Sun 24 May: SL: Leigh Centurions v Huddersfield Giants KO 15:00

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/21 at 14:30

If I am reading the message correctly that was issued by the club I will try to explain why the increase in admission prices has been adopted by the board, the reasoning being is that those who purchased ST would lose out having all ready missed games and the cost to now watch each game already paid for would have increased by 'X' amount. So for the remaining games the standard price for admission either sitting or standing for those who would buy match tickets has been increased to the same value the season tickets holders have effectively paid to watch each game over the season.

Personally, I am a season ticket holder but I think this is a bad move by the club, I wouldn't mind if it was the 'normal' price, I think many fans who would have attended at the original match cost will not do so, in my opinion after a long period of 'getting out of the habit' I think fans should have been enticed back with incentives, I am not bothered that I will have paid more than 'walk ups' I would sooner see more people attending than empty spaces.

And as for refusing access to OurLeague, I can't understand that it just seems pretty to me. On a personal point I would have loved to watch the next game v Hull FC but considering they will fill their allocated numbers with ST holders there will be nothing available for away fans to attend, so I would not hold it against the Hull club if they refuse the the OL exposure for this game only v. Leigh.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely having games on OurLeague was compensation for all clubs season ticket holders to at least watch their games instead of attending them and i'm sure Leigh still have some who aren't ready or can't attend games just yet so yes it is petty and probably at the expense of their own fans too.

I agree you'd think the club would want to welcome fans back after so long away rather than trying to fleece them but this is Derek Beaumont we're talking about - loves his club but clearly doesn't care for the supporters of it much!.

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Surely having game on OurLeague was compensation for all clubs season ticket holders to at least watch their games instead of attending them and i'm sure Leigh still have some who aren't ready or can't attend games just yet so yes it is petty and probably at the expense of their own fans too.

I agree you'd think the club would want to welcome fans back after so long away rather than trying to fleece them but this is Derek Beaumont we're talking about - loves his club but clearly doesn't care for the supporters of it much!.

I wouldn't go that far in the criticism of Mr Beaumont, if anything he has been very generous to the club for a good while, but I do believe these decisions taken are wrong, as I say if other clubs treat the Leigh games with a OL blackout and only because of this move, then effectively Leigh's ST holds are being penalised.

I meant in the context that they have been without their club for so long and many will have suffered through the pandemic in more ways than 1 and his initial thought process is to fleece as much money as he can out of them rather than welcoming them back, it's clearly backfired as no-one seems to be buying any of his extortionately priced tickets.

I know top figures at our club are incensed by his decision and will no doubt reciprocate this, as you say it's the fans who miss out, suggesting Mr B doesn't think fans of his club have suffered enough in the past 14 months !!

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

I meant in the context that they have been without their club for so long and many will have suffered through the pandemic in more ways than 1 and his initial thought process is to fleece as much money as he can out of them rather than welcoming them back, it's clearly backfired as no-one seems to be buying any of his extortionately priced tickets.

I know top figures at our club are incensed by his decision and will no doubt reciprocate this, as you say it's the fans who miss out, suggesting Mr B doesn't think fans of his club have suffered enough in the past 14 months !!

Totally wrong in your assumption. Derek is far more concerned with protecting the value of the ones who bought the ST's, he is willing to burn £30k per game to do so. Fixtures have been far kinder to OTHER clubs eg Leigh have 3 reduced attendance home games, Wigan have one - OL has far more pull benefits for Wigan as a result.

I hope Huddersfield do reciprocate this as that means I will save a fair bit on a game we wont win later in the season, instead of loyalty pulling at my wallet.

Where we have luvved up is that we only really started telling fans on Wednesday evening they could buy tickets now - the great news is that every Hudds ST holder who wants to go will have the option to do so - I wonder whether that choice will be available to our fans at the away games?

Do I agree with the clubs actions - NO, do I understand the logic - YES, It is not Leighs job to make commercial decisions for other clubs - the ones who voted to reduce funding to the 12th club and agreed fixtures that saw our biggest games behind closed or restricted gates

Love or loathe Derek he has £4/500k waiting for players to become available and has not taken any government loans - I also read Wigan were on their ar$e$ as others are due to income

SHOCK!!!

As Rugby League club sells live product on the pitch for actual money and allows both home & away fans to attend.

Maybe Leigh should take a leaf out of the RFL’s book and give the product away like they did with Papa John’s because that’ll help won’t it.

I thought this thread had a lot of replies for a Leigh v Hudds game - now I know why.

Anyways onto the game -

Giants starting to benefit from the 'processes' Ian Watson is putting in place.

However, as a Giants supporter of many years I'm loathe to get too far ahead of being cautiously optimistic.

Defence wins matches and if we can get that right for 80 mins I think we have the firepower to put some points on the board.

That's all my optimism gone for today at least.

Onwards and upwards!

Absolutely agree, it will be interesting to see if the players mindset has changed, in the past we've fallen short in these types of games where we turn up thinking we've already got the match won.

Leigh have looked competitive and i'm sure they will want to show their fans that the can compete, we need to treat this and every game like St Helens and put the same effort in if we are to start climbing higher.

We've an unchanged squad so hopefully confidence is high from the last 2 wins, here's hoping - can't wait to be in a stadium again.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Absolutely agree, it will be interesting to see if the players mindset has changed, in the past we've fallen short in these types of games where we turn up thinking we've already got the match won.

Leigh have looked competitive and i'm sure they will want to show their fans that the can compete, we need to treat this and every game like St Helens and put the same effort in if we are to start climbing higher.

We've an unchanged squad so hopefully confidence is high from the last 2 wins, here's hoping - can't wait to be in a stadium again.

That's the crux of it.

We need to treat any game in SL the same whether Leigh or Saints or whoever.

Leigh by the fact that they have earned the right to be in SL need our respect.

I guess this is part if what Ian Watson means by consistency.

No matter who we play the same processes need to be in place.

On another note we need to ban the word 'hopefully'.

I've heard it too many times over the years re the Giants.

'Hopefully we will win' needs to be replaced by 'We are going to win.'

It's a mindset hurdle that I struggle to get over as a Giants fan!

39 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Dunno about earned it but they are in there.....

They are there and as an opposition player they need to be respected whether they have earned it or not.

It's one of those games for Fartown, where, on paper, we should win but I hope our players don't take it for granted, yes, Leigh have lost all their games, but they've been pretty competitive from what I've seen, Saints and Wigan didn't have it all their own way and neither did we in the cup game.

We've gone to Leigh before and been on the end of some points against us so we have to be cautious.

And whilst I certainly don't condone Leigh ripping fans (Giants mainly) off It will still be good to get back into a ground again and see our boys!

Leighs backline is almost at full strength at last - but the grunt is mainly in ward 7. Flower, Mason, Gerard out mean we will have Sidlow returning to partner Ioane at prop and thats it, rest are back row. Huddersfield will hurt us through the middle. Hudds by 18

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leighs backline is almost at full strength at last - but the grunt is mainly in ward 7. Flower, Mason, Gerard out mean we will have Sidlow returning to partner Ioane at prop and thats it, rest are back row. Huddersfield will hurt us through the middle. Hudds by 18

Is this the official "injury hit and depleted" team for when they play Huddersfield post 😛

7 hours ago, meast said:

Is this the official "injury hit and depleted" team for when they play Huddersfield post 😛

Our injury crisis started the day we got the ' nod ' , it is what happens every time we get in SL 

20 hours ago, meast said:

No Leigh have been hit by an injury epidemic from the outset, I have said it before Meast it is only the "Big Clubs" who get effected by having injuries,  just listen to the commentaries on TV of how these big clubs are diminished by so 'n so being unavailable, when Leigh got relegated in '17 the injuries over the season meant 37 player's actually took to the field but that was never mentioned, as it was only Leigh.

9 hours ago, clogdance said:

I doubt it's 'ridiculously high' just the most expensive in Super League. At least away fans will see their team win, we won't see any this season. 😛

Even their website has match tickets priced at £25, Derek has obviously decided that people should pay a fiver more on the basis of......they will/ they're desperate to see live rugby/ No one will notice/  he's trying to fleece fans upon their return/ add your own

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Our injury crisis started the day we got the ' nod ' , it is what happens every time we get in SL 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No Leigh have been hit by an injury epidemic from the outset, I have said it before Meast it is only the "Big Clubs" who get effected by having injuries,  just listen to the commentaries on TV of how these big clubs are diminished by so 'n so being unavailable, when Leigh got relegated in '17 the injuries over the season meant 37 player's actually took to the field but that was never mentioned, as it was only Leigh.

It was a tongue in cheek comment based around the fact that every club seem to have injuries, players missing when they play Huddersfield, the big clubs are especially renowned for it, they can use it as en excuse for when they lose or they use it as a moral victory if they win.

It's quite ridiculous really, considering most clubs have a squad of around 30 players and a lot of the players who are missing are just squad players anyway, but I guess it gives them some satisfaction of knowing it wasn't their first XIII that lost to a club who apparently bring nothing to the game 🙂

Archived