Bradford back at Odsal

3 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Pitches aren’t important to RFL there’s a few undersized pitches even a few on slopes, wouldn’t be allowed in any other sport.

If you mean the RFL governing body,nothing seems important about the sport as it sleep walks,quite hurriedly,towards oblivion.

Pitch markings don't seem important.

Following on from the good thread about the union club that host Newcastle Thunder,the union and association football clubs that use the 4g that Coventry Bears use,very kindly leave their pitch markings,but fail to put in the correct rugby league pitch markings. 

If the RFL wish to boost their coffers,perhaps fining the clubs for this,and other things,may go some way to getting back the attendances.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Wonder what would happen if a Club refused to play on it.

They'd presumably forfeit the game 24-0 and probably get fined too. I agree that it isn't fit for purpose, for what it's worth.

5 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Pitches aren’t important to RFL there’s a few undersized pitches even a few on slopes, wouldn’t be allowed in any other sport.

Yeovil Town had a banging slope for years, many a giant killing on it. I think Underhill did too, and Easter Road (not sure if they’ve sorted it out or not). 

Anyone been to Harrogate Railway? Now that's a slope.

Not too worried about slopes, unusually narrow pitches etc, all part of the fun, but why bother specifying minimum pitch sizes if you aren't actually going to enforce them?

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yeovil Town had a banging slope for years, many a giant killing on it. I think Underhill did too, and Easter Road (not sure if they’ve sorted it out or not). 

Gradients are covered by the FA minimum standards. Which grounds in senior football in England require special dispensation?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Can someone explain to me the problem that caused Bradford to leave Odsal and did that issue get resolved so they could return ? 

The move was down to rent, business rates and maintenance costs. The club was unable to reach an agreement with Bradford Council and The Rugby Football League, which holds the lease on the ground.

16 hours ago, Spidey said:

They've had what, 2 months to source a contractor.  Its all BS

100% correct.  I know a contractor in Halifax who would bite their hand off for thework.

They have enough volunteers and could quite easily do it themselves.

10 hours ago, wilsontown said:

I mean one of the joys of Mount Pleasant is wondering how the teams will play the slope...

I seem to remember Halifax having a slope.

But first class rugby league should have a standard length and width.  By all means determine what that should be and enforce it. I presume Wembley fits the rules and the in goal area seemed ok.

Odsal is too narrow and too short by 'miles'.  The whole thing about Odsal and RL obsession about it is bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Odsal is too narrow and too short by 'miles'.  The whole thing about Odsal and RL obsession about it is bizarre.

They had half a million people watch a game there once, in which Bradford weren't playing.

Not sure how many times the club has Imploded since then.

1 hour ago, POR said:

The move was down to rent, business rates and maintenance costs. The club was unable to reach an agreement with Bradford Council and The Rugby Football League, which holds the lease on the ground.

Thankyou 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

59 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

100% correct.  I know a contractor in Halifax who would bite their hand off for thework.

They have enough volunteers and could quite easily do it themselves.

40 years ago the corners were on wooden pallets with turf on top - temporary, mobile. How hard would it be for a 21st century version of that? The RFL have obviously decided it's really, really hard. 

17 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

The track is oval, therefore the grass in the middle is oval. At the halfway line it looks like there is 7-8m of grass on both sides. So max width can be about 66m? A 66m squared pitch is certainly feasible. But pointless. 

Juts an FYI There needs to be a grass or equivalent run off for safety outside of the pitch dimensions. 

Also, It’s not pointless to have a pitch to at least minimum standards. Any self respecting club would want actually want a full size pitch

1 hour ago, TrueBull said:

40 years ago the corners were on wooden pallets with turf on top - temporary, mobile. How hard would it be for a 21st century version of that? The RFL have obviously decided it's really, really hard. 

This may be true.

But is the problem that back then it had a greyhound track (?) and/or a motorcycle speedway track...   I am questioning if the stock car racing track is significantly wider.   Assuming so it becomes inevitable at the remaining pitch must be shorter and narrower and so permanently unviable.

(I merely question this as I'm not sure anyone has explained what the stock car people have done to the track)

1 hour ago, TrueBull said:

i seem to remember reading that the millenium stadium/principality stadium pitch was on "pallets" so that it was really easy just to pick up parts and replace them... early on it wasnt great as it didnt nit together properly and ripped up but i think thats been fixed now.. the idea is there though so surely it could be adapted.. how cost effective that would be i have no idea. I just cant get my head around why athletics tracks can manage this at amateur level but pro teams cannot.. 

On 20/07/2021 at 15:57, The Blues Ox said:

Id imagine this was always the plan.

Same here, i reckon the Bulls and the RFL colluded to get them back early and get some brass from the place and just keep 'pretending' they were sorting it when in reality it was probably the RFL who told them to keep schtum as they weren't going to bother sorting it.

What would happen if every club decided to shorten their pitch when they played the Bulls, surely there can be no punishment now by any club not having a legal sized pitch as the RFL have said the one they happen to own is ok to break the rules.

It seems wool has been well and truly pulled over some eyes here.

Archived