Widnes - Game 7

jroyales

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I not one to look on the downside but this performance if you can call it that is simply pathetic, we defend and attack as individuals there is no structure in either department , things need to change fast or we won't win again this season

totally devoid of ideas on attack,passing of the ball way to slow

abrams out of his depth/charnock gives nothing on attack/hewitt way to slow.

these positions which   are the main ones on the field need attending to right away,otherwise we will be relegated

. if we cant sign any players then move gregory to scrum half langtree to standoff and brierley to full back at least they will make good yardage. but for gods  do something before its to late.

if diskin cant sort this halve back problem out rapido i will doubt his ability to coach, perhaps what the batley supporters said about is ability as a coach was correct.

so mr diskin THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT     

Absolutely awful performance. Widnes are a decent team with a very good spine but we didn't even lay a glove on them. Craven was superb for them as was Smith playing at loose forward.

For ourselves we were dreadful. Potentially the worst half back performance I've seen in an Oldham shirt from Hewitt hiding all second half when we had plenty of ball. Charnock was somehow just as bad with absolutely horrendous distribution meant we didn't even make a chance all half.  Abram just isn't up to this standard unfortunately at full back. Need Barran back ASAP at scrum half, Green to play full back and then a new stand off. Gregory to start at hooker and only subbed off when he's knackered. 

The likes of Nelmes and Bridge have been shocking as well. Hoping Joy and Spencer are fit for the next game and I'd be dropping the other two.

Feel sorry for the likes of Langtree and Reilly. Played great again but let down by nearly everyone around them. Kirk tried hard again and was steady.

Serious questions now around Diskin. Defence has been poor pretty much since he came to the club and our attack gets worse the more we play.

9 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

Need Barran back ASAP at scrum half, Green to play full back and then a new stand off. Gregory to start at hooker and only subbed off when he's knackered. 

Agree with he return of Green ASAP - was he the scapegoat for the recent defeats? Charnck & Hewitt are sadly lacking. Every team we play the half backs move the team around the field, mark the moves etc. We never see this from ours. Muy thoughts were since our most skilful player is Maryn Reilly, I would move home to Stand-Off until we can get one and either Barran (reparably) or Dec Gregory at Scrum Half

We haven't got much to lose as if we carry this on we will be down.

With regards Diskin, I suspect we should have listened to the Batley fans. The brand of rugby we are playing is simply awful. No organisation, no speed, poor on defence and one up drives!

Got to agree with everyone’s comments, albeit Widnes are a full time pro outfit so some sort of allowance should be given, and their kicking game was really good, they had 3 different players kicking and everyone of them inflicted some damage to us, on a different day those 3, 40/20’s may have not come off although they did end up scoring from each of them. 
As for today’s showing from us, it’s obvious we can’t compete with them down the middle, too big, strong and fast for us, what I can’t understand is why, after the great run from Gregory which led to a try, we didn’t adopt more individual off the cuff play, at least you go down doing something different that they’re not expecting, trying to batter our way down the middle got us nowhere and played right into their hands. By the way our kicking game is so predictable. 
We look at best an average League 1 team

As I’ve said on numerous occasions it’s a mirror image of the last time we were in the Championship. 

We’ve lost one game we should’ve won in Whitehaven. We (arguably) won one we should’ve lost in Halifax. Let’s not lose hope just yet. The next 3 games will tell us a lot more.

Personally I think Abram is struggling at this level and the coach tried to fix this with the St Helen’s loanee who got banned. We need more organisation from our 6&7 and I agree this needs a rethink from Disko- perhaps a fit Barran 

most importantly we need to start strong against sheffield and show some composure. 

Come on now chaps, let's not fall out amongst ourselves, the season is but young. Plenty of time to turn things around, nothing a win (however distant that seems just now) won't put right. And we are still above Newcastle & 4 points ahead of Swinton (or whatever the % equivalent is).

Come on Oldham! Give us a T! (I laughed when I heard this)!!

2 hours ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

And we are still above Newcastle & 4 points ahead of Swinton (or whatever the % equivalent is).

We're next to bottom now because of the Win% and Points Diff %.

I said elsewhere that we'd need a result against York or Widnes or we'd drop into the bottom 2.  Well, sadly, that's exactly what's happened. 

The club really shot themselves in the foot, first live match, brilliant day, lots of sunshine and unable to get a drink OF ANYTHING!! The stewards closing areas off even at the end of the game forcing spectators to go right around the ground to get out. A public service disaster.

What really worried me about the game was the attendance. The first game back with spectators, take away the Widnes support I would reckon we had about 200 Oldhamers.

I am not sure that Widnes are full time pros but what a luxury being able to play Matty Smith at loose forward!

We haven' got anyone on our books with the skill to change things and sadly the blame has to be at Diskin's door because he signed most of these players.

Next home game £4.50, instead of the £19, and a pint at home. The beauty being I can turn it off.

Archived