Sun 23 May: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win for Skolars. They rolled up their sleeves and got stuck in.

Coventry brought down to earth. Every time the Bears got in front they forgot to do the basics. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Well I got the 62 right. Not a great performance but I'll take the 2 points.

We go to Workington next week more in hope than expectation.

I don't think we've played anyone of quality yet. The Cumbrian teams seem to be the ones to beat.

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Good win for Skolars. They rolled up their sleeves and got stuck in.

Coventry brought down to earth. Every time the Bears got in front they forgot to do the basics. 

Really pleased with that win particularly as Bears were ahead a couple of times and that normally floors us. Plus the injuries. 

25 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

I don't think we've played anyone of quality yet. The Cumbrian teams seem to be the ones to beat.

Rob we always go to Cumbria with hope. I expect nothing but a Town win, its always the way of Dons in Cumbria.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

6 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Looking forward to getting back down to Derwent Park, we’ll give you a warm welcome.  To be fair I wasn’t sure how we’d go this year, Chris Thorman hasn’t gone out and spent big money on travellers like we have done in the past, just brought in some cracking amateurs, got some old faces returning and a couple of hungary youngsters in Brad Holroyd and Jake Lightowler. What is really clear on the early games is that we are very well coached and the boys have bought into it. Hope some Donny fans get the chance to travel up. 

13 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Rob we always go to Cumbria with hope. I expect nothing but a Town win, its always the way of Dons in Cumbria.

Mate. 30 odd years of experience have taught me to value every Cumbrian win as like gold dust. The trip back after a win is incredible. I always used to book the Monday off work just in case!

4 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Mate. 30 odd years of experience have taught me to value every Cumbrian win as like gold dust. The trip back after a win is incredible. I always used to book the Monday off work just in case!

Yep, away wins in Cumbria are always worth celebrating.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

24 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Looking forward to getting back down to Derwent Park, we’ll give you a warm welcome.  To be fair I wasn’t sure how we’d go this year, Chris Thorman hasn’t gone out and spent big money on travellers like we have done in the past, just brought in some cracking amateurs, got some old faces returning and a couple of hungary youngsters in Brad Holroyd and Jake Lightowler. What is really clear on the early games is that we are very well coached and the boys have bought into it. Hope some Donny fans get the chance to travel up. 

Been impressed with how Thorman has gone about his business. To be fair Horne has largely gone with retaining most of what was good about our existing squad and bolstered it with promising young forwards. I'm pretty happy with where we are.

We play a pretty open entertaining game. Our centres are key to this. Smeaton and Tali create a lot of space with the tacklers they attract.

3 hours ago, BringbackGB said:

Any other season ticket holder experiencing problems streaming live League 1 match?

Yes, season ticket code doesn't work.

It was fine last week, but in the voucher code box all I get is the code has already been used. I raised this with the club and Our League two days ago and was told you only have to redeem the code once, the game should be available when you log in to Our League, but not today. In the end, I just paid the £10 to watch the game.

I'm going to contact Our League again, they are quick to reply but I don't think they understand the problem. Perhaps more people contacting them would help. Their email address is: ourleague@streamamg.com

Never mind, at least I've seen one game with my season ticket, which is one more than last season.

Edit: I have just logged on to my email and have received a refund of £10 from Our League!

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Really pleased with that win particularly as Bears were ahead a couple of times and that normally floors us. Plus the injuries. 

Good win. I didn't expect it. It's why we love this game though eh?

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

After today, I predict Cru finishing in 4th, 5th or 6th place this year..... Worky seem to be looking favourites for top spot...

A play off place is realistic. Who's top six place are you taking though (it's Donny isn't it?) ?

I hope not. I'm still trying to figure out how good/bad we are. I wouldn't want to come up against our pack. Douglas, Peltier and Mudoti were all impressive today. In the backs it was business as usual. All pretty solid. Matty Beharell is an outstanding half. Ben Johnston was great from the bench. Great 40 minutes.

48 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

wow. That's some prediction, they haven't met Keighley, Rochdale, Donny or Barrow yet. 

Don’t worry, us Town fans aren’t getting carried away it’s very early days. But I have to say we are playing a brand of rugby that is different to most teams and is working so far. Thorman’s philosophy is that the days of a big heavy pack are gone with no scrums and the 6 agains etc and he has recruited for mobility over muscle. At times we have 3 hookers on the park in Dec O’Donnell, Marcus O’Brien and Matty Henson and that allows us to play quite an open uptempo game. Henson in particular has been a revelation in his first pro season, 5 tries in 3 games coming off the bench. It’ll be interesting to see how Thorman’s ideas play out against the better teams in this league.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

8 tries to 3 at home's an appalling result, whatever way you look at it - what happened?

Workington the better team and played well Steve but we gifted them a couple of tries and some poor defending shipped in a couple more. No complaints about the winner’s though.

19 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Don’t worry, us Town fans aren’t getting carried away it’s very early days. But I have to say we are playing a brand of rugby that is different to most teams and is working so far. Thorman’s philosophy is that the days of a big heavy pack are gone with no scrums and the 6 agains etc and he has recruited for mobility over muscle. At times we have 3 hookers on the park in Dec O’Donnell, Marcus O’Brien and Matty Henson and that allows us to play quite an open uptempo game. Henson in particular has been a revelation in his first pro season, 5 tries in 3 games coming off the bench. It’ll be interesting to see how Thorman’s ideas play out against the better teams in this league.

I'd say Horne is looking to do similar things. Hes definitely gone for a slightly different style of rugby to whats been played by the Dons in recent years, although, having Ross Peltier coming off the bench to steam into centre field is a cracking option to have. We seem to enjoy playing with our back row forwards out wide, and our big guys in the centre, and our hooker, Ross Whitmore has played 160 minutes in the last fortnight, which, with Beharrell and Boas floating around, and Ben Johnston in the interchanges, gives us lots of playmaking options.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

9 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

I don't think there's a whole lot of quality in that league to be fair. You'll probably find that most weeks you won't have to be that great, and can still get a result.

Workington are already talking like they are going up, but I suspect they'll take some right hammerings in the Championship if they do. 

Fingers crossed you take something off them anyway. Good win today.

Archived