Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s completely different to Luther Burrell who was new to the sport. Eastmond grew up playing Rugby League and has previously played in Super League and for England RL.

He wasn’t new to the sport.  Burrell played in the Huddersfield youth for a few years.

4 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

If Wakefield had signed him you'd be one of the 1st on here slagging him off. 

And if Salford had signed him, he would be saying how our strength in depth had just gone even worse.

7 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

And if Salford had signed him, he would be saying how our strength in depth had just gone even worse.

I'm surprised you can even move with that massive chip on your shoulder

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be signing eastmond from union  been the headline on the bbcs rl page but not even getting a mention on their ru page  just says the dark side are running riot over us and sums up where we are as a game

It says more about the BBC than where we are as a game. 

7 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

😂 Whino's sign Eastmond 😂 - made my day this one !!!

Never managed to string more than a hand full of games together in either code.

Always flattered to deceive and thought he was better than he actually ever was, Saints quickly learned he didn't have the skills to be a half back and he ended up as a fill in at wing or centre.

Showed utter contempt for our game before he left with some pathetic, disparaging comments, and constantly droning on about how yawnion was always his ultimate goal, blah blah blah.

Only made the England yawnion team because they'd thrown big money to lure him away and felt they had to put him in the national squad. He was quickly found out and dumped after just 1 year.

Now after an entire career of underachievement he comes crawling back - at least he's stealing a wage from the Whino's pockets 🤣 They'd better pre-book him a spot in their treatment room, he'll spend more time in there than on the pitch.

Eastmond started off really well at Saints when he became a regular in the first team, despite being a bit injury prone.
But when the rumours started that rugger club’s were showing an interest in him he then showed very little interest in playing RL. It just looked as if he didn’t want to know, he didn’t want the ball and tackling was something he was reluctant to do. Then the Saints fan’s started to get on his back for his zero effort, which obviously got to him. So he’ll be a gamble for Leeds. 
I’d imagine when he joined the ruggers they wouldn’t have understand a word he said. Now he’s back in League he’ll probably have an accent as posh as “Jacob Rees Rah Rah Rah Mogg”, and now Leaguies won’t be able to understand a word. 

I remember being utterly peed off at the way he left as well - he took the mick once he knew he was going to RU and was utterly disrespectful to the game that made him marketable and to the fans of the team that had backed him.

I would also be surprised if he's any good coming back after so long. He's been signed to play halfback, but he'll get targeted in defence there. On the other hand fullbacks do more running than anyone else and get hit hard when running the ball back. I think he'll really struggle in either position.

Having said all of that, given Leeds' injury situation we had to sign someone. We're down to one full back in Myler, who would have been an option to cover 6/7.  Ditto Liam Sutcliffe, who will have to stay in the centres until Newman is fit, which could be half a season or more. We have at least one halfback out for 8-12 weeks, doubts over Gale, and McLelland has yet to show he's going to make it. On top of that its the sort of signing which helps create a buzz for the game. 

So overall I have no idea if its a good move, but time will tell.

7 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

However I don't think he will be anything like as good as the player who burst on the scene at St Helens 

After a decade (Basically his entire 20s) playing another sport?  I suspect you are right!

Would have been a good signing if he had joined about 4 seasons ago. Was really influencing top level union games, and physically was in great shape (far bigger and stronger than his RL days).

Now? Not so much.

In my opinion Leeds were the only club of either code prepared to pay him a wage he thinks his worth. If a union club had offered him more he would in my opinion stayed in union, which is his choice, but him saying the right was right to comeback to TGG is total hogwash as far as I'm concerned

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I remember being utterly peed off at the way he left as well - he took the mick once he knew he was going to RU and was utterly disrespectful to the game that made him marketable and to the fans of the team that had backed him.

I would also be surprised if he's any good coming back after so long. He's been signed to play halfback, but he'll get targeted in defence there. On the other hand fullbacks do more running than anyone else and get hit hard when running the ball back. I think he'll really struggle in either position.

Having said all of that, given Leeds' injury situation we had to sign someone. We're down to one full back in Myler, who would have been an option to cover 6/7.  Ditto Liam Sutcliffe, who will have to stay in the centres until Newman is fit, which could be half a season or more. We have at least one halfback out for 8-12 weeks, doubts over Gale, and McLelland has yet to show he's going to make it. On top of that its the sort of signing which helps create a buzz for the game. 

So overall I have no idea if its a good move, but time will tell.

Has this been confirmed by Leeds because I haven't seen anything saying this but I may have missed it?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He was good enough to make the England team last time he played league, he’s only 31 not exactly past it. I’m not sure why so many people are writing him off so quick, I think it’s because he’s signed for Leeds, if Wakefield or Salford had signed him their fans would be waxing lyrical. 

You mean he got picked for 1 friendly and 3 4N games in 2009 (starting on the bench in 2 of the 3) but was a total flop and got dropped from the England squad for the 7 games they played in 2010 and the mid-season friendly in 2011 (before switching to yawnion at the end of 2011).

You keep dreaming you've signed some sort of superstar when the reality is you've signed a crocked failure in 2 codes !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

17 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s completely different to Luther Burrell who was new to the sport. Eastmond grew up playing Rugby League and has previously played in Super League and for England RL.

We are talking about the same Luther Burrell aren't we, the one who played all his junior rugby in league not yawnion, who was part of Huddersfield's Academy until switiching to yawnion in his late teens ?

15 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He played 2 seasons of Rugby League before switching to Union at under 15’s, that’s hardly comparable to Eastmond.

Granted it ain’t much but your comment was that he hadn’t played RL which was obviously false.  my point was that Eastmond could go the same way as Burrell, back to RU.  We have to remember that Burrell was an England regular pick.

Still stands that I wish him well.

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You mean he got picked for 1 friendly and 3 4N games in 2009 (starting on the bench in 2 of the 3) but was a total flop and got dropped from the England squad for the 7 games they played in 2010 and the mid-season friendly in 2011 (before switching to yawnion at the end of 2011).

You keep dreaming you've signed some sort of superstar when the reality is you've signed a crocked failure in 2 codes !

But a crocked failure who I am sure you would have wanted Saints to hold on to at the time.

44 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

A failure... who played top grade and for his country in 2 different sports and who has just signed for the biggest RL club in the Northern Hemisphere......

You must be some sportsman if you think that career is a failure- take it you played for your country in at least 3 sports then.........

17 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

and? how many times have the rules changed in SL over the last ten years? he'll be as much a novice in a tackle now as burrell was.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

A failure... who played top grade and for his country in 2 different sports and who has just signed for the biggest RL club in the Northern Hemisphere......

You must be some sportsman if you think that career is a failure- take it you played for your country in at least 3 sports then.........

Good luck to Kyle 

I remember that electric burst of pace and all that potential. 

He probably made a lot of money in union but he had never really rubber stamped his name as a top class performer in either code, although a decent career it has been. 

What chance for eastmond in the England team for this years world cup 

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

But a crocked failure who I am sure you would have wanted Saints to hold on to at the time.

In fairness most Saints fans were glad to see the back of him by the end of it, with his fitness, performance and attitude problems. He was certainly a talent though.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

By 2011 no, glad to see the back of him.

When he first broke into the Saints team he showed a lot of promise but his ego quickly overtook his talent. When he initially signed a new contract at Saints he was asking for far more than other young players at the club, but Saints relented and made him a pretty good offer for someone with such limited experience & game time. By the time came for his next contract negotiation he'd obviously started to believe his own hype, no doubt buoyed by the supposed interest from yawnion.

When Saints refused to meet his demands his attitude was appalling, with a complete lack of effort in games, resulting in fans starting to give him stick. Once he had his yawnion contract in his back pocket his attitude just got worse & worse to the point where he started making comments about the game itself as well as reacting to the fans. I'm sure had they not had so many injuries throughout the 2011 season Saints would have just dropped him and left him to rot on the sidelines, but they didn't have that luxury that year.

In the end both the club and the fans were well shot of him.

I don't disapprove of any player wanting to switch to yawnion in order to make a good living. If he'd just been honest about things and said i'm going to yawnion because I can earn twice as much and then given it his all for his remaining time in league then things would have been different. I'm sure he would have left with the blessing of the fans and the club. But he didn't, he made a total d**k of himself, taking every opportunity he could to have a dig at the fans, club and the sport. 

I for one was glad he was shown up for being nothing more than average in his time in yawnion, that he was never as good as he actually thought he was. I'd be even happier if he falls flat on his face in a rhino's shirt (which i'm sure he will), and then crawls back to yawnion with his tail between his legs.

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

By 2011 no, glad to see the back of him.

When he first broke into the Saints team he showed a lot of promise but his ego quickly overtook his talent. When he initially signed a new contract at Saints he was asking for far more than other young players at the club, but Saints relented and made him a pretty good offer for someone with such limited experience & game time. By the time came for his next contract negotiation he'd obviously started to believe his own hype, no doubt buoyed by the supposed interest from yawnion.

When Saints refused to meet his demands his attitude was appalling, with a complete lack of effort in games, resulting in fans starting to give him stick. Once he had his yawnion contract in his back pocket his attitude just got worse & worse to the point where he started making comments about the game itself as well as reacting to the fans. I'm sure had they not had so many injuries throughout the 2011 season Saints would have just dropped him and left him to rot on the sidelines, but they didn't have that luxury that year.

In the end both the club and the fans were well shot of him.

I don't disapprove of any player wanting to switch to yawnion in order to make a good living. If he'd just been honest about things and said i'm going to yawnion because I can earn twice as much and then given it his all for his remaining time in league then things would have been different. I'm sure he would have left with the blessing of the fans and the club. But he didn't, he made a total d**k of himself, taking every opportunity he could to have a dig at the fans, club and the sport. 

I for one was glad he was shown up for being nothing more than average in his time in yawnion, that he was never as good as he actually thought he was. I'd be even happier if he falls flat on his face in a rhino's shirt (which i'm sure he will), and then crawls back to yawnion with his tail between his legs.

That is quite different than what you have said so far though. That said it certainly explains the real reasons behind those comments.

Archived