• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don`t know how they are going to say no to two of these clubs. It seems that at least two are compelling, watch out for one in 2023 and another 2027.

Expansion clubs have been asked to show NRL the colour of their money (theaustralian.com.au)

"Redcliffe would appear best placed to meet the financial demands of expansion given their assets are north of $100 million and their business already turns over more than $30 million each year. They are a financial juggernaut.

"The Firehawks, backed by Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club in Brisbane, have more than $80 million in assets and $30 million sitting in the bank. They are spending $9 million on their home at Langlands Park to turn it into a high-performance centre.

"The Firehawks continued their assault on expansion on Monday when they had a mural with their emblem placed outside the SCG. The mural is expected to do the rounds in coming weeks as the club looks to ensure it remains in the public consciousness.

"The Jet`s financial muscle is less opaque, although they have insisted from day one that the money is there to back their bid from day one in 2023."

29 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I honestly don`t know how they are going to say no to two of these clubs. It seems that at least two are compelling, watch out for one in 2023 and another 2027.

Expansion clubs have been asked to show NRL the colour of their money (theaustralian.com.au)

"Redcliffe would appear best placed to meet the financial demands of expansion given their assets are north of $100 million and their business already turns over more than $30 million each year. They are a financial juggernaut.

"The Firehawks, backed by Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club in Brisbane, have more than $80 million in assets and $30 million sitting in the bank. They are spending $9 million on their home at Langlands Park to turn it into a high-performance centre.

"The Firehawks continued their assault on expansion on Monday when they had a mural with their emblem placed outside the SCG. The mural is expected to do the rounds in coming weeks as the club looks to ensure it remains in the public consciousness.

"The Jet`s financial muscle is less opaque, although they have insisted from day one that the money is there to back their bid from day one in 2023."

When you look at the Firehawks and Dolphins it would be hard to deny either. You could use each as a sure thing to offset the growing pains of Perth and NZ2.

Make it a 20 team competition with straight home and away fixtures, stand-alone Origin/International weeks and maybe a bye each thrown in there. 

Sounds like heaven.

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Link doesn’t work unfortunately.

I don’t know why, it works on my end.

The fans may ditch the Dolphins name and come up with something else?

There is no Brisbane Bay, it would be the Moreton Bay Dolphins if they went down that unlikely path.

There is no Brisbane Peninsula it’s the Redcliffe Peninsula.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

59 minutes ago, Allora said:

I don’t know why, it works on my end.

The fans may ditch the Dolphins name and come up with something else?

There is no Brisbane Bay, it would be the Moreton Bay Dolphins if they went down that unlikely path.

There is no Brisbane Peninsula it’s the Redcliffe Peninsula.

WTF!!! Not calling them the “dolphins” this bid gets worse and worse.

Read somewhere that the bid will in fact use the name “dolphins” after they successfully blocked the Gold Coast franchise using this name.

maybe they’ll be called the Brisbane suburbs dolphins?

personally I’d much prefer them to be known as the moreton bay dolphins eventually playing fulltime out of their own upgraded stadium.

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

WTF!!! Not calling them the “dolphins” this bid gets worse and worse.

Read somewhere that the bid will in fact use the name “dolphins” after they successfully blocked the Gold Coast franchise using this name.

maybe they’ll be called the Brisbane suburbs dolphins?

personally I’d much prefer them to be known as the moreton bay dolphins eventually playing fulltime out of their own upgraded stadium.

Surely the NRL want a second Brisbane team to be actually based in Brisbane rather than a small coastal town 25 miles away.

On 18/05/2021 at 17:08, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Shame really because the location of the tigers is an advantage over the dolphins even though the dolphins are probably more financially secure and asset rich.

Playing out of broncos backyard is not an advantage

On 31/05/2021 at 21:09, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Seems a little bit absurd that Brisbane2 might not incorporate Brisbane into their official name.

brisbane dolphins?

north Brisbane dolphins?

brisbane bay dolphins?

brisbane peninsula dolphins?

West coast eagles & Fremantle dockers..

The Dolphins will always be the Dolphins.

They'll only seek fan input on the geographical name. Maybe North Brisbane or Moreton Bay.

What they are trying to avoid is people minimalising the bid by calling them "Redcliffe". Which people have been using as a pejorative.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Just imagine a club with the resources, development platform and community backing of the Dolphins in the UK... they’d be a top 4 side in SL. Nuts to think the NRL might reject them, or even if they accept them make them play out of Suncorp Stadium as Broncos II rather than be the long-standing, storied, locally-embedded club they are with their own amazing 10k+ facility in Redcliffe 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

When I first started following Australian RL over 3 decades ago something that I instantly noted was the stress on the byname over the geographic name. More so than generally in the UK.

This style of branding has intensified as many of the Sydney clubs have become more detached from their in situ beginnings, with diaspora fanbases.

Nonetheless, getting a start will be tricky for the Dolphins if they win the franchise. Their success will depend on their being quickly embraced as a South Queensland team who are not the Broncos. Association with a too specific area will militate against that.

At the moment the QRL are remaining publicly neutral. Presumably, once a decision is made, they will put their weight behind the winner, whatever name is chosen.

Does it matter where they’re from if they’re going to play at Suncorp? Personally I’d have thought a different ground either North of South of the city would be preferable, even if it only holds 15,000. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Does it matter where they’re from if they’re going to play at Suncorp? Personally I’d have thought a different ground either North of South of the city would be preferable, even if it only holds 15,000. 

I think part of the deal is to play out of suncorp In order to maximize it’s use in terms of revenue. 

Mathematically impossible to fit 25,000-30,000 people into a 10k stadium. Plus if the new franchise are going to have to pay a license fee in order to become the 17th NRL team they’ll need all the money they can get.

4 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

The Dolphins will always be the Dolphins.

They'll only seek fan input on the geographical name. Maybe North Brisbane or Moreton Bay.

What they are trying to avoid is people minimalising the bid by calling them "Redcliffe". Which people have been using as a pejorative.

The question is do people from Redcliffe and the greater moreton bay region consider themselves to be part of Brisbane and would they be willing to travel 26 miles to every “home” game?

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Just imagine a club with the resources, development platform and community backing of the Dolphins in the UK... they’d be a top 4 side in SL. Nuts to think the NRL might reject them, or even if they accept them make them play out of Suncorp Stadium as Broncos II rather than be the long-standing, storied, locally-embedded club they are with their own amazing 10k+ facility in Redcliffe 

The NRL want Brisbane2 to be a broncos mk2 and not a Brisbane version of manly.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

There’s probably more people in south east Queensland that hate the broncos than support them so it’s not as bad as you’d imagine. Plus they are currently garbage.

You need point of difference & geography is best. North & South are large regions & huge growth areas

42 minutes ago, Pippen94 said:

You need point of difference & geography is best. North & South are large regions & huge growth areas

Sure. Geography or history.

The dolphins give you “north” and the jets give you “south.”

The firehawks teaming up with the tigers gives you “east”.

Archived