Folau joins Southport Tigers

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, langpark said:

If this thing does reach the courts, there is a big chance Folau wins, if his fallout with ARU is any sort of precedent.

Clive certainly has deep pockets too, so if he is deterrmined to go all the way with this, then this could well be the beginning of a very long saga.

Exactly the point I originally made. It could be a very long and drawn out saga that could be very divisive and very hard for League to come out of it looking anything but degraded.. 

If Palmer calls himself a true Rugby League man, let Folau try to register with another sport and drag their name through the mud. But that is not his style, the worst and ugliest type of rank, populist opportunist. A truly loathsome character.

P.S. he is talking about signing Tony Williams into the same team now.

The man has broken no law. 

If the NRL believes its values of inclusivity are at stake, then the NRL should have the conviction in their own fan base to defend the values of the sport and turn their back on any bid by their club to sign him. Much similar to the way the Dragons fans did earlier in the year.

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Aye, but you said Championship is equivalent to QLD cup - I was simply pointing out that is nonsense, and there are SuperLeague teams who wouldn't win the QLD cup.

Toulouse are thrashing everyone in the Championship by 60 or 70 points. It is miles below the level of SuperLeague. 

Wrong.

50 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

You like to give it out, but you certainly can't take it!

I couldn't care less about rugby union.

I can see your snidey attempts at point-scoring, given that you have lost the argument (again) but you don't know me, and you have no idea of my sporting interests, and how much SuperLeague I follow (it's more than you btw!). It is up there with your 'melrose sevens' comment the other week:

Snidey, weasely, and quite pompous. (I'm sure there's a national stereotype in there somewhere!) 👍🏾

But you haven’t presented an argument,you’ve merely derailed  a thread to satisfy your own agenda.

27 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The man has broken no law. 

Aside from being registered with one club and now trying to play with a different one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

66-0 last week. 

70-0 the week before.

Swinton to come this week. 

Complete mismatches.

Brisbane Broncos last few results ??

Maybe they should sign Folau.

Well, this headline has taken me by surprise, and I feel I need to set the record straight.

Let me confirm that, despite reports to the contrary, Mr Folau is not joining me. Furthermore, given the differences in our beliefs, I do not anticipate this situation changing.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes but this isn`t just any fictitious place though is it, even if he said gays, alcoholics, thieves, etc. etc.  had to sit in the naughty corner, this would still be a form of incitement or discrimination wouldn`t it, but it`s not the naughty corner, it is place where he believes they will be tortured for eternity, not exactly the same as saying I disagree with your lifestyle. And what`s more as a role model or certainly a public figure, he is inciting others to hate as well.

If he wants to spout that stuff as a private individual that `s his business, but I don`t want him or his proxies using League to gain some sort of credibility by associating themselves with our game as some sort of acceptance.

Do you believe in torture for all eternity?

If I accused you of etetnal damnation you would laugh at me.  How would I incite you? If I were to throw a brick through your window then I would be threatening you.  Incitement is when  Palestinian  supporters drive through London shouting with flags "kill the jews".

52 minutes ago, Southport Tiger said:

Well, this headline has taken me by surprise, and I feel I need to set the record straight.

Let me confirm that, despite reports to the contrary, Mr Folau is not joining me. Furthermore, given the differences in our beliefs, I do not anticipate this situation changing.

Hmmmm. Any truth in the he rumour that you are a billionaire?

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

If Palmer calls himself a true Rugby League man, let Folau try to register with another sport and drag their name through the mud. But that is not his style, the worst and ugliest type of rank, populist opportunist. A truly loathsome character.

P.S. he is talking about signing Tony Williams into the same team now.

Fair point, but I personally disagree.

I have always said in the past and I will say it again. NRL is NOT a higher authority than our courts. If the courts have cleared you of wrongdoing, who is the NRL to place itself as some sort of higher power? It has gone too far and lacks consostency.

Criminals like Russel Packer and Matt Lodge are ok, but Folau is not? I just cannot accept that. There is no consistency nor any real logic in this. 

9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not against the law, he wont be getting paid so its a hobby

I'm sure it's all fine. After all, he was in constant contact with Catalans and being very honest about his entirely legitimate reasons why he couldn't possibly play rugby for them earlier in the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure it's all fine. After all, he was in constant contact with Catalans and being very honest about his entirely legitimate reasons why he couldn't possibly play rugby for them earlier in the year.

By the letter of the law its a hobby so whilst ethicaly its questionable there is no legal case to answer

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It depends on what it says in his contract

Not at all, you can do anything as a hobby if its unpaid, if theres something in his contract that states the contray it would be difficult to uphold in a court of law.

30 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not at all, you can do anything as a hobby if its unpaid, if theres something in his contract that states the contray it would be difficult to uphold in a court of law.

Clubs at that level in Australia usually pay their players.

Even regional Clubs in the Bush have some sort of payments.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Clubs at that level in Australia usually pay their players.

Even regional Clubs in the Bush have some sort of payments.

So just like over here then.

Think this shows, once again the arrogance of Australia RL in general. Cats own his registration but that doesn't seem to matter. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

So just like over here then.

Think this shows, once again the arrogance of Australia RL in general. Cats own his registration but that doesn't seem to matter. 

I do not know the details of his contract with Catalans or what has been agreed to by the player or the Clubs involved.

He is a wealthy man, maybe he bought out his contract himself.

Perhaps you have some insider knowledge?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived