Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

😂 Whino's sign Eastmond 😂 - made my day this one !!!

Never managed to string more than a hand full of games together in either code.

Always flattered to deceive and thought he was better than he actually ever was, Saints quickly learned he didn't have the skills to be a half back and he ended up as a fill in at wing or centre.

Showed utter contempt for our game before he left with some pathetic, disparaging comments, and constantly droning on about how yawnion was always his ultimate goal, blah blah blah.

Only made the England yawnion team because they'd thrown big money to lure him away and felt they had to put him in the national squad. He was quickly found out and dumped after just 1 year.

Now after an entire career of underachievement he comes crawling back - at least he's stealing a wage from the Whino's pockets 🤣 They'd better pre-book him a spot in their treatment room, he'll spend more time in there than on the pitch.

It's a good job you're not bitter or anything.

As a Leeds fan, it's got the warning signs of a total waste of money to me, however I can totally understand why they have done it and I hope he proves me wrong.

7 minutes ago, The storm said:

Man of steel

You read it here first 

Then England full back in the world cup 

He was good enough to make the England team last time he played league, he’s only 31 not exactly past it. I’m not sure why so many people are writing him off so quick, I think it’s because he’s signed for Leeds, if Wakefield or Salford had signed him their fans would be waxing lyrical. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He was good enough to make the England team last time he played league, he’s only 31 not exactly past it. I’m not sure why so many people are writing him off so quick, I think it’s because he’s signed for Leeds, if Wakefield or Salford had signed him their fans would be waxing lyrical. 

If Wakefield had signed him you'd be one of the 1st on here slagging him off. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

He is only here to add depth to the squad - why all the fuss.

Leeds are not making a big song and dance about it like they have just signed the messiah.

I do not believe this is a knock to McClelland either but rather accepting that they have just taken two long term injuries to FB & Half of which Eastmond can play both.

I think it extremely unlikely he is on big money and expect McClelland to start the season higher in the pecking order.

I would be very surprised to see him anywhere near the halves... that transition would be huge.  I would expect to see him at fullback to add a bit of elusiveness and some 'out the back passing plays. This should suit his game pretty well I think.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's a risky signing and one I don't agree with, giving money to player's who have left for the dark side and bad mouthed the sport stick's in the craw with me, but if anybody can afford the risk it's the Rhino's and given their situation with possible long term injuries you can understand why.

What a pity that we have to watch the game in a salary capped era now.

it's a sad sign for the game when clubs like leeds have to sign a 30 something back from the dark side  who hasn't even been on a rugby field in ages (and was never that good anyway)  in order to make up the squad instead of them having a rich picking of young talent - development and recruitment of players needs a good looking at - in that interview he didn't even come across as confident or convincing whatsoever 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it's a sad sign for the game when clubs like leeds have to sign a 30 something back from the dark side  who hasn't even been on a rugby field in ages (and was never that good anyway)  in order to make up the squad instead of them having a rich picking of young talent - development and recruitment of players needs a good looking at - in that interview he didn't even come across as confident or convincing whatsoever 

I mean, you are talking about Leeds, a squad jam packed with the fruits of their loin and a club who provide a decent proportion of players to the rest of Super League. If they’re going down this route, I’d suggest they either have fewer pickings in the area of the pitch that Eastmond is due to play or what they do have isn’t quite ready to be thrown into Super League quite yet. 

to be signing eastmond from union  been the headline on the bbcs rl page but not even getting a mention on their ru page  just says the dark side are running riot over us and sums up where we are as a game

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In a salary cap sport that could make him a very smart signing. He’s obviously a risk signing having not played rugby league for so long, but with injuries to Rob Lui, Luke Gale and Jack Walker as well as 50% of his salary exempt from the salary cap that’s a risk worth taking. If he can regain his old form quickly Gale and Eastmond could be England’s World Cup half backs.

If he isn't good enough for England ru, what makes you think he's good enough for England rl, he hasn't exactly been ripping trees up in RU.

Leeds have injuries to Walker, Lui, McClennan and Gale so it's easy to understand why they were looking for another player with a bit of utility value.

They have acted quickly and at this stage there is not a lot of choice and Eastmond was available so fair enough.

However I don't think he will be anything like as good as the player who burst on the scene at St Helens and I don't think he will command a first team place when everyone is fit.

Of course he has the opportunity to prove me wrong and good luck to him.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a different sport and he was good enough for England RL last time he played RL.

He has some work to do for this season.  If he starts, teams will test him out from the word go.  The fitness of RL jumped up a step following last season imo and he will find it tough.  He could quite easily go down the route of Burrell.

I wish him well but can’t see him playing in the halves.  As already said, FB would suit him and then see how he goes up to mid season.

55 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be signing eastmond from union  been the headline on the bbcs rl page but not even getting a mention on their ru page  just says the dark side are running riot over us and sums up where we are as a game

Hardly surprising though considering where each respective sport is at this stage of the year. Club rugby is in the middle of it's season and a major international tournament being played - lots to talk about. League on the other hand is in the (extended) off season with not a lot going on really, other than signings and injuries. Nothing to see here IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Always flattered to deceive and thought he was better than he actually ever was, Saints quickly learned he didn't have the skills to be a half back and he ended up as a fill in at wing or centre.

Showed utter contempt for our game before he left with some pathetic, disparaging comments, and constantly droning on about how yawnion was always his ultimate goal, blah blah blah.

Only made the England yawnion team because they'd thrown big money to lure him away and felt they had to put him in the national squad. He was quickly found out and dumped after just 1 year.

Now after an entire career of underachievement he comes crawling back - at least he's stealing a wage from the Whino's pockets 🤣 They'd better pre-book him a spot in their treatment room, he'll spend more time in there than on the pitch.

I some times rewatch that try he almost scored in a certain Grand Final . If only heh ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

He has some work to do for this season.  If he starts, teams will test him out from the word go.  The fitness of RL jumped up a step following last season imo and he will find it tough.  He could quite easily go down the route of Burrell.

I wish him well but can’t see him playing in the halves.  As already said, FB would suit him and then see how he goes up to mid season.

He’s completely different to Luther Burrell who was new to the sport. Eastmond grew up playing Rugby League and has previously played in Super League and for England RL.

I was a big fan of his , I was disappointed when he left . Nine years is obviously a long time and he’s in for a lot of hard yakka but I wish him well,  it’s a good story he’s back . 

5 hours ago, M j M said:

Saints away is penultimate game of the season so maximising the chances of every St Helens fan who wants to boo him being able to attend.

I can hear the West Stand warming up already... 

“Karl Eastmond is a w.....”

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I personally believe he was one of the biggest talents we lost from our game , he has had a very good union career and he was never paid for by the RFU as far as i know

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I can hear the West Stand warming up already... 

“Karl Eastmond is a w.....”

He may not understand nasal scouse since he's been listening to recieved English. I've just viewed the try saving tackle by the great man Sir Kev 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I kind of feel sorry for Eastmond in a way. He clearly had a plan to sign for Union (with the backing of the RFU to change codes...they probably sold him on the rest of this sentence) , understand the game, and work his way up cement his name at centre for Bath and England in time for the home World Cup and certain fame and glory... then the RFU signed Burgess and kind of screwed it all up. 

You kind of think if he was after a bit more money and fame, would it have all worked out better if he took the plunge to travel to the other side of the world, rather than to the south west. Hopefully a lesson to other young players - a change of sport might be more difficult than you think, and the RFU will happily pull the rug out from under you. 

Eastmond now is 31 and will be remembered as a decent Union Premiership player but no more. Unfortunate given all that talent when he started at Saints. However I suppose he's aren't a lot more money being a standard Premiership rugby player than an outstanding Super League talent. So perhaps it is a lesson for young League prospects.

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s completely different to Luther Burrell who was new to the sport. Eastmond grew up playing Rugby League and has previously played in Super League and for England RL.

Burrell played RL as a kid and was in the Giants scholarship I think.

I can’t imagine Eastmond’s going to do anything back in RL. He’s coming back to a faster game after 10yrs in union. It’s not like he’s known for his good attitude either.

Archived