

One thing I admire about you is that when you go in on a topic, you go all in.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hasn’t played a game of union since 7/3/20 and has averaged 14 games a year at club level since leaving Rugby League. 

If that is the case it is a risk signing him and hoping he can play a full season of League. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In a salary cap sport that could make him a very smart signing. He’s obviously a risk signing having not played rugby league for so long, but with injuries to Rob Lui, Luke Gale and Jack Walker as well as 50% of his salary exempt from the salary cap that’s a risk worth taking. If he can regain his old form quickly Gale and Eastmond could be England’s World Cup half backs.

I think you have more chance of getting nettled to death than seeing them two as England's WC half backs.

3 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If that is the case it is a risk signing him and hoping he can play a full season of League. 

It’s a lesser risk given Leeds will only be paying 50% of his salary in year one. Given how late it is into the off season and, I’m guessing the lack of ready talent at Leeds, I can see why they’ve done it. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hope it works out but recent 'returning converts' have been a mixed bag. Luther Burrell, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Southerner said:

“Kyle Eastmond’s contract was terminated last July after he refused to take a 25 per cent pay cut due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic”.

Tbf he wasn't alone in that position in the RU Premiership 

4 minutes ago, Southerner said:

“Kyle Eastmond’s contract was terminated last July after he refused to take a 25 per cent pay cut due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic”.

There were 5 players and to be fair 25% is a big pay cut to be asked to accept. Would you be happy to take a 25% pay cut? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/38624/leicester-to-face-contract-rebels-in-court-in-unfair-dismissal-dispute/amp/

In a manner someone else once said,  Eastmond used to be the future once.    Now, at 31 and not having made unfortunately a name for himself, he is something of a sticking plaster for Leeds.

A strange signing.  Clearly a Sean Long signing.  Leeds have money to burn, it would have been better on their Academy and scouting system for me.

One point to remember is that even after only 10 years, the game has changed a lot!  But apart from Saints fans I don't expect many will complain.

Meantime it's a shame Gale is again injured.

Archived