41 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Has Alice Springs & Darwin moved to Queensland ??

The Cowboys draw support from all over the northern part of the state though with supporters driving hundreds of miles to attend games

No. Just like Christchurch, nelson and greymouth aren’t in the north island.

A South Island team is a great idea. Based in Christchurch, they can play the majority of games out of the new stadium opening in 2025. As a nice little bonus they can reclaim RL Park for use as a training base (maybe even a leagues club on site too). Play a game or two each year in Dunedin, one in Invercargill, outside chance Nelson, plus pre-season camps out on the West Coast. Done properly it would draw people in from across the whole island. People don't realise how much latent support there is for rugby league in New Zealand - there's a small hardcore who are intimately involved in the game, and then a much wider group who like RL but have minimal outlets to express that interest.

Not in the least bit surprised to see Andrew Chalmers calling a friendly journalist and getting himself in the papers with some silly claims, but that's all it is. There's no way on earth the NRL would allow that charlatan to be involved, nor would any serious investor take him seriously.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

A South Island team is a great idea. Based in Christchurch, they can play the majority of games out of the new stadium opening in 2025. As a nice little bonus they can reclaim RL Park for use as a training base (maybe even a leagues club on site too). Play a game or two each year in Dunedin, one in Invercargill, outside chance Nelson, plus pre-season camps out on the West Coast. Done properly it would draw people in from across the whole island. People don't realise how much latent support there is for rugby league in New Zealand - there's a small hardcore who are intimately involved in the game, and then a much wider group who like RL but have minimal outlets to express that interest.

Not in the least bit surprised to see Andrew Chalmers calling a friendly journalist and getting himself in the papers with some silly claims, but that's all it is. There's no way on earth the NRL would allow that charlatan to be involved, nor would any serious investor take him seriously.

Might be wrong but I think the Christchurch/Canterbury region has more RL activity than the Wellington region?

For me I’d also base NZ2 in Christchurch and I’d go with the name “Christchurch bulls” playing out of rugby league park in the Canterbury regions colours of black&red. They can take the really big drawing games to the new stadium.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Might be wrong but I think the Christchurch/Canterbury region has more RL activity than the Wellington region?

For me I’d also base NZ2 in Christchurch and I’d go with the name “Christchurch bulls” playing out of rugby league park in the Canterbury regions colours of black&red. They can take the really big drawing games to the new stadium.

RL Park is hosting a temporary stadium until the new one opens in 2025, then it will be dismantled. That's why it would be great to see RL regain the land and use it as a training base. But the only place in the city to play home fixtures is the new 25,000 seat stadium being built.

Also, calling the team Christchurch defeats the purpose of having a team that can draw upon the resources of the entire South Island.

4 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

RL Park is hosting a temporary stadium until the new one opens in 2025, then it will be dismantled. That's why it would be great to see RL regain the land and use it as a training base. But the only place in the city to play home fixtures is the new 25,000 seat stadium being built.

The new 25k stadium being built is quite a reduction in capacity compared to the old stadium which was nearly 39k capacity.

Something to do with the earthquake and reduced funding perhaps?

4 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Also, calling the team Christchurch defeats the purpose of having a team that can draw upon the resources of the entire South Island.

My impression is that the West Coast have long since abandoned any hope of competing in any grade at national level under their own steam. They actively want to join with other provinces. Good example is the Pacific Series gala held in Christchurch. They have hardly any players of Pasifika heritage, but they still send teams across, because they`re keen to be involved and make connections.

And in all other South Island provinces there`s little in the way of historical RL parochialism to hamper a collective effort.

Colours could be an issue. By trying to cover all the bases, the South Island under-20s team in this year`s National Championship seem to have the whole rainbow on their jersey.

On 17/05/2021 at 12:07, unapologetic pedant said:

Orcas is the name of the Wellington provincial rep team. As such there`s not much chance of buy-in on the South Island.

The South Island team in the under-20s National Championship went well on and off the field this year. Inevitably Canterbury-dominated, but with a healthy sprinkling of impressive players from Otago, Southland, and West Coast. Whether this S.I. identity among players could ever be replicated widely enough to build a fanbase for a S.I. NRL franchise is a moot point.

For numerous reasons, I believe Perth is the better option for the 18th franchise.

There seems little enthusiasm by V'Landys to expand into Perth or Adelaide, AFL territory, hence the second Brisbane team and NZ2. Whilst I love the name and the logo Chalmers has been pushing this idea for quite a few years and I don't think the NRL, which is V'Landys nowadays and all the better for it, take note RFL! are as gullible to his 'charms' and will want someone else running the thing.

On 18/05/2021 at 00:57, Farmduck said:

In their entire history, the Broncos have never taken a game away from Brisbane

Broncos took their match against the Warriors to Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast in 2001.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

On 18/05/2021 at 14:48, Cumbrian Mackem said:

You're right, whilst at a Senior level, the two regions are pretty comparable. (Both Wellington and Christchurch have 18 Senior Men's teams in 2021 and 6 Women's) there is a decent difference at the Juniors.

So far Wellington has had 55 junior teams take the field this year, with more set to take part in upcoming Maori & Pacifika tournaments, whilst Christchurch has had 95 junior teams take the field so far, with future events planned as well.

That said Wellington definitely seems to finally seeing some growth again which is encouraging.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

18 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Broncos took their match against the Warriors to Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast in 2001.

That's correct but they didn't do it as part of the NRL plan to take games to country venues. They did it because there was some construction at their home ground for the Goodwill Games.

23 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

My impression is that the West Coast have long since abandoned any hope of competing in any grade at national level under their own steam. They actively want to join with other provinces.

Greymouth was a coal mining town for decades; the last mine closed a few years ago and tourism is the main industry now.  The days when a remote, sparsely populated part of NZ could be a force in RL are long gone. Very little RL in Otago/Southland (and not that big a population in any case), so Canterbury is South Island RL for most purposes. 

The difficulty any NZ2 team will have is that plenty of Kiwis have followed Aussie RL since the 1980s, and already have a team they support - not necessarily the Warriors. 

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Greymouth was a coal mining town for decades; the last mine closed a few years ago and tourism is the main industry now.  The days when a remote, sparsely populated part of NZ could be a force in RL are long gone. Very little RL in Otago/Southland (and not that big a population in any case), so Canterbury is South Island RL for most purposes. 

The difficulty any NZ2 team will have is that plenty of Kiwis have followed Aussie RL since the 1980s, and already have a team they support - not necessarily the Warriors. 

Historically speaking, the argument that the existing enthusiasts will not support a new club because they already have clubs they support does not stand up. RL or any other sport for that matter.

15 hours ago, Clogiron said:

There seems little enthusiasm by V'Landys to expand into Perth or Adelaide, AFL territory, hence the second Brisbane team and NZ2.

You are right, “rusted on AFL states” he has quoted them in the past, whilst ignoring the success of Melbourne Storm.

I see many positives for a franchise in Perth (there would certainly be more public and private financial support than for NZ2) it is my opinion that the primary asset that NZ2 has that Perth does not is thousands upon thousands of readily Rugby skilled 12-18 year olds that can help to improve the NRL playing pool at the top level in 10 years time.

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are right, “rusted on AFL states” he has quoted them in the past, whilst ignoring the success of Melbourne Storm.

I see many positives for a franchise in Perth (there would certainly be more public and private financial support than for NZ2) it is my opinion that the primary asset that NZ2 has that Perth does not is thousands upon thousands of readily Rugby skilled 12-18 year olds that can help to improve the NRL playing pool at the top level in 10 years time.

If anything the bidding process for the 18th franchise will be very exciting with potentially NZ2, Perth, Brisbane3 and perhaps even Adelaide all battling it out.

1 hour ago, Yakstorm said:

That said Wellington definitely seems to finally seeing some growth again which is encouraging.

When NZ clubs or whole regions are struggling at senior level, they always revive when they concentrate their focus on juniors. Taking advantage of the fact that mini and mod League is more rewarding to play than any form of junior RU.

36 minutes ago, JonM said:

I mentioned in a previous post the composition of the South Island under-20s.

In a 26 player squad it was 18 Canterbury, 5 Otago, 2 West Coast, 1 Southland. The proportion from outside Canterbury is nothing special, but it still demonstrates the interest is there when opportunities and pathways are provided.

Southland RL have gained some traction by running summer competitions, including for juniors, male and female. 

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Historically speaking, the argument that the existing enthusiasts will not support a new club because they already have clubs they support does not stand up. RL or any other sport for that matter.

Yes, true in the Aus/NZ/North America context, possibly not so much in Europe.

13 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In a 26 player squad it was 18 Canterbury, 5 Otago, 2 West Coast, 1 Southland. The proportion from outside Canterbury is nothing special, but it still demonstrates the interest is there when opportunities and pathways are provided.

Southland RL have gained some traction by running summer competitions, including for juniors, male and female. 

Agree with this. Also, from memory at least one of the players listed as Canterbury (Sincere Harraway) was a Coaster who had moved over to play a higher level of regular rugby.

10 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Agree with this. Also, from memory at least one of the players listed as Canterbury (Sincere Harraway) was a Coaster who had moved over to play a higher level of regular rugby.

When Canterbury had a good open-age provincial championship in 2019 another Coaster, half-back Brad Campbell, was prominent. Last seen (at least by me) playing reserve-grade for West Brisbane Panthers.

On 17/05/2021 at 12:04, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Not for me it isn’t. Either base yourself in Wellington or Christchurch and represent that city or nothing at all.

Sometimes teams can represent a wider area.

Cumbrian Mackem.

People called Romans they go the house

On 19/05/2021 at 12:58, paulwalker71 said:

I'm staggered that Andrew Chalmers would have the brass neck to show his face again in Rugby League 🤬

What was ever done about him, or anyone, to do with the demise of the Bulls in any form? Nothing, because the RFL wants us all the forget.

On 19/05/2021 at 22:23, unapologetic pedant said:

I have little doubt those compositions will change as the new National U16s and U18s competitions get rolled out and talented kids outside of Canterbury see there is a pathway for them.

The positive about New Zealand as an expansion target is, not only do you have the League participation pool to draw from, but you also have a Rugby Union participation pool that is very familiar with the sport and generally has a positive opinion of League.

Archived