Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That is quite different than what you have said so far though. 

So whats different ?

Eastmond showed early promise, i've never disputed that, but he never went on to fulfill that promise in league through a combination of injury, ego & attitude. He want to yawnion under a big fanfare of being the next Jason Robinson, and never lived up to that billing either.

Now nobody in yawnion wants him he's come crawling back to league, hoping nobody remembers his attitude from before he left.

Maybe an apology for his attitude and his comments would go a long way to rebuilding his reputation, but I doubt we'll ever see it, and unless he does then I, and probably most other Saints fans will have little time for him. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

By 2011 no, glad to see the back of him.

When he first broke into the Saints team he showed a lot of promise but his ego quickly overtook his talent. When he initially signed a new contract at Saints he was asking for far more than other young players at the club, but Saints relented and made him a pretty good offer for someone with such limited experience & game time. By the time came for his next contract negotiation he'd obviously started to believe his own hype, no doubt buoyed by the supposed interest from yawnion.

When Saints refused to meet his demands his attitude was appalling, with a complete lack of effort in games, resulting in fans starting to give him stick. Once he had his yawnion contract in his back pocket his attitude just got worse & worse to the point where he started making comments about the game itself as well as reacting to the fans. I'm sure had they not had so many injuries throughout the 2011 season Saints would have just dropped him and left him to rot on the sidelines, but they didn't have that luxury that year.

In the end both the club and the fans were well shot of him.

I don't disapprove of any player wanting to switch to yawnion in order to make a good living. If he'd just been honest about things and said i'm going to yawnion because I can earn twice as much and then given it his all for his remaining time in league then things would have been different. I'm sure he would have left with the blessing of the fans and the club. But he didn't, he made a total d**k of himself, taking every opportunity he could to have a dig at the fans, club and the sport. 

I for one was glad he was shown up for being nothing more than average in his time in yawnion, that he was never as good as he actually thought he was. I'd be even happier if he falls flat on his face in a rhino's shirt (which i'm sure he will), and then crawls back to yawnion with his tail between his legs.

Think everything here says a lot more about you as a person than it does Kyle....

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

So whats different ?

Eastmond showed early promise, i've never disputed that, but he never went on to fulfill that promise in league through a combination of injury, ego & attitude. He want to yawnion under a big fanfare of being the next Jason Robinson, and never lived up to that billing either.

Now nobody in yawnion wants him he's come crawling back to league, hoping nobody remembers his attitude from before he left.

Maybe an apology for his attitude and his comments would go a long way to rebuilding his reputation, but I doubt we'll ever see it, and unless he does then I, and probably most other Saints fans will have little time for him. 

As I said you have changed your tune. Up until now you have been criticising him as a Rugby player and now it has changed to attitude. Criticising his attitude and how he left Saints is perfectly understandable, criticising what he has done and his skills as a RL player, as you exclusively did until you brought his attitude into it isn't, its just petty and seems like sour grapes. This was your last 2 posts on Eastmond as a Saints player, seemed like you rated him more highly back then:

On 13/09/2010 at 12:40, Saint Toppy said:

Given the choice i'd have agreed with the Saints board and sold Smith to Keep Eastmond every single time !

On 18/08/2010 at 12:29, Saint Toppy said:

I disagree, I reckon both Tomkins & Eastmond would be huge hits in the NRL. From the games i've watched this year I can't recall seeing a single half back who's stood out as being outstanding. Lockyer has done it a couple of times but far less frequently than he used to, Thurston seems to have hobbled out of every match and Marshall is a bit like Pryce, brilliant when he wants to play but oblivious in half the games.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

As I said you have changed your tune. Up until now you have been criticising him as a Rugby player and now it has changed to attitude. Criticising his attitude and how he left Saints is perfectly understandable, criticising what he has done and his skills as a RL player, as you exclusively did until you brought his attitude into it isn't, is just petty and seems like sour grapes. This was your last 2 posts on Eastmond as a Saints player, seemed like you rated him more highly back then:

"Oh no, facts and logic, not those!"

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

As I said you have changed your tune. Up until now you have been criticising him as a Rugby player and now it has changed to attitude. Criticising his attitude and how he left Saints is perfectly understandable, criticising what he has done and his skills as a RL player, as you exclusively did until you brought his attitude into it isn't, its just petty and seems like sour grapes. This was your last 2 posts on Eastmond as a Saints player, seemed like you rated him more highly back then:

'Damien the Sleuth'  I declare you shall be known from here on out! 

*frantically checking back through my owns posts so as not to be outed in the same way*  

I was surprise by the signing but nothing more. I don't know if it signifies good value as none of us have any idea what he is getting paid nor do we know how well or poorly he might perform. I do think that he will have a fair bit of work getting back into the kind of condition that regular SL will demand but assume that, as a long-standing sports professional he knows all that will be required.

Oddly enough for these forums I am prepared to judge him once he has had a few chances to perform on the pitch, not before.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

40 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oddly enough for these forums I am prepared to judge him once he has had a few chances to perform on the pitch, not before.

Come on, where is the fun in that.  It is infinitely better to argue the toss (with absolute certainty) about what is going to happen rather than reflect on what has happened.  In fact, I am pretty sure this is what the internet was invented for.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

So whats different ?

Having seen his attitude in both codes he has much to prove at a ripe age 

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Come on, where is the fun in that.  It is infinitely better to argue the toss (with absolute certainty) about what is going to happen rather than reflect on what has happened.  In fact, I am pretty sure this is what the internet was invented for.

Indeed what TRLF was invented fir! 

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Didn’t Eastmond go home at half time in a Union game. I can’t recall whether he was just bored or was annoyed at something which was said to him by the coach 

he came back for the last 5 mins and nobody had noticed he'd been gone!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I must say that Damien’s quotes above sent a shiver down my spine... I am sure we have all written things we may regret over the last 11 years... 

I am happy enough to see him back in the game, and hope he can pick up where he left off. He was a talented player and very entertaining in his youth. The one complaint I thought people raised about him was his stomach for the fight, but he will have nowhere to hide at Leeds, and could, I assume, have coined it playing Union somewhere else. 

the rhinos promo video looks impressive - full of promise- a bit like those adverts for scalextric in the 70s when you were a kid until you realise it doesn't fit together properly and it just keeps flying off track 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

*frantically checking back through my owns posts so as not to be outed in the same way*  

I'm not worried. Most of my embarrassing posts were made when I was logging in as southwalesrabbitoh.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

So whats different ?

He did very well in Union and was not far off Robinson, Eastmond went to Union far later than Robinson when the players were far more athletic and fitter. In my opinion our game had very little to offer him , low wages, low profile etc etc. Saints fans may be mad but I feel it was madness of our game to provide only small opportunities for great athletes

5 hours ago, iangidds said:

He did very well in Union and was not far off Robinson, 

Aren't his stats = average 10 games per season and 3 tries per season?

Far from Robinsonesque.

Couldn't tackle in League, couldn't score in union.

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think everything here says a lot more about you as a person than it does Kyle....

Isn't just a case of a working class lad trying to maximise his earnings for his talent? I thought that was one of the major premise that the sport of Rugby League was built on.

6 hours ago, iangidds said:

He did very well in Union and was not far off Robinson, Eastmond went to Union far later than Robinson when the players were far more athletic and fitter. In my opinion our game had very little to offer him , low wages, low profile etc etc. Saints fans may be mad but I feel it was madness of our game to provide only small opportunities for great athletes

Not far off Robinson? C’mon, man. Robinson is revered as a world class player in both codes.

Eastmond is/was a better than average club player in RL and RU but no more than that.

We dont know the terms of his contract .There maybe certain contingencies written in I.E a certain amount of appearances in a season before he gets the full amount of his salary 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived