47 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

+ One has to remember that a pint is pretty steep as well at Ealing.

TBF, the price of a Pint at Ealing was pretty much the same as one of the nearby pubs... And price of beer is going to go up a lot now that the Tim Martin's of this world have to start paying bar staff a proper wage and not the pittnance they get atm

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, crashmon said:

TBF, the price of a Pint at Ealing was pretty much the same as one of the nearby pubs... And price of beer is going to go up a lot now that the Tim Martin's of this world have to start paying bar staff a proper wage and not the pittnance they get atm

Excluding Wetherspoons, a pint of basic low brand beer anywhere in London is around the £5+ mark, moving up into the £6.50 region for something a bit better quality. When I was up in Coventry for the Skolars game a couple of weeks ago, I had to double check with the barmaid that i had paid enough when she gave me change from a tenner after i had brought 3 pints 😳

10 hours ago, crashmon said:

The issue for me is not so much Wimbledon or playing at Wimbledon. The issue is I want London Broncos to spend funds on the Squad and not on ground rent. Improve the squad, you get more fans, have a sucessful product you have more fans, grow into the stadium when your ready, not when you rebuliding. 

Moving to a shiny new stadium will only work if you have the product to match the stadium, and right now London does not have a product which will generate enough revenue to pay the rent Wimbledon are asking for, without starving funds from the squad which will then result in worse product on the pitch which will lose more fans, and your in an ever decreasing circle.

Basically what this looks like is Barnet 2 but on steroids. 

Spot on but the damage has already been done - 280 in attendance according to League Express.

When you break the link between Season Ticket holders and the club as they have managed to do this season, this is the outcome. I do not think reducing the price now will make any difference.

When the Broncos moved to Ealing, for the benefit of those not on this board at the time, the consensus was this was the final move. For the club to move again would mean extinction

And so thanks to the organ grinder and his monkey,  If London Broncos is not already no longer viable as a Rugby League club, it soon will be. 😠

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

5 hours ago, crashmon said:

Agree with that:)

Went to a lovely pub after the match with my daughter called the grange nice food.

Back to the Broncos I really dont see where they can go from here and this is NOT a dig at the club and David Hughes who has put millions in however for me Ealing at our level was perfect.

However if we are now down to less than 300 even Ealing is now too big.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Agree with that:)

Went to a lovely pub after the match with my daughter called the grange nice food.

Back to the Broncos I really dont see where they can go from here and this is NOT a dig at the club and David Hughes who has put millions in however for me Ealing at our level was perfect.

However if we are now down to less than 300 even Ealing is now too big.

Weird name your daughter's.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back to the Broncos I really dont see where they can go from here and this is NOT a dig at the club and David Hughes who has put millions in

This kind of statement actually annoys me because many players, administrators and fans have also spent a lot of money watching London Broncos over the years and have seen a club that drew over 10,000 for a game against Wigan one balmy August evening in 1996 to a club than now pulls 280. You can understand the level of anger

When you become chairman of a sporting club you hold that position in trust for future generations, for while players and coaches go, so do club chairmen, We have been told for some time of "the London thing" and that without David there would be no London Broncos, true but also with David in charge there will soon be no London Broncos. Clubs are not personal toys for the rich to be broken and abandoned at whim and left as a non viable entity.

As soon as next season there may be no professional full time Rugby league south of Wakefield. What impact does that have on the wider game, next time you are watching SKY SPORTS summer of sport advert think to yourself, which sport is missing from the nine listed and which sport has had a dramatically reduced TV deal whatrever way it is being spun. The kind of deal a regional sport gets with a limited geographical footprint..

So let's not be critical of the club, the way it is run or the owner eh?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just seen that Wombles are away New Year´s Day, maybe Broncos can be proactive and get an England vs Wales 9´s series (Men, Women and a Exiles team) organised to bring in new fans and sponsors? 

I mean, we could do that.

But, on the other hand, let's not, eh?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure whether you think it is a bad idea or Broncos wouldnt bother to do it. 

It's a terrible idea that London should run away from even thinking about.

I do agree that there are some new thinking is needed but a 9s tourney on spurious lines deep in the wintry off-season on a day when people tend to be travelling or hungover or both (or already have football matches to go to) has too many downsides - and that's before thinking about how it fits with any kinds of development strategy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well it wouldnt be spurious  (fake or false) and it's an hour and a bit of RL.  Not sure why an exhibition needs a 'developement plan' but I get your point about competition.

However wombles are away and internationals tend to draw. 

The development plan is that if this is a thing that London are doing then they are taking time and money away from doing *any other thing* so it would need to have a purpose and be the best thing for that purpose.

So, to give an example, say that purpose is to double the number of season ticket holders (from 1 to 2 based on current numbers) is one day of international 9s held on a cold January day the best way of doing that? Or should they spend January - to give a possible counter - spending the same amount of money on a promotional push going into local schools and community organisations offering free junior season tickets to anyone buying an adult one.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Still not been voted on by Merton Council.

Not on the agenda for the 29 June meeting. Next meeting after that is 15 July. 

https://democracy.merton.gov.uk/ieListMeetings.aspx?CommitteeId=155

And most councils don't schedule meetings for August, as too many people are away.

On 02/06/2021 at 19:13, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s £6.10 for a pint of Estrella in Wimbledon High Street. I was there a few weeks ago for work and had a smile at what I expect Rugby League fans’ reactions would be at that. 

" OW MUCH ? " 😁

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well surely the aim of the event would be to actully make money so I dont get why it would be either or. I think actually getting people going to the ground and experiencing a game would be more likely to get people in. 

Sorry, I did mean to reply to this but got distracted. I just think it's not an easy event - the one you're describing - to make money on. You have to create and kit out at least six teams (so that's players, coaches, medical, travel, hotels, match fees and then match kit, training kit etc), market a completely new event such that 6,000 people turn up on a very cold day and they all spend enough money to cover and exceed the opening of the stadium costs. Meanwhile, you've also had to pay the additional people (or agency) to handle said marketing and any on the day work converting attendees for this international day into ticket holders for a club they previously had no interest in.

19 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And most councils don't schedule meetings for August, as too many people are away.

Merton currently have a Planning Committee meeting scheduled for August 19th. If passed there that leaves a maximum of two regular season games there. 

Edited to say I suspect it will be heard in July given Broncos have confirmed all July games will be at Ealing but not August 8th v Toulouse. That would see three regular season games at Wimbledon.

1 minute ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Merton currently have a Planning Committee meeting scheduled for August 19th. If passed there that leaves a maximum of two regular season games there. 

We'll probably still play AFCW their £200k

Archived