Leigh

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I didn't realise we have the cream of the NRL waiting for Derecks call 

I see you have no comment on Derek's (possibly )misguided determination to reach the 12th spot.Or is it easier and preferable to blame others.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

How the hell should I know,Ask Derek,you seem to think hes the best thing since sliced bread.I would have thought he'd learnt his lesson after Cunningham and Jukes.

You mean I know him personally ? , Yes , and I am grateful for his personal investment into the club over several years ? , Yes , has he made mistakes ? , Yes , several IMO 

Do I like him ? , Yes , he's an interesting person 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You mean I know him personally ? , Yes , and I am grateful for his personal investment into the club over several years ? , Yes , has he made mistakes ? , Yes , several IMO 

So do you think he's learnt his lesson or not?

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well yes, three protected teams finish in 10th, 11th and 12th, so 9th goes down. Not an unlikely scenario actually. 

As I said only if they finish bottom but with 3 relegated clubs thats a lot of talent to pick off from the championship

If Leigh hadn't taken 12th spot then this thread would still exist but it would be about "whoever".

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I see you have no comment on Derek's (possibly )misguided determination to reach the 12th spot.Or is it easier and preferable to blame others.

I've commented on this thread , and on the other game threads this year , I like others knew it was virtually an impossible task to avoid the bottom , unlike plenty of our fans I don't believe in having a go at somebody just because they probably just aren't good enough , they are certainly trying their best IMO , unfortunately Effort isn't usually good enough on its own 

3 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

So do you think he's learnt his lesson or not?

I'd hoped he'd learnt his lesson the first time round , I told him not to get involved again , did he listen to me ? , No 

But I suggest that isn't what you mean , so what lesson are you reffering to ?

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

If Leigh hadn't taken 12th spot then this thread would still exist but it would be about "whoever".

Bloody hell , agreeing with you again , what's the world coming to ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd hoped he'd learnt his lesson the first time round , I told him not to get involved again , did he listen to me ? , No 

But I suggest that isn't what you mean , so what lesson are you reffering to ?

His selection of coaches

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Any "promoted" club should in my opinion be protected from relegation fof three seasons. In my view, it's about more than spending to the cap. Teams have to get used to playing against faster, fitter and unarguably better teams and that does not happen overnight.

Am I missing something.

A team is promoted and cannot get relegated even when it finishes bottom.  The following season a different club gets promoted  ... and so on.  This means ... I think ... at up to 3 clubs including up to 9th would quite undeservedly get relegated.

The simple solution is arrive at x nr of teams and abolish relegation, as with in Australia and their minor leagues.

As i said on the match thread previously their squad is basically journeymen players who wouldn't have got a super league team if Leigh weren't given a spot, i can't think of 1 Leigh player on show yesterday who would get a start at any other Super League team and most of them looked like they were just happy to be playing in Super league and picking up a wage with no pressure or enthusiasm to do much else and what is it with Leigh resigning players who have been there and failed there before?.

I can't help but think that Leigh are basically back in Super League because Derek 'paid' to get them there so he can have another tick on his ego rather than cos he wants his club to compete and be successful. He seems to only care about being in charge of a Super League Leigh rather than the club and it's future as a whole, but i'm only an outsider looking in and have no idea of what happens in the boardroom or anything else at Leigh.

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

As i said on the match thread previously their squad is basically journeymen players who wouldn't have got a super league team if Leigh weren't given a spot, i can't think of 1 Leigh player on show yesterday who would get a start at any other Super League team and most of them looked like they were just happy to be playing in Super league and picking up a wage with no pressure or enthusiasm to do much else and what is it with Leigh resigning players who have been there and failed there before?.

I can't help but think that Leigh are basically back in Super League because Derek 'paid' to get them there so he can have another tick on his ego rather than cos he wants his club to compete and be successful. He seems to only care about being in charge of a Super League Leigh rather than the club and it's future as a whole, but i'm only an outsider looking in and have no idea of what happens in the boardroom or anything else at Leigh.

So IYO we didn't try yesterday ?

The bulk of the team you saw yesterday was recruited to compete in the Championship , or are you suggesting we should have paid them all off and brought another 30 players in from where exactly ?

Yes Dereck wants Leigh in SL , much the same as every owner in SL , maybe Mr Davy should dump the giants and take over at Dewsbury and make them more competitive in the Championship ? 

So you don't know Dereck , haven't ever met or spoken to him , but you summise to know what he thinks , tell me , do you know what goes on in the boardroom at Huddersfield ? , Leeds maybe ? , CAS ? 

I doubt you ever will get anywhere near a boardroom 

HTH 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Never met him however I am sure if I did I would like him how can you not like someone who has invested so much of his personal money into a club?

Leigh were on a hiding to nothing before a ball was kicked. The best they could hope for is that one of HKR, Salford or Wakefield had a devastating season with injuries so that they could scramble a few points more than one of those three. Possibly it might have been different had Toulouse got the nod, but COVID put paid to that and none of the rest of the prospective applicants would have done any better. Leigh had insufficient time to get a SL squad together and that’s the big issue, as has been stated before the promoted team is always up against it time wise when it comes to recruitment, plus if existing SL clubs are already targeting your best players (see Fev with Harrison) then it’s no surprise that this scenario happens. I don’t like franchising and a closed shop, but something needs to be done, perhaps the 1 year exemption from relegation is the answer.

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Never met him however I am sure if I did I would like him how can you not like someone who has invested so much of his personal money into a club?

As I said , he's interesting , mad as a box of frogs 😁 , but definatley interesting , driven , optimistic and very confident , and not afraid to put his money where his mouth is , which is part of the reason I told him not to get involved again , should have known he'd ignore me 😉

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I said , he's interesting , mad as a box of frogs 😁 , but definatley interesting , driven , optimistic and very confident , and not afraid to put his money where his mouth is 

Doesn’t RL need a few more people like this, instead we ridicule and criticize then wonder why we struggle to attract investors. For what it’s worth I’m still hoping Leigh can scramble together enough wins to survive.

Big game for Leigh this week to make amends against a HKR side very hot and cold. 

I had them as a banker to beat Wakefield off scratch and they got pumped. Little do I know. 

Leigh do though seem to have conditioning issues. Not many points scored in the 2nd half of games and running in treacle. We won’t win SL games playing one man Rugby, therefore sides like Huddersfield who are patient and grind you down will do the damage at the latter end. 

Duffy needs to look over his Shoulder as the expansive style from the first 40 v Wigan in the first game has disappeared. Next weeks result will determine whether he should be coaching in this league or not. Another thumping must surely send alarm bells ringing. 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So IYO we didn't try yesterday ?

The bulk of the team you saw yesterday was recruited to compete in the Championship , or are you suggesting we should have paid them all off and brought another 30 players in from where exactly ?

Yes Dereck wants Leigh in SL , much the same as every owner in SL , maybe Mr Davy should dump the giants and take over at Dewsbury and make them more competitive in the Championship ? 

So you don't know Dereck , haven't ever met or spoken to him , but you summise to know what he thinks , tell me , do you know what goes on in the boardroom at Huddersfield ? , Leeds maybe ? , CAS ? 

I doubt you ever will get anywhere near a boardroom 

HTH 

I've a rough idea on Huddersfield yes and as for yesterday maybe they did for 15-20 minutes but when the Giants started getting the upper hand most of them didn't seem to give a ###### judging by their body language when and after conceding.

As for Derek as i said i don't know him i'm offering an opinion as an RL fan on a RL forum , don't be so confrontational, go and have a chill out, pretty sure you'll have a lovely sundeck to do so on

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I've a rough idea on Huddersfield yes and as for yesterday maybe they did for 15-20 minutes but when the Giants started getting the upper hand most of them didn't seem to give a ###### judging by their body language when and after conceding.

As for Derek as i said i don't know him i'm offering an opinion as an RL fan on a RL forum , don't be so confrontational, go and have a chill out, pretty sure you'll have a lovely sundeck to do so on

Cutting the grass usually helps

So the teqm plucked out of mid table obscurity is struggling in SL whilst the top 2 from last year is the top 2 again in the same order but tgis time the top team is beating everyone by 60-70 points per week away from home!

So this is clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up whilst we would have had an exciting championship season that Fev probably would have edged..

All in all we are now seeing a forgone conclusion of Leigh being relegated whilst the SL clubs think up a stratagy to keep toulouse down yet again

3 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Big game for Leigh this week to make amends against a HKR side very hot and cold. 

I had them as a banker to beat Wakefield off scratch and they got pumped. Little do I know. 

Leigh do though seem to have conditioning issues. Not many points scored in the 2nd half of games and running in treacle. We won’t win SL games playing one man Rugby, therefore sides like Huddersfield who are patient and grind you down will do the damage at the latter end. 

Duffy needs to look over his Shoulder as the expansive style from the first 40 v Wigan in the first game has disappeared. Next weeks result will determine whether he should be coaching in this league or not. Another thumping must surely send alarm bells ringing. 

Personally I cannot see us winning playing % RL , we have to just chance our arm and go for it , defeats by one or forty don't matter , a win by one does 

17 minutes ago, daz39 said:

There were still only 10 points in the game with 25 to play, the problem is every time we get 1 player back from injury we seem to lose 2 more. We started yesterday with only 2 recognised props and were holding our own whilst they were on the pitch, as soon as the interchanges started we had Tyrone McCarthy and Peteru at prop and the team were having to exert themselves extra hard to make any dent in a big Huddersfield pack. We lost Peteru to a head test, Sidlow came back on and almost immediately did his knee and then Russell got injured(possibly another head knock but couldn't tell) meaning we were down to 1 on the bench with about 30 minutes left. At one point Junior S'au was basically playing prop. All that coupled with increasing indiscipline due to fatigue and Hudd grinding us down with repeat sets meant we defended for much of the 2nd half. It didn't surprise me one bit the flood gates opened in those last 15 mins or so, even if it was really disappointing to watch.

I dread to think who is going to be available in the forwards for Hull KR because our pack has just been decimated over the past 3/4 games. 

20 minutes ago, yipyee said:

So the teqm plucked out of mid table obscurity is struggling in SL whilst the top 2 from last year is the top 2 again in the same order but tgis time the top team is beating everyone by 60-70 points per week away from home!

So this is clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up whilst we would have had an exciting championship season that Fev probably would have edged..

All in all we are now seeing a forgone conclusion of Leigh being relegated whilst the SL clubs think up a stratagy to keep toulouse down yet again

So you think Toulouse would be winning games in SL ?

How do you reconsile this Leigh team being ' mid table obscure ' ?

Archived