Wellington Rugby League (Appleton Shield)

After some lean years, this year the Wellington Rugby League is showing some positive signs

Premier Grade Appleton Shield Competition has 11 sides participating, including a new club called TOA from Porirua area. What must be a first in about two decades a professional NRL player has returned the region to play in the Premier Competition. Former NZ Warrior, Canberra raider and Widnes Viking player Charlie Gubb is Playing for the Victoria University Hunters premier side, Hopefully Charlie Gubb is available for the Wellington Orca’s rep side to help them to get back into NZRL Premiership at the end of season.

Also this year Reserve grade has returned with 7 sides in that Competition after being cancelled last year due to Covid, there's 6 sides in Masters grade for over 35’s. This year has seen reintroduction of a 6 team Women's Mana Wahine Competition which was last run in 2016.  

There are Junior grades competitions running from under 6's to 14's and in a new Initiative the Wellington Rugby league are running community musters for 15 -18-year-olds in 4 locations in the region Wellington City, Porirua, Hutt Valley and Wainui. To  try and restart competitions for those age groups. The Wellington Muster is being run by former NZ Warrior player Charlie Gubb and going by Facebook was also attended NZ Warrior/ Hurricane/All Black Ngani Laumpae and former Cronulla player Tupou Sopoaga.

As if all this positivity was not enough Wellington Rugby League have named former Labour MP Dame Luamanuvao Winne Laban as WRL Patron, who has parliamentary experience and contacts to draw on to assist the sport in the Wellington Region.

https://www.sporty.co.nz/wellingtonleague/Home-1

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Sports-League/Wellington-Rugby-League-149807975039915/

3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

As if all this positivity was not enough Wellington Rugby League have named former Labour MP Dame Luamanuvao Winne Laban as WRL Patron, who has parliamentary experience and contacts to draw on to assist the sport in the Wellington Region.

Any chance Dame Winnie might campaign for Rugby League to get a fair go in the schools?

I think Ken Laban is her brother. Because he does League and Union media, it`s hard to say how committed to RL he is nowadays. There is that picture of him leading Wainui out at Carlaw Park with Piri Weepu as ballboy.

His son Hanan is CEO at Wynnum-Manly. After a nasty incident at a junior game recently made Aussie TV news, I was checking some details and noticed a picture of Hanan in a kilt. Which took me to a profile on the website of Scots College Wellington. The terminology in this piece was curious in that it repeatedly referred to RL as Rugby. I`m used to that in the UK, but normally in NZ a distinction is made between "League" and "Rugby".

Wellington already has Rugby League in Schools with a decent amount of schools participating, the competition is held after the rugby union season and after the NZRL has held the NZ Secondary Schools Tournament. 

https://collegesport.org.nz/rugby-league/

Winnie Laban is the sister of the Wanui rugby league player & current Rugby Union Commentator you mentioned and I believe another family member Jacob Laban has recently been signed by the NZ Warriors.

https://nzrl.co.nz/warriors-sign-nzrl-20s-mvp-zyon-maiuu-and-nz16s-rep-jacob-laban/

On 30/05/2021 at 20:16, rlno1 said:

What is the status of Upper Hutt Tigers?

The Upper Hutt Tigers don't currently have any adult sides but I think they have a couple of youth sides.

I checked the Victoria University Hunters Vs Petone Panthers last weekend, was a close game in the 1st half with leading going back and forth between Hunters and Petone. In the Second Half the Hunters ran away with it winning 60 - 30.

• 1 month later...

In Wellington Premier Grade Semi Finals :
Wainui v Toa 2:30pm at Wise Park, Wainuiomata.
Te Aroha v Vikings 2:30pm at Te Whiti Park, Waiwhetu, Lower Hutt.

St George and Whiti Te Rā have this week off.

Next weeks games:
The winner of Wainui v Toa will play St George next week 17 July in major semi final 1.
The winner of TA v Vikings will play Whiti Te Rā next week 17 July in major semi final 2.

Appleton Shield Grand Final will be held on Saturday 24 July.

The reserve grade grand final is this weekend, St George v Wainui 1pm at Cannons Creek, Porirua.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what is happening with the Grand Final this year, it was due to be played this week but due to extremely bad weather last weekend, games were cancelled... Wellington Rugby League website has nothing to offer and WRL facebook page seems to dedicated to promoting everything but the Premier Men Competition....

• 4 weeks later...

Been waiting for a Kiwi to post this result. 

Wellington GF a few weeks ago - Whiti Te Ra 16 St.George 6.

Then last weekend the Canterbury GF - Hornby 22 Linwood 16.

And the Waikato GF - Turangawaewae 24 Taniwharau 20.

The Waikato final is well worth checking out on Radio Tainui`s YouTube channel. The fans in Huntly/Ngaruawahia are some of the most enthusiastic anywhere.

Everything comes to a halt with the announcement NZ will enter a 3 day national lockdown from Wednesday after a single new Covid case was discovered in Auckland. One can only hope this won`t be extended and affect the conclusion of the Auckland Premiership and the rep season.

Various posts edited or removed.

Points or arguments about the various differing governmental Covid lockdown/vaccine policies around the world belong in the political sub forum, not in the RL sections.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Various posts edited or removed.

Points or arguments about the various differing governmental Covid lockdown/vaccine policies around the world belong in the political sub forum, not in the RL sections.

Thanks.

It`s funny John, when I see your name in the latest response column I know it means trouble. You didn`t disappoint.

I can only speak for myself, but I think in this case I can probably speak for the @unapologetic pedant  as well, the posts you deleted were more about the funny ( I thought they were) emoji responses rather than the actual subject of the posts, well certainly for me any way.🥸

35 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s funny John, when I see your name in the latest response column I know it means trouble. You didn`t disappoint.

I can only speak for myself, but I think in this case I can probably speak for the @unapologetic pedant  as well, the posts you deleted were more about the funny ( I thought they were) emoji responses rather than the actual subject of the posts, well certainly for me any way.🥸

The policy of TRL moderators in the RL section is highly redolent of certain people`s policies to a certain something in certain parts of the world. :kolobok_nono:

Which is often awkward. For instance, I would find it impossible to adequately explain why the RLWC was postponed, if subject to "zero politics" restrictions. Or why all RL activity is now suspended in NZ. 🙊

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The policy of TRL moderators in the RL section is highly redolent of certain people`s policies to a certain something in certain parts of the world. :kolobok_nono:

Which is often awkward. For instance, I would find it impossible to adequately explain why the RLWC was postponed, if subject to "zero politics" restrictions. Or why all RL activity is now suspended in NZ. 🙊

It isn't difficult at all. In fact, we've been managing on TRL to talk about Rugby League and Covid quite normally since March last year.

The rule we apply is this: if you want to discuss governmental Covid lockdown or vaccine policies then this should be done in the politics sun forum, because those are quite clearly political matters decided by politicians, and lots of other people have incredibly strong opinions on such matters that would end up poisoning every thread and turning TRL into the kind of sewer that vast swathes of social media resembles these days.

The only comments removed from this thread were pertaining specifically to political decisions and politicians, not RL related matters.

The impact of Covid on RL in general has been , and still is being discussed in RL threads on TRL. In fact, we managed a thread on the postponement of the World Cup that ran into many dozens of pages without people getting on their political soap boxes. Had we allowed them to, it would probably have been locked after two or three or descended into a massive slanging match.

If you don't like the way we have handled the Covid situation on TRL, separating the sport from the politics, that's tough, because it has worked well and it isn't going to change.

Archived