Women's Challenge Cup - Both games live on BBC Red Button/Website

Not sure I've seen this confirmed before but both games are on the BBC Red Button (and BBC Sport website) on Saturday.

1220 - York v Castleford

1450 - St Helens v Leeds

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ckn pinned this topic

Readers with a Telegraph sub (not me - although it looks like it may not be paywalled) may want to read this article on Ashleigh Hyde of York City Knights. Gave birth seven weeks ago and is playing tomorrow.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2021/05/21/meet-ashleigh-hyde-mum-gave-birth-seven-weeks-ago-already/

I make no comment about whether that means every other woman is just overegging how hard giving birth really is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Readers with a Telegraph sub (not me - although it looks like it may not be paywalled) may want to read this article on Ashleigh Hyde of York City Knights. Gave birth seven weeks ago and is playing tomorrow.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2021/05/21/meet-ashleigh-hyde-mum-gave-birth-seven-weeks-ago-already/

I make no comment about whether that means every other woman is just overegging how hard giving birth really is.

I can only assume any mother you know does not have access to this site 😜

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I can only assume any mother you know does not have access to this site 😜

I think we long ago established that the sole demographic of this site is moaning old men.

51 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thank you, a good read and a great young lady

20 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Thank you, a good read and a great young lady

Sounds like she comes from a superb family and I love the idea of keeping playing long enough so her son can watch her.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Good that they’ve published this article, although otherwise the DT completely ignore RL unless there is a racism, homophobia or domestic violence incident to report on. 

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure I've seen this confirmed before but both games are on the BBC Red Button (and BBC Sport website) on Saturday.

1220 - York v Castleford

1450 - St Helens v Leeds

Is there a reason why BBC Red Button listings are published at such short notice?

It`s as though they expect people to find out by rapid osmosis.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

She mentions fear of injury.

On women`s section threads, I`ve put out the question whether female RL players are biologically more prone to injury. In the past few weeks I`ve seen a raft of players from Aussie elite comps pictured in their hospital beds following season-ending mishaps. One of whom was Jamie-Lee Lewis, daughter of Wally, who broke a leg playing for Valleys. I think she broke an arm a couple of years ago in a rep fixture.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Good that they’ve published this article, although otherwise the DT completely ignore RL unless there is a racism, homophobia or domestic violence incident to report on. 

Or crowd trouble. The only times I can remember seeing RL on the back page of the Daily Mail was after hooliganism involving one or both of Humberside`s two tribes.

When any anti-RL rag covers a damaging RL story the word "League" is persistently highlighted. They want readers to know this has nothing to do with RU. When they feature a positive RL story, the word "Rugby" is prominent.(as in the DT one posted on this thread). Then, they`re quite happy to blur the distinction between League and Union.

One fine day, RL fans might spot this simple manoeuvre and realise they play into the hands of RL`s enemies when they refer to RL as "Rugby". 

17 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

She mentions fear of injury.

On women`s section threads, I`ve put out the question whether female RL players are biologically more prone to injury. In the past few weeks I`ve seen a raft of players from Aussie elite comps pictured in their hospital beds following season-ending mishaps. One of whom was Jamie-Lee Lewis, daughter of Wally, who broke a leg playing for Valleys. I think she broke an arm a couple of years ago in a rep fixture.

I didn't reply straight away as I wanted to check if my vague understanding was correct.

Broadly, and it is broad, in part because women's participation at 'elite' levels is relatively new and with lower numbers, men are injured at a higher rate than women but women sustain certain injuries more. The most known example are ACL injuries and, from memory, a few years ago there was a spate of these in women's football. It seems to have calmed down a fair bit now.

With regards to fractures, male players sustain these more than female players. Concussions affect women more than men. And so on ...

There are caveats to this which, again broadly, is that when/if certain injuries seem to spike (men and women) you see physios, coaches and players make adjustments to tactics and techniques - sometimes even the rules. Nobody wants a team full of injured people after all, unless it's American football which treats its players like so much meat. 

York up 14:2 after 25 minutes. Some good play mixed in with a few errors from both sides.

York's ground looks lovely.

One hell of a try from Savannah Andrade!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Try right on half time to put York out of sight (possibly).

York players react like they've won the Cup, Cas's like they've just accidentally run over a favourite pet.

Hat-trick for Andrade.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Hat-trick for Andrade.

She looks very good today.  Never seen her play before.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Really enjoy watching Rhiannon Marshall. Proper old school loose forward.

Her goalkicking is so laid back.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Good York defence bundles Owen into touch by the corner flag. Still, a more positive passage of play from Castleford.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another gormless commentator who doesn`t know the difference between a knock-on and a lost ball.

After a tackled player was ruled to have lost control at the ruck, along with mis-labelling it a knock-on he said, "teams are looking for quick PTBs, but the onus is on the players to play the ball correctly." The level of denial about illegal PTBs is almost psychotic. If psychosis is defined as a detachment from reality.

Archived