Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

on what page did the "kyle eastmond "thread become the "how did leeds become so rubbish" thread? just asking as i cant be bothered scrolling back over 12 pages

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should anyone tell you if you can't be bothered to read the thread?  Why bother posting that you can't be bothered to read the thread? Threads drift all the time. If people are interested in the drift they'll respond, if not they'll either drag it back on topic or the thread dies.

As a Leeds fan I'm interested in where we're at, where we're going and how we've ended up in this place where mid-table is about the best we can hope for.  If you're not feel free to read other threads or - shock - maybe even start your own and see if anyone is interested enough to respond?

Back on the drifted topic....I think some people are being waaay too forgiving of Leeds' management over the past five or more years.  I understand it will take time to fix, but if you start from a position of trying to pretend the transition from the Golden Generation hasn't been spectacularly bad or just make excuses, then you're going to be destined to make the same mistakes.

I remember Leeds fans taking the mick out of how bad Sts were a few years back. Yet by contrast they have ultimately managed the transition from the Long-Cunningham era really well, with appointing Cunningham as coach being the only really bad misstep. Wigan have suffered dips over the years but bounced back relatively quickly each time. 

Only Leeds have tumbled so far and so fast and for so long.  If you don't think that's worthy of criticism sobeit. I do. And what worries me is that some lessons seem not to have been learned - like signing average SL players, re-signing failures, keeping players well past their best around and looking for magic bean style cheap options like Vuniyayawa. 

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So you don't know ?

I'm trying assess what angle you're coming at this from. Either you've read and understand what I've written and are now on some odd escapade to get me to name 8 players when i've explained why that is fruitless, or you genuinely believe I have some kind of influence on who Leeds are going to recruit and want the intel? Option C is you're trying to be a troll - I don't think it is that one though, so i'll let you decide which of the former you want to go with. 

11 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Why should anyone tell you if you can't be bothered to read the thread?  Why bother posting that you can't be bothered to read the thread? Threads drift all the time. If people are interested in the drift they'll respond, if not they'll either drag it back on topic or the thread dies.

As a Leeds fan I'm interested in where we're at, where we're going and how we've ended up in this place where mid-table is about the best we can hope for.  If you're not feel free to read other threads or - shock - maybe even start your own and see if anyone is interested enough to respond?

Back on the drifted topic....I think some people are being waaay too forgiving of Leeds' management over the past five or more years.  I understand it will take time to fix, but if you start from a position of trying to pretend the transition from the Golden Generation hasn't been spectacularly bad or just make excuses, then you're going to be destined to make the same mistakes.

I remember Leeds fans taking the mick out of how bad Sts were a few years back. Yet by contrast they have ultimately managed the transition from the Long-Cunningham era really well, with appointing Cunningham as coach being the only really bad misstep. Wigan have suffered dips over the years but bounced back relatively quickly each time. 

Only Leeds have tumbled so far and so fast and for so long.  If you don't think that's worthy of criticism sobeit. I do. And what worries me is that some lessons seem not to have been learned - like signing average SL players, re-signing failures, keeping players well past their best around and looking for magic bean style cheap options like Vuniyayawa. 

Like I said I don't disagree out of hand, but think that it needs to be in perspective and based on facts.

Based purely on silverware, Saints managed the transition worse. They won nothing in the six years between the Cup 2008 and the Super League in 2014. In the Five years since the retirements started, Leeds have won both the League and the Cup.

Now you can say "oh yeah but Saints didn't flirt with the bottom of the table in those years like Leeds have" or "they always challenged though". But if you're not willing to accept that also came at the expense of not actually winning anything then its just shifting goalposts. Nobody is going to look back and say "oooh didn't Saints manage the transition from Sculthorpe and Cunningham well by maintaining top 3 finishes in 4 of the 5 seasons between 2009 and 2013". Whereas Leeds fans can look at 2016 or 2019 with horror, we can also remember the sweet GF victory in 2017 and the Lockdown Challenge Cup win in 2020 - you get trophies for those!

That's all before you get to the likes of Warrington, Huddersfield and Catalans who have made very high profile signings, envied by many, and yet still only won as much or less than Leeds since 2018. 

I say that with a highly critical approach to the Rhinos management. Across various discussions on this board I've criticised how the greatest period of success for the club over the past decade actually resulted in decreasing average crowds. I've criticised the "retreat from the city" in the club's marketing and practices. I've criticised the recent kit deal with Oxen. I lived through the utter mediocrity at times associated with the McDermott era. I think the general admission offering from the club has been stagnant at best for a decade. 

I 110% think there are issues at the club. I just think we need to put them in perspective.

8 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm trying assess what angle you're coming at this from. Either you've read and understand what I've written and are now on some odd escapade to get me to name 8 players when i've explained why that is fruitless, or you genuinely believe I have some kind of influence on who Leeds are going to recruit and want the intel? Option C is you're trying to be a troll - I don't think it is that one though, so i'll let you decide which of the former you want to go with. 

So basically you are stating the blindingly obvious , every fan of every club would like another 8 players better than 8 that they currently have , but just like you they don't know who or actually where those players will come from , no different to anybody else , it's called sport 

56 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So basically you are stating the blindingly obvious , every fan of every club would like another 8 players better than 8 that they currently have , but just like you they don't know who or actually where those players will come from , no different to anybody else , it's called sport 

Interesting to see you went for option C in the end. Good game - let's play again soon never. 

Archived