26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You must have got lost as it's one mile from Tooting Broadway!

I've never been that way but I can tell you there's dozens of ‘nice’ places on Garratt Lane (the main road leading down to Plough Lane from Earlsfield station), then as you come towards Plough Lane itself there’s takeaways, cafe, a Tesco Express for cans/snacks, By The Horns craft beer tap room, the Corner Pin pub and Macca’s is building a new branch bang opposite the ground. 

It’s pwopa London, not a remote corner of a Middlesex suburb.  

I was in Wimbledon for work a few weeks ago for a couple of days so I walked up to the new ground from Wimbledon High Street. It was a bit of a walk, but Google Maps said it would be, so that’s not a problem for me. There isn’t a great deal around it at the minute, that Corner Pin pub looked closed due to it looking tatty and run down, I’m surprised it is still a pub (when I went pubs were still closed unless they had outdoor areas). The By The Horns brewery was decent, I had a good chat with the bloke who run it and enjoyed three pints but size wise, it doesn’t look big enough to cater for too many. Where Hayden’s Road station is, there was some cafes and chicken shops but no bars/pubs. 

I think, if Saints played them, I would probably head to Wimbledon High Street as there was a few pubs around there and then head to the Brewery, providing its open. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I was in Wimbledon for work a few weeks ago for a couple of days so I walked up to the new ground from Wimbledon High Street. It was a bit of a walk, but Google Maps said it would be, so that’s not a problem for me. There isn’t a great deal around it at the minute, that Corner Pin pub looked closed due to it looking tatty and run down, I’m surprised it is still a pub (when I went pubs were still closed unless they had outdoor areas). The By The Horns brewery was decent, I had a good chat with the bloke who run it and enjoyed three pints but size wise, it doesn’t look big enough to cater for too many. Where Hayden’s Road station is, there was some cafes and chicken shops but no bars/pubs. 

I think, if Saints played them, I would probably head to Wimbledon High Street as there was a few pubs around there and then head to the Brewery, providing its open. 

Corner Pin is very much open as it's been designated a home pub by the Met Police. £££££

Wimbledon itself is nice but it's a bit of schlep from Plough Lane. Coming via Earlsfield, we'll probably nip in to the Leather Bottle for a quick one (lovely but expensive) walking down Garratt Lane from the station. Then head to the stadium. The ground itself will have a pub and the main stand will have loads of bars:  

59 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Corner Pin is very much open as it's been designated a home pub by the Met Police. £££££

Wimbledon itself is nice but it's a bit of schlep from Plough Lane. Coming via Earlsfield, we'll probably nip in to the Leather Bottle for a quick one (lovely but expensive) walking down Garratt Lane from the station. Then head to the stadium. The ground itself will have a pub and the main stand will have loads of bars:  

Nice facility. 

8 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Apparently there were only 350 people at Ealing yesterday. That is not going to look good at a 9,300 capacity stadium.

Was that due to crowd restrictions though? If not then yes that’s woeful. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Was that due to crowd restrictions though? If not then yes that’s woeful. 

About right (I counted it 3/4 times) but that also included club officials players WAGS children and around 5 from Dewsbury LOL:)

So prob 300/320 was nearer to the real figure.

Speaking to a couple of old Fulham days Broncos fans before the game they are convinced that Wimbledon will bring many of the old craven cottage fans back, i nearly fell over when I heard that god bless them.

Look this is not a dig at the club management here some of the work at the Broncos is admirable the academy which produces players for Super League clubs in the north of England is fantastic however on a fan front the club is dying on its backside.

Maybe no more than 100 people under the age of 100 at the match says it all its basically a dying fan base.

Went to the grange pub in Ealing after the match with my daughter for dinner before I drove home there was prob nearly as many in there and the garden average age around 25 says it all.

Paul

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

To be fair Archie 350 was about right I counted 3/4 times 

😞

You said a bit less than that and it sounded as if you included the players, ref and the passengers on a flight landing at Heathrow. 😁

But you are right. The remaining hardcore is a middle-aged (at best) rump of fans who would follow the club anywhere and put up with anything.

I really don’t know how you attract new people to the game in London given there is no money to market beyond what the clubs have (zilch) and the level of exposure of the game here (zero). Skolars have a good model of community engagement and promotion as a local (Haringey/Tottenham) team, including involving the local MPs, but we’ve not had the success on the pitch to attract and retain long term converts. Maybe the WC will give a boost but I’m not optimistic. 

There are probably more people playing RL than watching it in London. 

Since 5pm on Saturday the chances of engaging local sport loving youth of Ealing took a blow. The area now has an EPL team , if only the Broncos could have moved to the new Brentford stadium we could have ridden on the coattails of that journey. However moving to Wimbledon might be a smart move going forward. 

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve always believed Ealing is a dead end. 

If you play in a ground geared up for a few hundred people, don’t be surprised if only a few hundred people show up. 

That’s slightly disingenuous though isn’t it? We have already said we are leaving. 
What were the attendances at Barnet?

The team behind the scenes isn't equipped to raise the profile of London. There are no communications, advertising of events.........They have banned people who are vocally critical of what is going on.

I didn't go yesterday nor did a number of people I know because we are sick of it. Added to the woeful product on the field. (Bulls last week was a low point).

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Since 5pm on Saturday the chances of engaging local sport loving youth of Ealing took a blow. The area now has an EPL team , if only the Broncos could have moved to the new Brentford stadium we could have ridden on the coattails of that journey. However moving to Wimbledon might be a smart move going forward. 

Those people will already support a football team, and if it isn’t Brentford they aren’t going to start supporting them now they’re in the top flight, and if it is then they support them already anyway? 

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

That’s slightly disingenuous though isn’t it? We have already said we are leaving. 
What were the attendances at Barnet?

2014 - Super League - 1,294

2015 - Championship - 645

Barnet FC shiny new stadium, Very good links to public transport, "Melferrer" on the Board telling us how many Barnet FC fans would be popping along to watch Rugby League - Three figure sum paid to soccer club.  Clubs youth players still playing at Feltham away from first team.

As someone once wrote - History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Still - Attendances are low at Ealing this year because of the fact that the club wants not to sell tickets but QR codes thropugh Ticketco . Mobile Ticketing not being something those of us of a certain age are comfortable with and the Gulag style restrictions on entering and being at the ground. Having been to the cricket recently these restrictions are not in place there.

What will happen is this, the Initial matches at Wimbledon will draw a crowd albiet nowhere near the 2,000 odd quoted and then it will settle back to around 350-500 depending on how many the opposition brings.

I will leave you to ponder whether the clubs new arrangements, are in any way, viable in the mediumnto long term.

Of course the main reason ius that with the hike in season ticket prices and the move the club has lost a lot a lot of its core support including me and most have found something better to do.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Those people will already support a football team, and if it isn’t Brentford they aren’t going to start supporting them now they’re in the top flight, and if it is then they support them already anyway? 

I was thinking along the lines  of those casual sports fans, no allegiances to any team or even sport, who may see Brentford FC as a cool place to go, assuming of course they can get a ticket. 

Broncos could have had a bit of that,  still not to be , shame. 

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve always believed Ealing is a dead end. 

If you play in a ground geared up for a few hundred people, don’t be surprised if only a few hundred people show up. 

Really doesn’t matter where you play if your entire “marketing” is based on doing less than the bare minimum 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

About right (I counted it 3/4 times) but that also included club officials players WAGS children and around 5 from Dewsbury LOL:)

So prob 300/320 was nearer to the real figure.

Speaking to a couple of old Fulham days Broncos fans before the game they are convinced that Wimbledon will bring many of the old craven cottage fans back, i nearly fell over when I heard that god bless them.

Paul

More like a return to Chiswick Poly on those numbers ! ! ! !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

5 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

The thing is, that both on and off the pitch, things were improving at Trailfinders.

Were they though? 
Trailfinders still isn't a ground for a professional team in any sport imo.

Archived