Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There’s a lot of hatred towards Leeds and some will try and rubbish anything they do. As a 3rd or 4th choice half back who only has 50% of his salary counting on the cap I think n he’s a great addition.

In fact I’d challenge anyone to name a better 3rd or 4th choice half back in Super League.

Leeds have some great young players 

I like the idea of Kyle coming back to the game and with a bit of luck and hard work he could potentially make the England side. 

I was personally really dissapointed with the loss of him and Chris Ashton to union and I'm sure both would have had long international careers 

I do feel he is a better league player that the more regimented union game 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

And where does that actually contradict anything ?

Smith was god awful in a Saints shirt so having a preference for keeping a promising younger player in Eastmond over him is a comment I stand by.

My remaining comments on Eastmond were all around him never fulfilling that potential. Had he stayed in league he may have kicked on, but he didn't. His poor attitude saw his league career end in 2011 with him having achieved nothing and his yawnion career went the same way in the end, lots of promise at the start that fizzled out into nothing.

A classic example of someone who's over-promised and under-delivered !

“Matty he’s not on our radar Smith” was without doubt a dreadful signing by a dreadful coach.  

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He has proven himself in Rugby League, he was previously selected for England.

Yes he did prove himself and was previously selected for England but don't disillusion yourself, the way you talk he just has to put on a Rhino's shirt and he will be back to where he once was, there is nothing whatsoever that gives any pointers or indication as to how he will perform in present day RL, Eastmond has been a professional rugby player for (estimate) 14 years of which the last 70+% has been in a foreign sport, as I say I couldn't care less if he does well or proves a waste of time and money, the person at the Rhino's who made the decision to sign him has taken a chance.

I can see how it might make sense financially as a punt but personally I can’t see him making a big impression at this stage in his career.  If he does I’ll happily eat my words.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes he did prove himself and was previously selected for England but don't disillusion yourself, the way you talk he just has to put on a Rhino's shirt and he will be back to where he once was, there is nothing whatsoever that gives any pointers or indication as to how he will perform in present day RL, Eastmond has been a professional rugby player for (estimate) 14 years of which the last 70+% has been in a foreign sport, as I say I couldn't care less if he does well or proves a waste of time and money, the person at the Rhino's who made the decision to sign him has taken a chance.

A massive one if they intend to use him as a halfback; even if as a stand in.

Hopefully Gale will get fit, as he is a natural game manager. I'd think Eastmond will play a floating role more like a ball handling full back rather than trying to run the show.  If Gale is also out we'll have to rely on McLelland to run the show, which at least will force him to show if he is likely to make it.  Our other halfback options - Liam Sutcliffe and Richie Myler - have zero game management skills and are also needed elsewhere.

6 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Hopefully Gale will get fit, as he is a natural game manager. I'd think Eastmond will play a floating role more like a ball handling full back rather than trying to run the show.  If Gale is also out we'll have to rely on McLelland to run the show, which at least will force him to show if he is likely to make it.  Our other halfback options - Liam Sutcliffe and Richie Myler - have zero game management skills and are also needed elsewhere.

Hopefully we can get 3 years out of a fully fit Gale and McLelland gains game management skills as he matures ala Danny McGuire 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 05/03/2021 at 03:00, Man of Kent said:

Not far off Robinson? C’mon, man. Robinson is revered as a world class player in both codes.

Eastmond is/was a better than average club player in RL and RU but no more than that.

Different era, never got to show what he could do in League , speak to Bath supporters and look at his highlights reel to get an idea of what he did. Union has gone away from skillful small players to the likes of burgess and Tuilangi crashing it up

On 05/03/2021 at 02:19, dboy said:

Aren't his stats = average 10 games per season and 3 tries per season?

Far from Robinsonesque.

Couldn't tackle in League, couldn't score in union.

Good luck to him - left Saints under a cloud, has had a decent if unremarkable time in Union.

He's a talented lad but not sure how his running game will match up after all that time not running very much.  I predict a very average time for him back in SL.

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

Different era, never got to show what he could do in League , speak to Bath supporters and look at his highlights reel to get an idea of what he did. Union has gone away from skillful small players to the likes of burgess and Tuilangi crashing it up

Sorry but Eastmond is no more than a better than average club player. 

I'll let you in on a secret, English club rugby union is mediocre. Ratu Naulago has played for Bristol for five minutes - nine games to be precise - and the yawnion press is already talking him up as being an England player. He was good at Hull FC but he's no Jason Robinson ;-).

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Nobody knows how Eastmond will go , just too long since he's played the game 

Now that is correct ,why didnt someone say that in the first place. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 07/03/2021 at 00:32, BrisbaneRhino said:

I wish Gale well. And its sad to see a flurry of injured players.  And yes, hmm or right, good luck to Leeds. 

I can see why Saints fans are narked, but otherwise I have no particular issue with Eastmond. But it is an odd signing for Leeds, who we are regularly told have great young players. Something of a shot in the dark.

An older player may well lose something of an edge, lose some pace, but experience will cover that.  Eastmond has not had that recent RL experience.  But as an individual good luck to him.

Archived