Academy Licensing (2022 - 27) - (Merged threads)

As usual, the lack of professionalism from people working in RL is notable in the responses to this decision. We've quickly covered the usual: it's a disgrace, my club's proposal was world-beating, the game's dead, the expansion clubs are to blame, the RFL are corrupt.

Frankly, some of the people in this sport would struggle to find employment if they hadn't moved directly from the playing field to the club office.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dead man inc said:

Would be interesting to see the figures on just how many academy products make it to SL, how many go to Champ/L1, how many return to the community game & how many stop playing completely. (unfortunately my gut feeling is that the biggest proportion of the 4 groups is the lost to the game category.)

Certainly if you wanted a cat 1 Academy you'd ensure your players were not lost to the game, you'd want to make certain all the evidence available to enquries would be that you placed your youth not successful in earning a further contract at your club, into a Championship or League 1 Club or guided back into the open age community game with registrations to community clubs backing that up. This includes encouraging and guiding unsuccessful u15 and u16 scholars back into the game and not jack it in. 

Naw, too much hard work, just cast em aside without consequence.....well clearly there are consequences. 

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

As usual, the lack of professionalism from people working in RL is notable in the responses to this decision. We've quickly covered the usual: it's a disgrace, my club's proposal was world-beating, the game's dead, the expansion clubs are to blame, the RFL are corrupt.

Frankly, some of the people in this sport would struggle to find employment if they hadn't moved directly from the playing field to the club office.

How are any of the reactions different to the entire game of football when the SL was announced? We're hardly alone in the sporting world, or society in general for giving opinions on social media. This is the world we live in now. 

Is it really any worse than back in the 80s when you'd turn on TV and see Alex Murphy turning the air blue in a Wigan changing room whilst the players sat sipping beer?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Maybe if Leigh had said they'd cover London and/or Newcastle they'd have been approved

Why ask me , I've argued long and hard that too many academies is a bad thing , I've no issue with this new licence system , it's common sense , I'd just prefer them to be upfront about it 

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I feel the pressure on the RFL to review their decision is significant and they may have to look at it again. 

The pool of talent in West Yorkshire is absolutely ginormous compared to the 6 junior clubs fielding 8 teams in the NE League. I kinda agree with the London & Newcastle academies but feel they need to be casting their nets into heartland areas as well, Clubs can have a max of 25 academy eligible players registered so at Newcastle you'd be thinking 15 lads from the North East Junior League and bringing 10 up from Yorkshire possibly.......

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The pool of talent in West Yorkshire is absolutely ginormous compared to the 6 junior clubs fielding 8 teams in the NE League. I kinda agree with the London & Newcastle academies but feel they need to be casting their nets into heartland areas as well, Clubs can have a max of 25 academy eligible players registered so at Newcastle you'd be thinking 15 lads from the North East Junior League and bringing 10 up from Yorkshire possibly.......

Possibly they will.

I do think that due to it's sheer population size there must be a hell of a lot of talented athletic youngsters in London who would make very good Rugby League players, but the problem remains how to tap into that base. The obvious answer to me it to get more schools playing our game and more community clubs

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I don't think they will. In the RFL eyes they have gone for quality over quantity.

I agree with the reasoning for these decisions, and believe the RFL have the best interests of all levels of the sport at heart.

But if the decision isn't supported by the majority it's a brave move to push ahead.  You need people behind decisions and that isn't happening.

It's possibly a lesson in selling your decision to the masses. I do believe many who are vocalising their disapproval are misguided in the overall issues with the exception of people hurt due to their own clubs being overlooked. Maybe the issues this is hoping to address can be looked at with a different change, maybe scholarships can be looked at? 

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I agree with the reasoning for these decisions, and believe the RFL have the best interests of all levels of the sport at heart.

But if the decision isn't supported by the majority it's a brave move to push ahead.  You need people behind decisions and that isn't happening.

It's possibly a lesson in selling your decision to the masses. I do believe many who are vocalising their disapproval are misguided in the overall issues with the exception of people hurt due to their own clubs being overlooked. Maybe the issues this is hoping to address can be looked at with a different change, maybe scholarships can be looked at? 

Who is the majority? 

49 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I feel the pressure on the RFL to review their decision is significant and they may have to look at it again. 

Why? Have those making noise on social media read all the submissions to the panel or choosing to believe what they want to?

20 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Only time will tell if the RFL are right.

If i knew the answer i would be working for the RFL, but i don't.

I see both sides of the argument. 

I see the benefits of having a smaller elite Academy and i see the benefits of having more clubs with academies increasing the player base.

16 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why? Have those making noise on social media read all the submissions to the panel or choosing to believe what they want to?

Yes I understand, there is significant pressure though, John Wells waying in on Sky Sports.

With this pressure, I do feel they need to back their judgement and articulate their reasons to squash this uprising, or offer an olive branch of sorts. As I mentioned just before, it is important to have the backing of the stakeholders, fans, players etc.  We will likely learn more over the coming days, but I do feel this has more to follow. Let's see I could be wrong 

31 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I say majority, there's certainly a lot of noise and pressure. I haven't heard as many support the decision as criticise it, but obviously haven't got a full canvass of opinion. 

Do you think it's more balanced? 

So people who haven’t read any of the proposals and who probably didn’t even have an opinion on academies before this week are sounding off on social media and this leads you to think the RFL will (and should) review their decisions?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So people who haven’t read any of the proposals and who probably didn’t even have an opinion on academies before this week are sounding off on social media and this leads you to think the RFL will (and should) review their decisions?

Answered above 👍

And yes, I've had conversations with people on Twitter who obviously had no idea what system is in place now let alone the changes, so agree they are loud but not entirely valued opinions, I've tried to explain my thoughts above 

29 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Yes I understand, there is significant pressure though, John Wells waying in on Sky Sports.

With this pressure, I do feel they need to back their judgement and articulate their reasons to squash this uprising, or offer an olive branch of sorts. As I mentioned just before, it is important to have the backing of the stakeholders, fans, players etc.  We will likely learn more over the coming days, but I do feel this has more to follow. Let's see I could be wrong 

I think between the amateur game and the leading Professional clubs (plus a few more) they've got all the support they need.

11 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Certainly if you wanted a cat 1 Academy you'd ensure your players were not lost to the game, you'd want to make certain all the evidence available to enquries would be that you placed your youth not successful in earning a further contract at your club, into a Championship or League 1 Club or guided back into the open age community game with registrations to community clubs backing that up. This includes encouraging and guiding unsuccessful u15 and u16 scholars back into the game and not jack it in. 

Naw, too much hard work, just cast em aside without consequence.....well clearly there are consequences. 

great post 👏👏👏 if only the top paragraph was put in place!

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Possibly they will.

I do think that due to it's sheer population size there must be a hell of a lot of talented athletic youngsters in London who would make very good Rugby League players, but the problem remains how to tap into that base. The obvious answer to me it to get more schools playing our game and more community clubs

There needs to be a career path below SuperLeague/Broncos in London though (and more than just Skolars) in order to make the Academy really bear fruit. Otherwise talented young players will be trained, "invested in" (at considerable cost), developed,  and then, as has happened before, be enticed away by a predatory rival sport that has numerous professional and semi-professionnal opportunities dotted around the London area, some of whom don't even bother to operate their own academies.

Your post is correct - there are some amazing athletes around there, who can do some serious damage on a Rugby League pitch. 

12 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Newcastle have a number of Cumbrian lads in their youth system,so I’d be surprised if Yorkshire lads aren’t being targeted.

23 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It is not only the lack of professionalism but the lack of being able to read and understand is embarrassing

Adrian Vowles is a prime example saying that people who made the decision are non RL people who haven't played or been involved in the game when you only to have to look to see an ex GB player was involved and another an ex pro player and pro coach  

Archived