Sheffield

Some of the more stringent fans will have a better collection than me, but I've watched Rovers play Sheffield in Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster and Warrington. 

Can someone give me a definitive list of venues since Rovers first played the Eagles away? There have been at least 3 venues in Sheffield, The Don Valley, Bramall Lane and some s%%%y Rugby Union stadium. Have I missed anywhere?

11 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Some of the more stringent fans will have a better collection than me, but I've watched Rovers play Sheffield in Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster and Warrington. 

Can someone give me a definitive list of venues since Rovers first played the Eagles away? There have been at least 3 venues in Sheffield, The Don Valley, Bramall Lane and some s%%%y Rugby Union stadium. Have I missed anywhere?

They also played Eagles at the ground on Bawtry road used at the time by Hallam University for sports.There was a temporary stand behind the sticks and as it p=ssed it down it leaked.Ian Hardman was out injured but he sat in the stand with the supporters supping lager.

1987 22 November 10 10 D Owlerton Stadium
1990 3 January 30 20 W Belle Vue
1991 3 February 27 24 W Don Valley Stadium
1991 17 February 12 19 L Don Valley Stadium
1993 10 October 18 18 D Don Valley Stadium
1995 17 April 16 26 L Don Valley Stadium
2000 29 May 29 14 W Don Valley Stadium
2001 13 May 28 14 W Don Valley Stadium
2002 5 May 16 18 L Don Valley Stadium
2003 21 March 27 8 W Don Valley Stadium
2006 19 March 18 10 W Clifton Lane, Rotherham
2006 23 June 28 44 L Don Valley Stadium
2007 23 March 8 32 L Don Valley Stadium
2008 25 July 28 29 L Don Valley Stadium
2009 27 August 12 28 L Don Valley Stadium
2009 11 September 32 8 W Don Valley Stadium
2010 11 April 40 16 W Bramall Lane
2011 28 August 34 12 W Don Valley Stadium
2011 2 October 40 4 W HJ Stadium
2012 16 August 28 28 D Don Valley Stadium
2012 30 September 16 20 L HJ Stadium
2013 14 March 18 26 L Don Valley Stadium
2014 11 May 36 22 W Owlerton Stadium
2015 19 July 28 38 L Keepmoat Stadium
2016 24 June 10 35 L Hallam Univ SP
2017 12 March 47 22 W Belle Vue, Wakefield
2018 23 June 40 6 W Olympic Legacy Park
2018 7 September 32 12 W Olympic Legacy Park
2019 9 June 38 18 W Olympic Legacy Park

17 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Moon

Similar atmosphere to Sheffield Eagles home games🤔🤔🤔

I remember the first one 10-10 draw it was ankle deep in mud and after five minutes you could't tell who was who.Changed strips at half time but players were soon just as bad again.We were behind most of the game but kept at it to salvage a draw.It wasn't pretty.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes I should have added that.

Although age fogs the brain IIRC there was no limit on how many clubs you could take DR players from when 1st introduced? Not sure exactly when it was first introduced but I've found references back to 2010 with a quick Google search - one John Davies being DR'd from Cas to York coming up in the results!

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

1987 22 November 10 10 D Owlerton Stadium
1990 3 January 30 20 W Belle Vue
1991 3 February 27 24 W Don Valley Stadium
1991 17 February 12 19 L Don Valley Stadium
1993 10 October 18 18 D Don Valley Stadium
1995 17 April 16 26 L Don Valley Stadium
2000 29 May 29 14 W Don Valley Stadium
2001 13 May 28 14 W Don Valley Stadium
2002 5 May 16 18 L Don Valley Stadium
2003 21 March 27 8 W Don Valley Stadium
2006 19 March 18 10 W Clifton Lane, Rotherham
2006 23 June 28 44 L Don Valley Stadium
2007 23 March 8 32 L Don Valley Stadium
2008 25 July 28 29 L Don Valley Stadium
2009 27 August 12 28 L Don Valley Stadium
2009 11 September 32 8 W Don Valley Stadium
2010 11 April 40 16 W Bramall Lane
2011 28 August 34 12 W Don Valley Stadium
2011 2 October 40 4 W HJ Stadium
2012 16 August 28 28 D Don Valley Stadium
2012 30 September 16 20 L HJ Stadium
2013 14 March 18 26 L Don Valley Stadium
2014 11 May 36 22 W Owlerton Stadium
2015 19 July 28 38 L Keepmoat Stadium
2016 24 June 10 35 L Hallam Univ SP
2017 12 March 47 22 W Belle Vue, Wakefield
2018 23 June 40 6 W Olympic Legacy Park
2018 7 September 32 12 W Olympic Legacy Park
2019 9 June 38 18 W Olympic Legacy Park

Thanks Mark, that's excellent. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes I should have added that.

Zak H was on loan, not dual Reg. He was meant to be on loan for the 2011 but Ben Jones-Bishop got injured early in the season so Leeds cancelled the loan. 

I'm sure Featherstone didn't have a dual registered player under Daryll Powell's reign 2009-2013, but had several on loan, Hardaker, Coady, Allen, Andy Kain (before Powell), Cockayne, Davey, Massey (before Powell) Gledhill, Briggs are ones that I remember, there'll be others. 

The system of Dual Registration changed in 2013. Before then it was much less contentious and worked pretty much like the old loans system and for younger players.

Then in 2013 it became a system where Championship clubs formed a close tie with one SL club and lots of veteran SL players such as Paul Wood, Kylie Leuluai, Adrian Morley etc started playing on DR as they returned from injury. As I recall, as a club we were opposed to the new system but eventually started using it the following year once it had become well established.

1 hour ago, Andrew Vause said:

Zak H was on loan, not dual Reg. He was meant to be on loan for the 2011 but Ben Jones-Bishop got injured early in the season so Leeds cancelled the loan. 

I'm sure Featherstone didn't have a dual registered player under Daryll Powell's reign 2009-2013, but had several on loan, Hardaker, Coady, Allen, Andy Kain (before Powell), Cockayne, Davey, Massey (before Powell) Gledhill, Briggs are ones that I remember, there'll be others. 

Pretty sure he was on DR - in fact I checked and MLP seems to agree

Despite a few games on dual registration back at Rovers in 2011 it was not long before he was a first team regular at Leeds and scored a try when Leeds won the Super League Grand final at the end of 2011. 

Programmes (fevarchive.co.uk)

Edit: more confirmation here

Zak Hardaker, the 19-year-old winger Leeds share with Featherstone, is in line to make his Super League debut for the Rhinos against St Helens this evening.

The Rhinos signed Hardaker from the Championship club at the end of last season, but then immediately loaned him back under the dual registration system. He has been training with both clubs and appeared for Leeds in their pre-season friendlies.

Leeds hand debut to teenager Hardaker | The Independent | The Independent

I also seem to recall Robin (mildly 🤔) expressing his disgust on this very board when some of those you mention were revealed to be DR and not loans

32 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Pretty sure he was on DR - in fact I checked and MLP seems to agree

Despite a few games on dual registration back at Rovers in 2011 it was not long before he was a first team regular at Leeds and scored a try when Leeds won the Super League Grand final at the end of 2011. 

Programmes (fevarchive.co.uk)

Edit: more confirmation here

Zak Hardaker, the 19-year-old winger Leeds share with Featherstone, is in line to make his Super League debut for the Rhinos against St Helens this evening.

The Rhinos signed Hardaker from the Championship club at the end of last season, but then immediately loaned him back under the dual registration system. He has been training with both clubs and appeared for Leeds in their pre-season friendlies.

Leeds hand debut to teenager Hardaker | The Independent | The Independent

I also seem to recall Robin (mildly 🤔) expressing his disgust on this very board when some of those you mention were revealed to be DR and not loans

I think the "was it DR or was it a loan'" issue is  ATEOTD futile. It's been a grey area at times, some signings have obviously been of one type or other, but what does it matter? We borrowed some players from other clubs.

Due to its raging unpopularity, there was a period of time when the club under DP probably looked to distance itself from DR signings, but there is no doubt that contemporary reports described both Michael Coady and Zak Hardaker as DR arrangements.

Whatever.

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

I think the "was it DR or was it a loan'" issue is  ATEOTD futile. It's been a grey area at times, some signings have obviously been of one type or other, but what does it matter? We borrowed some players from other clubs.

Due to its raging unpopularity, there was a period of time when the club under DP probably looked to distance itself from DR signings, but there is no doubt that contemporary reports described both Michael Coady and Zak Hardaker as DR arrangements.

Whatever.

I remember when the Club went against DR in 2013(?) some fans of other clubs suggesting hypocrisy as 'we' had previously used it.

Dual registration didn't start until 2013, Zak signed for Leeds in 2011. The essential difference as I understood it was a that a loan was for a fixed period of time and could be agreed between any clubs, whereas as dual registeration was an agreement between a Super League club and its partner championship club.

In dual reg the host club had first refusal of whether or not the player played for them in the current round. 

I may be completely wrong of course and bow to the greater depth of knowledge of other forum members. 

Leeds have signed Zak Hardaker, a teenage Featherstone Rovers wing who was comfortably the hottest young prospect outside the Super League, on a five-year contract, under which he will stay at the Championship club on loan next season.

Hardaker, only 19, was the Championship's young player of the year after scoring 22 tries in 14 appearances in his first season with Rovers, and had also been strongly linked with Warrington.

But Leeds moved in quickly las

I remember daryl Powell talking to a fans forum iirc before the 2011 season. Prior to that forum we all thought Zak was on a season long loan. But at that forum I think it was little gaz that asked for clarification and then it emerged he was signed on dual reg forms. Was that the same season we had Dave Williams playing at prop on DR from London?

22 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Dual registration didn't start until 2013, Zak signed for Leeds in 2011. The essential difference as I understood it was a that a loan was for a fixed period of time and could be agreed between any clubs, whereas as dual registeration was an agreement between a Super League club and its partner championship club.

In dual reg the host club had first refusal of whether or not the player played for them in the current round. 

I may be completely wrong of course and bow to the greater depth of knowledge of other forum members. 

LTS has already posted a link which references Hardaker's time at Fev in 2011 as DR.

I'm still not sure what, if any, importance this has at all.

26 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

LTS has already posted a link which references Hardaker's time at Fev in 2011 as DR.

I'm still not sure what, if any, importance this has at all.

I think that someone mentioned that Chris Annakin was the first DR player. That then stated debate, I tell you what then I'll wind my neck in if debate is not what is required. 

Archived