Academy Licensing (2022 - 27) - (Merged threads)

56 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is the RFL really calling on Bradford to axe their academy?

Who would their academy players play against if they continued running one ? No point in having an academy if they can’t actually play any games of RL.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Is the RFL really calling on Bradford to axe their academy?

Yes. Bradford are to be excluded from playing against other elite 1 academies, so the best players in their talent pathway will switch to Leeds or Huddersfield at the relevant age in order to play at the highest standard. That has the same outcome. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Who would their academy players play against if they continued running one ? No point in having an academy if they can’t actually play any games of RL.

Derr the colleges as per press release

46 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yes. Bradford are to be excluded from playing against other elite 1 academies, so the best players in their talent pathway will switch to Leeds or Huddersfield at the relevant age in order to play at the highest standard. That has the same outcome. 

It doesnt it just relegates their academy to tier 2 which is the level the furst team are at.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think the lack of fans was down to the RFL but agree closing academies isn’t good for the game in the medium to long term. Widnes closing theirs was tragic considering the players they produce(d). 

I don’t think it’s a case of academies or community game, there’s a way they could co-exist. 

There is, one elite academy in each area thats centrally funded, therefore every kid in the heartlands has a local academy which is linked to a pro club

• John Drake changed the title to Academy Licensing (2022 - 27) - (Merged threads)
52 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yeah that’ll really develop them as players by playing exclusively against much inferior opposition. Unless they’re going to have meaningful competitive games against similar or better standard opposition then there really is no point.

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yeah that’ll really develop them as players by playing exclusively against much inferior opposition. Unless they’re going to have meaningful competitive games against similar or better standard opposition then there really is no point.

That is Englands and Australias argument for the lack of internationals.

Are the college teams inferior? Will they be better by playing better sides?

Is the alterior motive to get the best players into SL academys?

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yes the college teams are inferior. They also don’t fulfil all of their fixtures.

To your secondary point: If England played more internationals against good opposition we’d be better. The more Tonga, Samoa and Fiji play the top 3, then 1) the better they will get and - even more powerfully in this context, as it’s where the analogy really lies - then 2) more players with 2 countries to choose from will stick with their heritage side instead of Oz or NZ. Strength gets distributed better, and depth evolves 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 24/05/2021 at 23:17, yipyee said:

So one academy per area for elite players, seems a good use of central funds. I can see why fans can be upset but its fair.

How is that even close to fair? 
Fair is every SL club runs a Cat 1 academy, or no club runs a Cat 1 academy - with the Rfl running regional academies directly. 

The easiest way to compare fairness and competition integrity is East Yorkshire. 
In the future, Hull have a couple of first team wingers go down with illness. They then go to their star u19’s winger who has come through the elite academy and has already learned the plays & processes of Hull. This helps them to win the game. 
Also in the future, HKR have the same problem. They can’t go to their elite u19 winger because they don’t have one. They may not have decided to run a Cat3 academy in which case they play a centre out of position or get a loan winger in. If they are running a Cat 3 academy then they need to check if the player (who is completing a plumbers apprenticeship) is available. Unfortunately they lose the game, but the burst pipe is sorted. 

And another thing. I assume compensation will now be dropped. If 9 of the 12 SL clubs are generating the future players of the game, How do the 3 clubs get the players? If they have to pay £20k compensation every time they sign an academy player, that’ll get old very quickly. 
Remembering that academies are Rfl funded and that the Rfl is a member organisation- The 3clubs have a case that they’ve already subsidised the training of the players in those academies and why should they pay more?

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

There is, one elite academy in each area thats centrally funded, therefore every kid in the heartlands has a local academy which is linked to a pro club

Good for the lucky clubs, another way that nobody else can ever catch up. 

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

If most clubs run a cat 3 academy then the college comp could be a decent standard. Bradford, Castleford, Halifax, Wakefield, Hull KR plus the clubs with Cat 1 academies also running Cat 3 like Leeds, Huddersfield,  Wakefield, Hull then it could be competitive 

John Kear and Dave Rotherham are on this week’s 5 Live podcast talking about the academy decision.

Kear is obviously angry about it, pointing out for example that 8 of their 17 last weekend came through their academy, while Rotherham sounded like Rimmer Lite with his bland and non-specific responses to questions. 

They also said that one of the questions in the application was ‘would you still be prepared to run an academy with reduced or no funding’ - how very RFL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09jlhbc

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They also said that one of the questions in the application was ‘would you still be prepared to run an academy with reduced or no funding’ - how very RFL.

Variations of that are standard on pretty much all funding applications.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Variations of that are standard on pretty much all funding applications.

Are they? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just surprised as I’ve worked on countless funding applications in different sectors over the years and have never seen it before. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Are they? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just surprised as I’ve worked on countless funding applications in different sectors over the years and have never seen it before. 

It seems fairly standard on the ones I've worked on.

The total value is X, the funding from this source is a percentage (or all) of X. If funding is offered at 75% what will happen etc ..., what about 50%, what about 25%. If funding is not obtained from this source how, if at all, will the work proceed ...

And so on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It seems fairly standard on the ones I've worked on.

The total value is X, the funding from this source is a percentage (or all) of X. If funding is offered at 75% what will happen etc ..., what about 50%, what about 25%. If funding is not obtained from this source how, if at all, will the work proceed ...

And so on.

Fair enough, my apologies to the RFL then! 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Neither have I.  Variations are for just that, variations to an agreed standard or contract.

I have seen additional funding given though.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

John Kear and Dave Rotherham are on this week’s 5 Live podcast talking about the academy decision.

Kear is obviously angry about it, pointing out for example that 8 of their 17 last weekend came through their academy, while Rotherham sounded like Rimmer Lite with his bland and non-specific responses to questions. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09jlhbc

Always amazes me how people like Rotheram find their way into these jobs. When he was Workington coach he was the most insipid, uninspiring, bland person you could meet. Universally disliked by the players, one of those "NRL speak" coaches who couldn't have a conversation without using Australianisms and tired old cliches from there.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Always amazes me how people like Rotheram find their way into these jobs. When he was Workington coach he was the most insipid, uninspiring, bland person you could meet. Universally disliked by the players, one of those "NRL speak" coaches who couldn't have a conversation without using Australianisms and tired old cliches from there.

University education,followed by the Dilbert/Peter Principle.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, yipyee said:

It's not as simple as just switching switching fixtures of their current academy to playing college teams. Clubs have to link up with a college and any players have to be enrolled in that particular college. Clubs can ask youngsters to enroll there but ultimately it puts the college in charge of your youth recruitment.

Archived