Sat 29 - Sun 30 May: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

Can anyone please tell me what the crowd figure was at Coventry? Thanks

232. Not great to be honest, theres been a big decline in attendances for our two games this year so far. There's a few factors affecting it.

-Firstly no food or drink in the ground

-It's all ticket and while the hardcore fans are still coming the usual fairly big walk up crowd havent come yet

- the ground is restricted to only half of the main stand so not fully open 

- people habits have changed, that will hopefully change 

There's definitely some work to do to get fans coming back. These games haven't been promoted as much, mainly due to restrictions in place and while we've never had massive crowds there's normally an average 500 or so. A few more results like today and some promotion ahead of games and we'll see a lot more interest 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spanishknight said:

I'm surprised Hunslet are having a poor season, I know it's early days yet

Terrible coach and a poor squad. Amazed Thornton has lasted this long. Coventry and North Wales have overtaken Hunslet as contenders

15 hours ago, mickmike wilson said:

Barrow still hold a 100% record so we are a good side & great att for L1 at Barrow today just shy of 2K 

Off the field Barrow are working hard on getting more supporters & growing the game locally.

Just built a FanZone to host summer events like the Footy Euros & suchlike.

Very impressed with the setup yesterday, the fan zone is a great idea, and if you're going to have a pitch invasion at the end of the game, do it in stile.......with picnic tables.😎

Not the kind of result we were wanting obviously, but Barrow are a very good side. At least Rob Massam reached his milestone of 500 points. There's an honest reaction from head coach Anthony Murray on the club's twitter.

Finally, just want to say thank you to the directors and staff at Barrow for allowing us to attend the game, and above all the Barrow fans for making us feel so welcome. We can only attend games when we play in England at the moment, so despite the score, it meant a lot to be there yesterday.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

15 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Another nasty day at the office for the Cru, albeit against most people's favourites to finish as champions. Just hope that we can beat Coventry at home next week. Anyone know if there's any sign of the Welsh 'government' actually allowing us to go to a game?

I think the earliest we are going to hear anything about attending home games will be next Monday, which is too late for the Coventry game (and a personal blow for me, as I have been off work for the first three home games of the season). Fingers are crossed at the club for the Doncaster game on 13th June, but don't hold your breath with this ultra-cautious government of ours.

I was hearing a little bit more about the move yesterday. The RFL have blocked us from playing at Queensway because it is not covid compliant, which is fair enough (I actually think they've done us a favour). Also heard the rent had been increased at Queensway, which is a bit of a cheek, since we have to do all the preparation of the ground ourselves on match days, and the only "hospitality" available for visiting directors is a portacabin belonging to the athletics club. Like several other fans, I have come to the conclusion that we are just not wanted in Wrexham.

The welcome in Colwyn Bay on the other hand, has been quite overwhelming, with local businesses already showing their support. The club have linked up with a local pub, The Park, which is on the route from the railway station to the stadium, and is already used as the base for the union club (effectively our new "clubhouse").

At the stadium itself, all the set up and stewarding will be done for us, and not by us, and they are allowing us to sell our own beer! It's just so frustrating not knowing when we can take advantage of it.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

On 26/05/2021 at 22:10, OriginalMrC said:

Skolars, Barrow, Bears 🐻, Keighley, Workington 

On 27/05/2021 at 12:10, Johnny Ringo said:

Same as above except for maybe the last one. Donny have been getting better each game after a stuttering start and could hit some form soon. 

On 28/05/2021 at 23:32, Mr Frisky said:

Fancy a close game until half time then Town pull away by 3 clear trys.

wow what odds would I have got for that full house? 

Archived