• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

In all it various guises has london ever played in east London?

They’ve played in north London at Barnet, west London with Fulham and Ealing and south london at Crystal Palace but I can’t ever remember them having a home in the east end.

The Valley (Charlton). It's south of the Thames, but I'd have thought it would be classed as east London.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The Valley (Charlton). It's south of the Thames, but I'd have thought it would be classed as east London.

Not really. It's very much south east.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Charlton I believe is classed as south London while the “true” east end is north of the Thames.

Indeed, I live there no one would say they're from east London.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Both west London and east London are classed north of the Thames. Right?

Yep, but to add some confusion parts of Southwark i.e. around London bridge are usually classed as central London, jumping the north south divide. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Yep, but to add some confusion parts of Southwark i.e. around London bridge are usually classed as central London, jumping the north south divide. 

Westminster, north of the river, with its SW postcodes ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

As a Londoner I admit the situation is a bit odd as to the colloquial way the city is divided up, not administratively but how people see their area and what part of London it is. South of the river it's really only South East or South West.  SE is Charlton, Woolwich, Crystal Palace Sydenham going further out to Bromley Eltham Sidcup or Orpington,  Croydon. Thamesmead and Abbey Wood would be SE also though close to the Thames. SW close to the river is Richmond Twickenham  Kingston,  further SW is Wimbledon,  Morden,  Surbiton. Brixton and Streatham and Dulwich are SW also more inner London. 

North London is more sub divided colloquially speaking. West is Fulham , Ealing further out to Southall. NW is Wembley,  Harrow,  Ruislip.  North is Haringey Edmonton going further out to Edgeware,  Barnet,  NE is Walthamstow Enfield Chingford possibly Ilford and pure East is West and East Ham, Stratford,  Bow, Barking Leyton   Leytonstone further East but just above the Thames would be Rainham. 

Edit- Whitechapel and Hackney are East.

Willesden  , Harlesden- NW

If you lived in Paddington Marylebone,  Euston or Shoreditch you'd probably say you lived in Central London. Southwark, Bermondsey just south of the river but central probably also central London. 

Also the London postcodes cover only about two thirds of the London boroughs. The outer boroughs administratively are definitely under London jurisdiction but county  postcodes. I'm in Ilford,  London borough of Redbridge but postcode IG an Essex code. The outer boroughs previously under county control were a long time ago brought under greater London control. 

Back to the Broncos the best location for them IMO was Ealing.  With no Premier league football team nearby,  though that might change if Brentford go up, and the Yawnion area not to far, Ealing is a nice " rugby " location. 

Anyone bought a ticket on the site I tried earlier but no luck (Maybe sold out) I was also trying to find out if there was a pre match lunch but cannot find anything.

There was also a business club I believe this season however no news recently so I presume that this is not happening now.

20 hours ago, HawkMan said:

If you lived in Paddington Marylebone,  Euston or Shoreditch you'd probably say you lived in Central London. Southwark, Bermondsey just south of the river

My mum was a Millwall supporter who grew up New Cross and ‘sarf of the river’ was very much the defining attitude, I believe, with presumably a similar attitude for Bermondsey and Deptford. 

Charlton is pretty far east, further to the east than Stratford, West Ham etc. But I would agree it is not 'East London', it is South East London in usual parlance.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Anyone bought a ticket on the site I tried earlier but no luck (Maybe sold out) I was also trying to find out if there was a pre match lunch but cannot find anything.

There was also a business club I believe this season however no news recently so I presume that this is not happening now.

You had to buy by the 21st, apparently.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You had to buy by the 21st, apparently.

Ohh anyway given up now looks like Cricket for me this summer which is a shame as I was getting into it again over the last couple of seasons but have slowly lost interest.

On 22/05/2021 at 03:48, HawkMan said:

Back to the Broncos the best location for them IMO was Ealing.  With no Premier league football team nearby,  though that might change if Brentford go up, and the Yawnion area not to far, Ealing is a nice " rugby " location. 

Great geography lesson btw, but on RL...

I don’t think London Broncos need to be concerned where other football teams may be located. The Broncos should be a team for all of London (and the south for that matter) and their home should be reasonably accessible. The inner, the better.

In my humble opinion, I don’t think London Broncos succeed because SL itself is not worthy of the attention or even curiosity of the non conforming mass.

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Just guessing but maybe hundreds of years ago the London north of the Thames was developed 1st or most populated before the areas south of the Thames?

You could be right and your theory sounds very plausible. 

I am only a new age Prophet, so from experience, I cannot confirm or deny 😂

Archived