Women's Challenge Cup - Both games live on BBC Red Button/Website

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per my usual pet hate.

I have turned on the game a little late and due to players in squad numbers I have absolutely no idea which position the players are playing.

Personally, players numbered 1 to 13 would add real value to watching this game for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Excellent. I turn the game on late, to find a whole page of moaning about the officials, the skill levels not being as good as they used to be, and so on. That's how you know Women's RL has properly arrived.

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As per my usual pet hate.

I have turned on the game a little late and due to players in squad numbers I have absolutely no idea which position the players are playing.

Personally, players numbered 1 to 13 would add real value to watching this game for me.

But now you know all of their names....

And... your fault for tuning in late 😜😜

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Excellent. I turn the game on late, to find a whole page of moaning about the officials, the skill levels not being as good as they used to be, and so on. That's how you know Women's RL has properly arrived.

There's been a lot to enjoy in this game. Some top defence from both teams, for example.

Someone calling the ref a "****ing joke" was also nice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's been a lot to enjoy in this game. Some top defence from both teams, for example.

Someone calling the ref a "****ing joke" was also nice.

I’m surprised a sin bin didn’t follow for that to be honest 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I’m surprised a sin bin didn’t follow for that to be honest 

I can only assume that he genuinely didn't hear it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Cas being very weird now.

Kicking when 32-2 down and then doing a cheeky chip over the top from the restart.

Saints` creative players, Cunningham, Jones, Gaskin, in good form, particularly Jodie.

The high and forceful smack on the shnoz Fran Goldthorpe copped would have been 10 minutes in the NRL.

Leeds had a habit in 2019 of pulling victory from the jaws. Hopefully not this time. Another all-Yorkshire final would be bad for humanity.

14 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Think I read somewhere that Sharon Shortle was at school with Ed Milliband.

She could be really good but TV is different from radio. 

On radio you say something like ‘Winfield-Hill kicks a cross-field bomb to the left-hand side of the posts’, on TV it’s something like ‘Winfield-Hill with the bomb’. 

We can see the kick, it doesn’t need description IYSWIM.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Execution is a bit off but this is already a noticeably higher quality game than York-Cas

Definitely a better game.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Rudge doing a lot of work in attack and defence.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Good game, St Helens looked very impressive deposing the current Challenge Cup holders.

Looking at the TV schedules, you could have watched nothing but RL from 5:30am to 7pm today. I admit I've taken a couple of breaks.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

St Helens v York in the final - I'll go for Saints to win it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Think I read somewhere that Sharon Shortle was at school with Ed Milliband.

My MP. Good podcast. Very good for his constituents in my opinion. I've probably done enough to be cancelled there...

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Looking at the TV schedules, you could have watched nothing but RL from 5:30am to 7pm today. I admit I've taken a couple of breaks.

This morning I was watching some of Day 3 of the Australian women`s National Championships from Dolphin Park. The gap in standards between here and there is a chasm. I would reckon the 4 CC semi-finalists would struggle to live with either of the two NSW under-19s teams or the two QLD under-19s teams.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are caveats to this which, again broadly, is that when/if certain injuries seem to spike (men and women) you see physios, coaches and players make adjustments to tactics and techniques - sometimes even the rules. Nobody wants a team full of injured people after all, unless it's American football which treats its players like so much meat. 

The back-to-one after the charge down of a kick rule that strongly discourages defenders from playing at the ball, so that they instead aim at the kicker, is a hobby-horse of mine. 

There are legitimate views either way about it`s wider sense. But purely in the context of injury risk, it`s astonishing that "physios, coaches and players" don`t at least canvass opinion on the benefits to player welfare of changing it.

On 21/05/2021 at 06:50, Man of Kent said:

Worthy of a pinned thread, shirley.

Who are you calling Shirley?

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I can only assume that he genuinely didn't hear it.

Or maybe he agreed with her?

Archived