Milking It

Are you happy when your player draws a penalty by milking a decision?

If so, I hope you are open to having the favour returned.

Are there certain offences you are happy for players to milk and other ones not so much?

I ask as the NRL has opened itself up for every player that feels the slightest contact on the chin, nose or forehead to stay down after contact and draw investigation from the bunker to draw a penalty and a likely sin bin.

6 hours ago, daz39 said:

Nope, hate it but unfortunately coaches and players will try anything to gain an advantage

Bit unfortunate for you when you have Lee Gaskell in your team!

Like you, I hate it and feel embarrassed when Hull FC gain an advantage* by such deeds.

(*Unless of course it occurs in a Hull Derby, obviously!)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Are you happy when your player draws a penalty by milking a decision?

If so, I hope you are open to having the favour returned.

Are there certain offences you are happy for players to milk and other ones not so much?

I ask as the NRL has opened itself up for every player that feels the slightest contact on the chin, nose or forehead to stay down after contact and draw investigation from the bunker to draw a penalty and a likely sin bin.

I'm sincerely hoping our game doesn't sink to the pantomime proportions that have ruined Football. Soccer 🤪 is a once proud sport sadly reduced to habitual cheating, diving and exhibitions of rolling around screaming.

Clubs, coaches, players and officials all have a serious responsibility to eradicate fake fouls & made up drama queen injuries from Rugby League.

Certain clubs are using these tactics to attain significant advantages.

However, there is still a majority of our participants who continue to play the game properly. I just hope a uniform response from both officials and supporters sends the Fake-Rugby merchants packing.

I fully support any moves to stamp out fraudulent tactics & blatant cheating from all corners of our noble sport 👍

27 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

I'm sincerely hoping our game doesn't sink to the pantomime proportions that have ruined Football. Soccer 🤪 is a once proud sport sadly reduced to habitual cheating, diving and exhibitions of rolling around screaming.

Clubs, coaches, players and officials all have a serious responsibility to eradicate fake fouls & made up drama queen injuries from Rugby League.

Certain clubs are using these tactics to attain significant advantages.

However, there is still a majority of our participants who continue to play the game properly. I just hope a uniform response from both officials and supporters sends the Fake-Rugby merchants packing.

I fully support any moves to stamp out fraudulent tactics & blatant cheating from all corners of our noble sport 👍

The unfortunate circumstance is that when the directive to referees is to mandatorily hand out sin bins to any player that makes slight contact with the head in the tackle, the reward for staying down is so great.

Players milking penalties ("He's holding me down, sir, I'm trying to get up, honest") has been going on for as long as I've been watching the game and I'm ancient.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Players milking penalties ("He's holding me down, sir, I'm trying to get up, honest") has been going on for as long as I've been watching the game and I'm ancient.

Course it has , point is it’s worse , more widespread and increasing in connection with the technology now scrutinising the game 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Course it has , point is it’s worse , more widespread and increasing in connection with the technology now scrutinising the game 

Sin bin the players who constantly try to milk penalties through out a game, and punish coaches who's teams constantly try to milk penalties as they are juts as guilty as the players or more so as they are encouraging their players to cheat.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The technology also means you can see it more.

Not that it hasn't always been happening all the time all through the game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The technology also means you can see it more.

Not that it hasn't always been happening all the time all through the game.

But the authorities want to use technology to scrutinise the game to the nth degree and achieve some sort of perfection and consistency that changes the whole nature of the game and player behaviour . It’s introduced a whole new layer of ‘ working ‘ the system , so yes you can see things that have always gone on a lot more , but it’s also a catalyst for a lot more , from obstruction to staying down in the tackle to HIA’s and beyond .  Basically the VR , in the NRL certainly , is refereeing the game so the players play to him 

No, It's crept in in the last few years and it's embarrassing!

We used to pride ourselves that our game didn't have the cheats, divers and playacting that football has, but we lost that ability years ago.

It doesn't help when they get away with it, but how do we stop it? unless it's blatantly obvious then how do referees penalise it?

If they award or don't award a penalty for perceived playacting then the fans will be on his back and up in arms when it doesn't go for their team.

I’ve watched 15 minutes of Titans -Dogs.  Firstly there was a Dogs try that was chalked because a dummy runner ran chest on chest at Wallace , who tumbled backwards ... the ball swept wide for a good try . Cecchin awarded it , but the bunker decided Wallace was denied a chance to defend it - even though it was miles away from him . Comms praise him on falling down , and admit if he’d stayed up it would have been given . So well done him . Then Sami stays down holding his neck , complaining , pointing , going on strike on the ground .  The bunkers micro analysis finds a penalty even though he crouched right over and the tackler is upright just trying to tackle him . Comms say ‘ is it a chicken wing , is it a crusher , well it wasn’t really either , but the game is clamping down ( what , even on things that aren’t there ? ) , so that’s ok . Sami wins a good penalty ... and the Titans score 

Plenty of face holding, neck rubbing and arms waving at the ref's in the NRL games this morning.

Rugby League used to be a tough game played by tough people.

Now it's a tough game played by tough people acting soft.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Plenty of face holding, neck rubbing and arms waving at the ref's in the NRL games this morning.

Rugby League used to be a tough game played by tough people.

Now it's a tough game played by tough people acting soft.

Don’t go down , and if you do some one will grab your collar and pick you up . Now don’t get up or someone will push you down again 

There are ball carriers who are ducking low in tackles or backing into tackles and tacklers are doing very little wrong . And there are some miraculous recoveries after penalties . I just think some of the things pulled up and punished are just complete rubbish 

Nelson Asofa-Solomona looked like he might’ve faked getting hit in the head to win a penalty in the Canberra 20. Melbourne scored. He scored.

Even if he didn’t, these are sort of the unintended consequences that will inevitably arise from coaches trying to find an edge. 

On 22/05/2021 at 08:03, gingerjon said:

Two words: Alex Murphy.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Archived