Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I think Myler is AOK if he has somebody to take the field position kicking duties... otherwise he spots opportunities, has a great pass to make the most of those opportunities and as they say a lovely pair of hands for the short pass... his problem to me was/is only around his place kicking.  Besides which if he is moved from full back to cover it leaves Leeds exposed as they don't have another full back available.    Unless you move Sutcliffe back to full back again but he was doing really well at centre.

Kicking and game management are definitely Myler's weak areas, which is why full back is actually best suited. Sutcliffe is very frustrating, I wouldn't have him anywhere than centre. He's so blinkered - the amount of times he throws a dummy to take it in, it's so predictable for defences. For someone who showed so much promise coming through, his career seemed to stagnate when he hit 20. I think he's actually got worse over time.

I'd like to see McLelland get a run when he gets back from injury to see whether he's upto it............jury is still out, but I feel it's harsh to judge him on so few appearances, and he's still young

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There still seems to be this attitude that, if Leeds whistle, the players will come running because.................well, we're Leeds. They, and I include most of their fans, still see themselves as the premier British RL club whereas they are also rans in terms of contracts and coaching systems.

Maybe these are just some of the reasons why Leeds fail to sign the right players, who knows?

Anyway, I reckon Eastmond gave it a go and found it didn't work, relinquished his (not massive) contract and will move on to something else.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There still seems to be this attitude that, if Leeds whistle, the players will come running because.................well, we're Leeds. They, and I include most of their fans, still see themselves as the premier British RL club whereas they are also rans in terms of contracts and coaching systems.

Maybe these are just some of the reasons why Leeds fail to sign the right players, who knows?

Anyway, I reckon Eastmond gave it a go and found it didn't work, relinquished his (not massive) contract and will move on to something else.

I'm not saying your wrong but as someone else mentioned in the last page. Leeds have never needed to sign a superstar. We have always lost players to Wigan, Warrington and Saints because of our previous salary policy. But we never needed to push the boat out because of the "golden generation"

Who was the last World class singing Leeds made Ellis, Peacock? Were taking a decade ago. We haven't been challenging for great signing for years.

Now we're blowing money on anyone that's available like Lui or at the time an injured Gale.

would be interested to know how much eastmond has taken out of the coffers money wise for a couple of hours of 3rd rate rugby?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

would be interested to know how much eastmond has taken out of the coffers money wise for a couple of hours of 3rd rate rugby?

Probably around £30k assuming there is no pay-off which is how it is being framed.

Which has a salary cap value of £7.5k - and the cap spend is as/more important than the money spend.

It remains a decent gamble to have taken given how low his salary cap value was.

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

Probably around £30k assuming there is no pay-off which is how it is being framed.

Which has a salary cap value of £7.5k - and the cap spend is as/more important than the money spend.

It remains a decent gamble to have taken given how low his salary cap value was.

WHATTA WASTE O MONEY !

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It's difficult to argue against this. You only need to look at our overseas signings to see that. I think all of them bar Tetevano are off contract this year. I'd only want to re-sign Prior, and probably just for a year. We appear to have significant problems still in the side, leadership being one of those. Despite having an excellent crop of youngsters, we don't appear to transition them effectively into the first team. And our attack is also poor and lacking inventiveness, composure and any structured plan. 

Bentley would add a lot to the team and I hope he signs. Our overseas recruitment though, needs to be better and have some long term planning. We need quality over quantity 

The dynamics of the Leeds team is all wrong although they have some good young players 

I would personally offload 

Matt prior 

Rhys Martin 

Konrad hurrell

Robert lui 

Alex Mellor 

Luke Briscoe

Richie Myler 

Liam Sutcliffe 

All gone 

9 minutes ago, The storm said:

The dynamics of the Leeds team is all wrong although they have some good young players 

Matt prior 

Rhys Martin 

Konrad hurrell

Robert lui 

Alex Mellor 

Luke Briscoe

Richie Myler 

Liam Sutcliffe 

All gone 

Thank God you're not involved in building Leeds' squad then.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm not saying your wrong but as someone else mentioned in the last page. Leeds have never needed to sign a superstar. We have always lost players to Wigan, Warrington and Saints because of our previous salary policy. But we never needed to push the boat out because of the "golden generation"

Who was the last World class singing Leeds made Ellis, Peacock? Were taking a decade ago. We haven't been challenging for great signing for years.

Now we're blowing money on anyone that's available like Lui or at the time an injured Gale.

Never needed to sign a superstar? Possibly why you struggle neare the bottom than the top,then.

Your club blew money on Lui because you signed a half back you didn't like,after a handful of games - He went to Salford while Lui went in the opposite direction.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos/leeds-rhinos-sign-robert-lui-tui-lolohea-heads-salford-red-devils-479533

Your club also appointed a coach they decided they didn't like - after a short time.

Perhaps there is a pattern emerging - pointing towards recruitment - and a lack of signing superstars.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

40 minutes ago, The storm said:

Matt prior 

Rhys Martin 

Konrad hurrell

Robert lui 

Alex Mellor 

Luke Briscoe

Richie Myler 

Liam Sutcliffe 

All gone 

I see Rhys Martin is rumoured to be off to Cas I think. Whenever I’ve seen him play he’s looked awful. They’ve bought in some terrible imports in recent years. 

even paul o grady would struggle to find him a new home or anyone who wants him - total waste of time and money from the word go 

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Never needed to sign a superstar? Possibly why you struggle neare the bottom than the top,then.

Your club blew money on Lui because you signed a half back you didn't like,after a handful of games - He went to Salford while Lui went in the opposite direction.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos/leeds-rhinos-sign-robert-lui-tui-lolohea-heads-salford-red-devils-479533

Your club also appointed a coach they decided they didn't like - after a short time.

Perhaps there is a pattern emerging - pointing towards recruitment - and a lack of signing superstars.

Huh!?

Thats literally what I said.

We never needed to sign big names due to our success in the past, now we are struggling to progress while we blow big money on firefighting.

Throughout the golden era Leeds made so-called big name signings, from Lauitiiti and Peacock through Ellis and Buderus. The difference then was SL and NRL salary caps either wasn't so vast or went the other way so you got more bang for your NRL buck.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Huh!?

Thats literally what I said.

We never needed to sign big names due to our success in the past, now we are struggling to progress while we blow big money on firefighting.

That was my point on previous pages, you had your core, and previously could tinker or add one top notch player to add to that core. But when recruiting a new team from scratch,  not as successful 

We ended up having to sign Lui because we went cheap in the first place with Lolohea.  Then to get Lui to sign we had to offer him a longer deal than if we weren't up the proverbial creek. Utterly bizarre that after the disaster of 2016 and then seeing what difference a quality halfback could make in 2017, it took us until 2020 to sign a quality halfback to manage the team.  Myler has never been and never will be that kind of player.

On top of that except when getting rid of Furner and trying to quickly repair a truly awful squad, we have gone back to not being ruthless enough with players not up to scratch and signing multiple cheap players rather than focusing on quality.

Just as an example, and its a bit unfair to pick on him, but Liam Sutcliffe was given a huge chance be the starting 6 in 2016 and utterly failed. Since then he's been tried in the second row, full back and more recently centre. He's at best 'not too bad' as a centre, but if both Hurrell and Newman are fit he wouldn't start.  There's no point in having a supposed 'utility' player who's poor in every position. He was set to depart at the end of last season by mutual consent and yet he's not only stayed but got a contract extension.  

Bottom line is we lost the plot at the end of McDermott's tenure, Furner was a disaster and set us back two or more years, and I still don't feel we're entirely on the right path with recruitment. 

12 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

We ended up having to sign Lui because we went cheap in the first place with Lolohea.  Then to get Lui to sign we had to offer him a longer deal than if we weren't up the proverbial creek. Utterly bizarre that after the disaster of 2016 and then seeing what difference a quality halfback could make in 2017, it took us until 2020 to sign a quality halfback to manage the team.  Myler has never been and never will be that kind of player.

On top of that except when getting rid of Furner and trying to quickly repair a truly awful squad, we have gone back to not being ruthless enough with players not up to scratch and signing multiple cheap players rather than focusing on quality.

Just as an example, and its a bit unfair to pick on him, but Liam Sutcliffe was given a huge chance be the starting 6 in 2016 and utterly failed. Since then he's been tried in the second row, full back and more recently centre. He's at best 'not too bad' as a centre, but if both Hurrell and Newman are fit he wouldn't start.  There's no point in having a supposed 'utility' player who's poor in every position. He was set to depart at the end of last season by mutual consent and yet he's not only stayed but got a contract extension.  

Bottom line is we lost the plot at the end of McDermott's tenure, Furner was a disaster and set us back two or more years, and I still don't feel we're entirely on the right path with recruitment. 

FWIW I don't think Lolohea was cheap. 

Agreed on Sutcliffe, he was also on a wedge. I don't know the level of his extension but I seriously hope it was more in line with his ability

21 hours ago, The storm said:

Matt prior 

Rhys Martin 

Konrad hurrell

Robert lui 

Alex Mellor 

Luke Briscoe

Richie Myler 

Liam Sutcliffe 

All gone 

Leeds definitely need a clear out and I agree with most, except probably Alex Mellor. 

Lui, Hurrell, Sutcliffe, Martin and L Briscoe all just need to go. I'd add to that Vuniyayawa as well. 

On the raggedy edge of needing to go but still offer something to the team short term i'd say - Myler, Prior, Thompson, Tetevano, T Briscoe and Donaldson. 

That's 12 players that i'd like to see shut of by the end of next season. To replace them i'd like 8 first team quality players - 2 props, 2 back rowers, loose forward, winger, centre and a halfback. Thanks Kev! 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Leeds definitely need a clear out and I agree with most, except probably Alex Mellor. 

Lui, Hurrell, Sutcliffe, Martin and L Briscoe all just need to go. I'd add to that Vuniyayawa as well. 

On the raggedy edge of needing to go but still offer something to the team short term i'd say - Myler, Prior, Thompson, Tetevano, T Briscoe and Donaldson. 

That's 12 players that i'd like to see shut of by the end of next season. To replace them i'd like 8 first team quality players - 2 props, 2 back rowers, loose forward, winger, centre and a halfback. Thanks Kev! 

You think Tetevano and Prior are on the edge of needing to go?

Based on what? (Tetevano especially)

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And where are Leeds going to find those players ?

They wont get absolute top class from the NRL unless they've been 'bad boys' like Barba or Hastings.

Likewise they can't just sign who they like from other SL clubs. To prize them away they'll have to pay top money to convince them to move to a team who's not at the top. This then limits the number of good quality signings they can make in a salary capped game.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

FWIW I don't think Lolohea was cheap. 

Agreed on Sutcliffe, he was also on a wedge. I don't know the level of his extension but I seriously hope it was more in line with his ability

WArrington were linked to lolohea at the time and it was getting mentioned that he wanted marquee money. or top dollar

31 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

You think Tetevano and Prior are on the edge of needing to go?

Based on what? (Tetevano especially)

I think age and desire to keep playing over here will see Prior retire at the end of this season - I didn't include him based on performance. Tetevano - I'll admit I never wanted Leeds to sign him in the first place and then the limited time I've seen him so far I don't think he'll end up justifying the no doubt hefty sum he's getting. He'll definitely do a job until his contract is up end of next season, but isn't somebody i'll be hoping Leeds keep hold of beyond that. 

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

And where are Leeds going to find those players ?

They wont get absolute top class from the NRL unless they've been 'bad boys' like Barba or Hastings.

Likewise they can't just sign who they like from other SL clubs. To prize them away they'll have to pay top money to convince them to move to a team who's not at the top. This then limits the number of good quality signings they can make in a salary capped game.

Nobody gets absolute top class from the NRL - even Saints. I'd like to see us chance our arm with some of the younger players in the NRL though, who might be looking to take a chance in SL - certainly in the backs positions. As for the rest, don't kid yourself that, even as poor as Leeds are at the moment, they aren't still a huge draw for most British based players. Especially if they can start to see signs of a proper rebuild taking place. 

Archived