World 13 in 2021

If we were being honest, you would struggle to pick any sl players as the best in the world in any position over the last few years.

The hodgson, roby, etc debate is an interesting one. I'm the former's biggest fan as I've said many times before. I dont buy the "slow obvious dummy half" idea of him that most on here have. I think hes our best hooker, as do most league fans in oz I think. It would appear most league fans in the uk and on this forum think roby, and others, are better. But that's why we talk about all this stuff so much, cause we have different opinions and it's fun 

But the fact Grant, and roby, are being talked about as the best in the world for me shows how weak the hooker position is right now across the world. Great players (as is hodgson, although less so this season) but for a spine position it just doesnt seem to me that the big superstar talent is there at dummy half now cam smith has retired. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Roby has the benchmark for years , just incredible quality consistency and longevity . He’s been to our game what Smith’s been to theirs

Every bit as good as Smith and the Aussies always said they would always target Roby as Englands best player in the pre-match briefings.

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Possible for a very brief period, but highly, HIGHLY unlikely though.

"The best player in the world" would immediately leave Super League for the NRL (or union) as the rewards for such an exceptional talent would be multiples of what he would get playing in SuperLeague.

The SuperLeague clubs would be very unlikely to develop the best player in the world as any youngster who was that far ahead physically would be stolen at a very young age by an NRL team (or more likely a union academy) and there is zero chance the best player in the world is going to come in to Super League from the NRL as no Super League club could afford the established No1 player.

So in reality... They couldn't really have the best player in the world. 

Ha what a load of drivell,

This thread should be locked untol after the world cup and then we will see when the best players in the world actually play each other

On 21/05/2021 at 23:41, Manfred Mann said:

James Tedesco

Josh Addo-Carr, Latrell Mitchell, Tom Trbojevic, Ryan Papenhuyzen,

Cameron Munster

Nathan Cleary.

Jason Taumololo

David Fifita, Angus Chrichton

Josh Papali’i, Harry Grant, Addin Fonua -Blake

There's no Leythers in there Manny , can't be reet 

38 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Ha what a load of drivell,

This thread should be locked untol after the world cup and then we will see when the best players in the world actually play each other

I assume you mean 'drivel' (as in... "What a load of semi-literate misspelled drivel...")

What's drivel is you thinking the best players will play each other at the World Cup. The best players are playing each other NOW in the NRL season. A load of the best players won't even BE at the World Cup. It's one of Rugby Leagues biggest problems as a sport - the vast majority of the best players are Australian. 

Thinking otherwise is delusional (at best).

👍🏾

4 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I assume you mean 'drivel' (as in... "What a load of semi-literate misspelled drivel...")

What's drivel is you thinking the best players will play each other at the World Cup. The best players are playing each other NOW in the NRL season. A load of the best players won't even BE at the World Cup. It's one of Rugby Leagues biggest problems as a sport - the vast majority of the best players are Australian. 

👍🏾

Thank you for pointing out the connection between being linguistically challenged and being unable to understand reality.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Roby has the benchmark for years , just incredible quality consistency and longevity . He’s been to our game what Smith’s been to theirs

Absolutely,one of the best forwards in the world over a number of years who would have been a huge hit in the NRL if he had chosen that route.

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

👍🏾

How can the best players not be playing, you sir are a joke, give your head a wobble

What is funny is when average players from SL go to the NRL and end up top players over there, shows how average their teams are, boring  grind games with no flare.

Oh and this is a rugby forum not a spelling bee so stop being a 🔔

14 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Sure - decent player I agree, and capable of matching NRL wingers as you say. Although clearly has issues staying fit for a full season (possible lack of the correct S&C at a young age?)

But "best player in the world"? Highly unlikely!!

And if he did turn out to be, then he would rapidly (especially as a winger) get a massive offer from the Big League or from a rival sport, and very quickly leave the SuperLeague).  That was my point - the Best Player in the World will almost certainly not be playing in the SuperLeague. I think we can be 99% sure of that. 👍🏾

You still didn't explain why nobody should "decry long established clubs". 

Sorry to bring another sport into this, but Lionel Messi has been the best footballer on the planet for the last ten+ years and he's never played in its biggest and best league.

People called Romans they go the house

I think the only reason people might say a World 13 right now wouldn't have any poms in it is England hasn't played Australia since 2017, so we have no recent indication of who England's best players at that elite level are. But to think England suddenly doesn't have any is ridiculous. An ashes series last year could've put Makinson, Lomax, Walmsley or Roby into that mix, and they're all examples I've plucked from just from one club! 

There is little point having the debate with the NRL love in lot, as from their perspective any list of best players would have the top 200 players from that comp, and the next 100 from the Queensland Cup. We still produce many great players over here, and have a very watchable competition. 

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

How can the best players not be playing, you sir are a joke, give your head a wobble

What is funny is when average players from SL go to the NRL and end up top players over there, shows how average their teams are, boring  grind games with no flare.

Oh and this is a rugby forum not a spelling bee so stop being a 🔔

OK. I'll spell it out for you, and I won't resort to insults like you did.

If we take 1s as an easy example - let's look at some of the best fullbacks in the NRL. Which ones will be at the World Cup? 

Tedesco?

Trbojevic?

Gutherson?

Edwards?

Nicoll-Klokstad (Statistically the best FB in the NRL)

Ponga? (Played in the 9's for Australia - will he go?)

Edwards?

Papenhuyzen?

RTS? (Golden Boot holder.... He probably won't even bother going to the World Cup unfortunately, as it isn't a big enough draw for him).

That's a very rough list. I've probably missed a couple. How do you think that list will compare in terms of quality to the top 8 fullbacks who actually play play at the World Cup. Obviously some of them will play, but the World Cup will include a load of players of a much lower standard.

That's just Fullbacks. It can be replicated for pretty much every position. That is where Rugby League differs from other team sports for me. We are a bit like basketball in that aspect... A lot of our best players won't be at the World Cup. 

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There is little point having the debate with the NRL love in lot, as from their perspective any list of best players would have the top 200 players from that comp, and the next 100 from the Queensland Cup. We still produce many great players over here, and have a very watchable competition

I don't disagree with that at all. It's very enjoyable - especially early season, before the usual teams fall away due to injuries/lack of depth etc. 

Like you, I find it very watchable. Viewing figures/attendances though... Will probably disagree with us. There was hardly anyone watching on YouTube last week.   We will see once the crowds are allowed back in. 

5 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Sorry to bring another sport into this, but Lionel Messi has been the best footballer on the planet for the last ten+ years and he's never played in its biggest and best league.

Hasn't he? 

I mean... in 2018, when Real won the Champions League and Atlético won the Europa League, was he not playing in the best league then?

In 2016, when Real won the Champions League and Sevilla won the Europa League, I really thought he was playing in the best league that year. 

How about in 2015 when he won the Champions League himself with Barcelona and Sevilla won the Europa League again the same year?

Either way... It's hardly the point. Football has several top leagues that are close in terms of quality. Rugby League has 2, and the gap between them is massive both financially and in terms of level. 

32 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

That's just Fullbacks. It can be replicated for pretty much every position

Ok, choose three more positions and show us how the best players in the world will not be going to the World Cup.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

Ok, choose three more positions and show us how the best players in the world will not be going to the World Cup.

I think that list will consist of every NRL player who is not selected. We are all in agreement that the majority of the best players are produced by the Australian system - how could that not be the case - and it is a wonderful thing that they do for our game, but the Default NRL = Gods SL = monkeys is sooo tired and tiring, and simply wrong. It isn’t as if the NRL worshippers couldn’t find an NRL forum (presumably with a far higher calibre of poster) or post on the Australian forum. 

And I know if it annoys me I don’t have to read them, but this thread had a topic which was misleading. Why don’t they tag their topics NRL Winners SL Losers, so they can more easily be avoided?

Just reading this thread , one thing about Manfred is that he’s good at just lobbing in an incendiary then watching it go off !  On the actual topic itself , it’s good pub crack but pretty pointless tbh !

8 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Ronaldo is the best player and proved it several times in several leagues and at major international tournaments

Messi has been a good player in spain and done nothing for Argentina in major tournaments. Good player but lucky to be in a great team. 

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Hasn't he? 

I mean... in 2018, when Real won the Champions League and Atlético won the Europa League, was he not playing in the best league then?

In 2016, when Real won the Champions League and Sevilla won the Europa League, I really thought he was playing in the best league that year. 

How about in 2015 when he won the Champions League himself with Barcelona and Sevilla won the Europa League again the same year?

Either way... It's hardly the point. Football has several top leagues that are close in terms of quality. Rugby League has 2, and the gap between them is massive both financially and in terms of level. 

You are mistaking good teams in a poor league for a high quality league where every game is a challenge and top internationals play at every team

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

OK. I'll spell it out for you, and I won't resort to insults like you did.

If we take 1s as an easy example - let's look at some of the best fullbacks in the NRL. Which ones will be at the World Cup? 

Tedesco?

Trbojevic?

Gutherson?

Edwards?

Nicoll-Klokstad (Statistically the best FB in the NRL)

Ponga? (Played in the 9's for Australia - will he go?)

Edwards?

Papenhuyzen?

RTS? (Golden Boot holder.... He probably won't even bother going to the World Cup unfortunately, as it isn't a big enough draw for him).

That's a very rough list. I've probably missed a couple. How do you think that list will compare in terms of quality to the top 8 fullbacks who actually play play at the World Cup. Obviously some of them will play, but the World Cup will include a load of players of a much lower standard.

That's just Fullbacks. It can be replicated for pretty much every position. That is where Rugby League differs from other team sports for me. We are a bit like basketball in that aspect... A lot of our best players won't be at the World Cup. 

Tomkins and Hardaker are as good if not better than most of those, Coote will be at the world cup, not having the best season but a GF winner in both hemispheres

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Get the border up! Get von der Leyen on your bank notes and everything will be perfect. 🙂 

Fingers crossed!!!

If only your countrymen shared the same sentiments as you. 

Problem is, a load of them think we have no right to leave as we are about the only "colony" they have left. The PM thinks we shouldn't even be allowed to decide for ourselves. 

(Not "perfect" mind.... Just the govt we actually vote for) 

Archived