Leigh

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Leigh are trying hard but they are clearly not SL ready on the pitch

Obviously as we were recruiting to play a season in the championship 

Stating the blindingly obvious comes to mind , I fully expect Toulouse or Fev would have been in exactly the same position , and so do you , but you certainly wouldn't admit it 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously as we were recruiting to play a season in the championship 

Stating the blindingly obvious comes to mind , I fully expect Toulouse or Fev would have been in exactly the same position , and so do you , but you certainly wouldn't admit it 

Toulouse would be winning or at worst competing. 

Toulouse signed 2 GF winners, why didnt Leigh snap both up? Might have kept the scores respectable?

Toulouse signed 2 GF winners, why didnt Leigh snap both up? Might have kept the scores respectable?

Money, just a thought.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

So which 2020 GF winners did they sign ?

Just now, yipyee said:

Then the wrong team is in SL??

Based on what logic.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So which 2020 GF winners did they sign ?

I assume he means Peyroux and Paulo, from Saints, but both had already signed for Toulouse ahead of the decision to promote Leigh(which also answers his question as to why we didn't sign them). Incidentally, Flower, Tierney, Gelling, Thornley in the Leigh squad won grand finals, whilst McCarthy and Russell have played in grand finals.

Don't know what the obsession is with Fev or Toulouse to be honest, both sides would be 0-7 and facing an uphill struggle as the season went on. Who knows what would have happened if Leigh had pipped Wigan in that very entertaining opener.

As already mentioned, that expansive Rugby has disappeared, and with that, the shape, the structure and so has the confidence. Possession Rugby is key, but even with 6 tackles, you only have the ball for 50 measly seconds !

SL is MILES faster than the Championship and playing it week in and week out is catching up. Toulouse can sign as many GF winners as they want, they may as well be Wally Lewis signing for them in his 60's !

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I assume he means Peyroux and Paulo, from Saints, but both had already signed for Toulouse ahead of the decision to promote Leigh(which also answers his question as to why we didn't sign them). Incidentally, Flower, Tierney, Gelling, Thornley in the Leigh squad won grand finals, whilst McCarthy and Russell have played in grand finals.

Rob , Rob , Rob , you've jumped the gun 😁 , I was waiting for him to come back 😉

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

So the teqm plucked out of mid table obscurity is struggling in SL whilst the top 2 from last year is the top 2 again in the same order but tgis time the top team is beating everyone by 60-70 points per week away from home!

So this is clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up whilst we would have had an exciting championship season that Fev probably would have edged..

All in all we are now seeing a forgone conclusion of Leigh being relegated whilst the SL clubs think up a stratagy to keep toulouse down yet again

Toulouse would have been in the same situation as Leigh, the team they had assembled for the Championship would not be good enough to compete in SL.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Toulouse would have been in the same situation as Leigh, the team they had assembled for the Championship would not be good enough to compete in SL.

Harry , he knows , just being his usual ' superior ' self 

Last season we played Hull KR away in the challenge cup, we were playing well in the early weeks of the championship and confidence was high. I don't think Rovers rested any players, but we only lost in the dying seconds. On Sunday we have very little  chance of winning.....in my opinion.

Just now, clogdance said:

Last season we played Hull KR away in the challenge cup, we were playing well in the early weeks of the championship and confidence was high. I don't think Rovers rested any players, but we only lost in the dying seconds. On Sunday we have very little  chance of winning.....in my opinion.

Confidence is everything in sport 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

SL need 12 teams so all potential SL clubs should show solidarity and refuse to enter unless all sides are treated equally. 

Won't happen because all the teams have different agendas, some want to win the comp, some just want to contain the funding and maintain the funding and others know that they will always be around the middle.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Toulouse would probably be doing even worse to be honest. A quick look through their squad and 14 of them are over 30 years old, including most of their pack which contains a 35 year old Harrison Hansen and 36 year old Remi Casty. Andrew Dixon at 31 is actually one of their younger pack members. Fine for breezing past most of the championship, but they would be seriously struggling in SL, especially one without scrums which is easily the fastest it's been in a long time.

If Toulouse do finally make the jump this year, they are going to be faced with a pretty monumental overhaul of their squad and would be needing at least 10-15 new players. Even Kheirallah and Ford who have been the engine room of the squad for years now both turn 32 next year. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

But you weren't , do you honestly think Mr Argyle was/is interested in running a Championship RL club ? , How many of the current SL club owners do you think would continue funding their clubs if they weren't allowed into SL ?

We all I know I wasn’t the one making the decision and that’s why I included that proviso. You could have graciously bypassed that and still made your point. 

I didn’t say Toronto should have had no interest in entering SL, just that on those terms it was unacceptable. He may have ended up with better terms had he stood his ground. If not, at another time the terms would have been acceptable. Who said anything about clubs not being allowed into SL? Only you. If you haven’t the time to think before writing, maybe you're posting too hastily. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

14 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would you only then have promotion and relegation once every 3 years, otherwise you are swoping 3 championship teams for 3 SL teams by the time the first promoted club is then available to be relegated.

Fortunately for all concerned, I have no influence or power in the game. My  point really is that ANY promoted team needs some sort of protection when given approval to cross the treacherous swamp that lies between the Championship and Super League. 

Tbf, the criticism of Leigh's recruitment is, on the surface at least, valid.

According to York's Jon Flatman, Leigh's suggestion that they would provide the most competitive addition to Super League was the primary reason they were chosen over the likes of his club. Such was the importance placed on this factor by the selection panel he said something along the lines of "I don't know why we bothered with anything else!". The comments were on a 5 Live RL podcast earlier this year for reference.

That on the surface suggests one of 2 things. Firstly that Leigh's claim of being able to be the most competitive was untrue, or alternatively that they were the most competitive and nobody could have done better. Both are subjective and ultimately only the panel that decided upon them could make an equivalent judgement in hindsight. [Worth adding here that we are not privy to what was promised either in terms of recruitment, and whether those expectations have not been met].

Fwiw I've thought since the moment Mr Beaumont suggested Leigh would take no money from Super League they could end up in this hole. It was a spectacularly stupid claim to make at the time so in fairness well done to him for persuading them to give Leigh even the appallingly low £1million now. 

Saying you "want the most competitive team" is afterall exactly what you would say if you wanted to pretend it wasn't about who would take the least money.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We ain't in Australia we are in GB, our sporting ethos is reward and failure in most sports and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I thought you liked cricket Harry!

Archived