Match Thread: Championship Round 7, Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-23rd-May-2021

Bit late with this, sorry.

Every game is a 'must-win' for us if we want to finish top/near to the top of the table.

I'm never comfortable aganist the Eagles, they are always awkward and diffcult opponents.

Hopefully the travelling lunatics will spur us on to victory.

In terms of the squad, we learned last week that Blackmore, as well as Harrison and Fergie are longer term.

So, that could mean Ferres, Halton and WElham are not far away from ready.

Junior Moors' injury didn't look too clever, but I didn't see any other knocks over the 80 against Oldham.

We go again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SHEFFIELD EAGLES V FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

Sunday 23rd May
Keepmoat Stadium | KO : 16:30

Referee A. Moore
Touch Judge 1 L. Bland
Touch Judge 2 M. Mannifield
Reserve Referee S. Jenkinson
Time Keeper D. Mitchell

Webbo said that of the players who missed the Oldham game only Frankie Halton, who he sounded optimistic about, is expected back for this week's game.

Probably a very similar team with Halton, presumably for Field. It won't do us any harm to have minimal changes as we have shifted quite a few players about position-wise.

Sheffield have been a bit up and down this year but need taking very seriously on their best performances, such as when crushing Bradford and also beating York away. It's the same scenario as previously for us though, if we can keep mistakes to manageable levels we should be good enough to win again.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Webbo said that of the players who missed the Oldham game only Frankie Halton, who he sounded optimistic about, is expected back for this week's game.

Probably a very similar team with Halton, presumably for Field. It won't do us any harm to have minimal changes as we have shifted quite a few players about position-wise.

Sheffield have been a bit up and down this year but need taking very seriously on their best performances, such as when crushing Bradford and also beating York away. It's the same scenario as previously for us though, if we can keep mistakes to manageable levels we should be good enough to win again.

Webbo mentioned Moors' hamstring?

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

21 man squad list due out later today.......

Nothing yet from Fev's social media but our 21-man squad is on the RFL match centre. Can't see any surprises, Halton and Moors both in, Loui McConnell is in, the guys expected to be out are still out.

The Sheffield squad is more interesting as they don't appear to have named Anthony Thackeray and that would clearly be a big loss for them.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match_preview/133496

41 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Nothing yet from Fev's social media but our 21-man squad is on the RFL match centre. Can't see any surprises, Halton and Moors both in, Loui McConnell is in, the guys expected to be out are still out.

The Sheffield squad is more interesting as they don't appear to have named Anthony Thackeray and that would clearly be a big loss for them.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match_preview/133496

looking at that seems like  it's all the usual suspects  with  any two from coops JD and callum F for places on the bench

26 minutes ago, haskey said:

Looks like Webbo is keeping his team under raps. I wonder why ???

Probably more that the social media guy(s) haven't had time to publish it yet given it's there for all to see on the RFL website, in fact that might be the first time this season we've actually published a 21-man squad there, usally it's been 19 or 20 initially.

Think this looks the easiest 17 to predict asuming Moors and Halton are fit. Spence, McConnell, Doyle and probably Field or maybe Coops to drop out.

Just for the record (and not because I think we're going to do it!)  - we would need to beat Sheffield 55-0 to go top of the table on percentage points difference this afternoon. Because of the way the system works, if they score, say, 6 points we would need to score 85, and if they score 12 points we would need to score 115 to go top.

The system will seem less convoluted as the season proceeds and all teams' points conceded tally starts to rise, but the points conceded tally is going to continue to be more important than the points scored one. At the end of the season 1,000 points scored and 250 conceded will not be as good a record as 810 scored and 200 conceded under this year's rules, which have been made necessary by the fact that not all teams are guaranteed to play the same number of games.

As an aside, I watched the Toulouse game yesterday, and although Swinton's defence is very flimsy, I have to say that's the best Toulouse team I've seen, they look on a par with Toronto in 2019 and we'll need to be very good to beat them.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As an aside, I watched the Toulouse game yesterday, and although Swinton's defence is very flimsy, I have to say that's the best Toulouse team I've seen, they look on a par with Toronto in 2019 and we'll need to be very good to beat them.

I'll make a more informed judgement on that when we've played them.

Those who know me know I can be a pain in the ar se glass half empty sort.

I am rarely this optimistic but I do believe fev and Toulouse will be the best two teams I'm the championship. It is likely that fev will play Toulouse x 3 (incl.play offs) this season. I doubt either team will win all three of those fixtures..... BUT, I do think we'll go up. I genuinely do.

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'll make a more informed judgement on that when we've played them.

Those who know me know I can be a pain in the ar se glass half empty sort.

I am rarely this optimistic but I do believe fev and Toulouse will be the best two teams I'm the championship. It is likely that fev will play Toulouse x 3 (incl.play offs) this season. I doubt either team will win all three of those fixtures..... BUT, I do think we'll go up. I genuinely do.

One thing about playing Toulouse is they play the right way.If we have a full strength line up  i think we will beat them at least once out of our two League games.As for today i don't expect a big win but one by 14 to 16 points.With a bit of luck the rain may have stopped by K.O. time.

33 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

One thing about playing Toulouse is they play the right way.If we have a full strength line up  i think we will beat them at least once out of our two League games.As for today i don't expect a big win but one by 14 to 16 points.With a bit of luck the rain may have stopped by K.O. time.

I doubt the away game in Toulouse will now be played. So that means we will have the home game and potentially two play off games

Archived