Leigh

Leigh fans - were you pleased that the Centurians were chosen for the 12th SL spot, and if so with hindsight would you have preferred that they hadn’t been? I was hoping you’d stay up but it’s not looking good. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Leigh fans - were you pleased that the Centurians were chosen for the 12th SL spot, and if so with hindsight would you have preferred that they hadn’t been? I was hoping you’d stay up but it’s not looking good. 

I think fans of other clubs are delighted Leigh were gifted a Super League place, therefore guaranteeing most clubs 4 points and not much fear of getting in a relegation battle for the poorer sides in Super League

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

I think fans of other clubs are delighted Leigh were gifted a Super League place, therefore guaranteeing most clubs 4 points and not much fear of getting in a relegation battle for the poorer sides in Super League

I can’t see anyone other than Wakey or Salford troubling Leigh in the wooden spoon race, but yeah agreed their fans must be relieved. The half funding issue is farcical. 

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

Can't see Leigh winning a game this year.  They'll be hoping to retain a number of players to build for a promotion push next year I'm sure. They also avoid a season in the Championship trying finish above Toulouse and Fev. 

Their better players will get snapped up by Super League clubs for nothing as i think I'm right in saying Dexy only has them on 1 year contracts

5 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Can't see Leigh winning a game this year.  They'll be hoping to retain a number of players to build for a promotion push next year I'm sure. They also avoid a season in the Championship trying finish above Toulouse and Fev. 

They will turn a couple of sides over I'm sure. I'd be shocked if they don't get relegated though. I bet fans of the other bottom clubs are relieved that Toulouse didn't get the spot. If they had it could have been a really interesting relegation battle.

1 minute ago, MZH said:

They will turn a couple of sides over I'm sure. I'd be shocked if they don't get relegated though. I bet fans of the other bottom clubs are relieved that Toulouse didn't get the spot. If they had it could have been a really interesting relegation battle.

They haven't played badly at all but they are well short of the quality needed. Might get worse for them as the season goes on 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Never ever wanted it as I said so many times on these pages before the decision to put Leigh in was delivered, there has never been a more inappropriate slogan than the club put forward as "SUPERLEAGUE READY" we were clearly not ready  then and not much as been done to improve that situation.

I honestly think it will do the club more harm than good in the long run, especially coupled with increasing the ticket prices by <25%, not many are going to go to who have not already paid via their season tickets to watch a team getting bashed about both on the field and scoreboard, many will most probably have got out of the habit come next season as they will not have been for a couple of years, I only hope that the board are realising what result of their actions of putting so much effort into getting the SL spot could result in, in my humble opinion this season competing for the Championship would have kept the momentum and fans interest much better than losing every week.

20 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

We didn't need to avoid the Championship Mr C, we would have been challenging for it.

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Given the handicap the club was given I doubt any Leigh fan would have been happy and they certainly won’t be surprised at the ongoing on field struggles.

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Given the handicap the club was given I doubt any Leigh fan would have been happy and they certainly won’t be surprised at the ongoing on field struggles.

If the handicap you refer to Dav was the reduced funding, then all the clubs who put in an application knew that would be the case but still pressed on with it my simple question is WHY? SL needed the 12th club more than in my opinion any club under those circumstances needed to be in SL, they should have grouped together prior to the decision to made and demanded funding parity or no thanks - shove it.

I don't think on the pitch were the best team to go up this year, they were behind Toulouse and Featherstone in the playing roster.

I would also say the same about the coaching staff too. 

However, they did have the cheque book of DB - which helped swing things. 

I genuinely think Leigh will get better as the season goes on, as they like the Championship squads hadn't played in a year. Which makes it even harder for this year. 

Good luck to them - I hope they stay up. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If the handicap you refer to Dav was the reduced funding, then all the clubs who put in an application knew that would be the case but still pressed on with it my simple question is WHY? SL needed the 12th club more than in my opinion any club under those circumstances needed to be in SL, they should have grouped together prior to the decision to made and demanded funding parity or no thanks - shove it.

Yes, I did think that at the time. Who was helping who? Why didn't the prospective clubs join forces and say no one will apply under these circumstances - especially when it could be a covid hit season. Called SL's bluff.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Let's hope by then Leeds have got troops back to sort out the middles, aggressive D and go forward, and cut out those dumb plays. 

If there is one club I would love to beat it is Leeds even moreso than Wigan and that is a rarity for a Leigh fan, it is a desire I have had since the mid sixties borne out of a personal expierence at Headingly.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

If there is one club I would love to beat it is Leeds even moreso than Wigan and that is a rarity for a Leigh fan, it is a desire I have had since the mid sixties borne out of a personal expierence at Headingly.

They are there to be beaten for sure. My post was straight out of the Agar coaching manual 😄 The guy is clueless. 

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed, I found it baffling at the time that anyone would have gone for it. Iirc only Halifax pulled out after that announcement. 

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes, I did think that at the time. Who was helping who? Why didn't the prospective clubs join forces and say no one will apply under these circumstances - especially when it could be a covid hit season. Called SL's bluff.

I think that not having the foresight to do as we suggested should have been done, those Championship Chairmen/Owners working together would struggle to pass the 11+. Leneghan and co must have been on their backs like the Cadburys Smash advertisement.

Wasn't particularly thrilled at being selected at the time, and the only reason I can think of for teams applying was the uncertainty at the time over whether the Championship season would be completed to allow for P&R. 

I wanted Toulouse to get the spot.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think that not having the foresight to do as we suggested should have been done, those Championship Chairmen/Owners working together would struggle to pass the 11+. Leneghan and co must have been on their backs like the Cadburys Smash advertisement.

Even a 1 year pass on relegation if they didn't want to come up with the cash. It will be interesting to see if they come up with the same stunt for the next promoted club in the Championship? Survival by austerity. 

Archived