Sat 29 - Sun 30 May: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

30 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

looking like a bad day for Cru....question is, are Barra that good or are we being that bad today?? 😞

Barrow still hold a 100% record so we are a good side & great att for L1 at Barrow today just shy of 2K 

Off the field Barrow are working hard on getting more supporters & growing the game locally.

Just built a FanZone to host summer events like the Footy Euros & suchlike.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Barrow aren't invincible

Sure they might lose a few along the way but I'm pretty confident they'll be top come the end of the season. If I'm proven wrong so be it. If I'm proven wrong by my own team I'll be delighted

2 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Sure they might lose a few along the way but I'm pretty confident they'll be top come the end of the season. If I'm proven wrong so be it. If I'm proven wrong by my own team I'll be delighted

I reckon we'll give them a game.

6 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Another thing. You lose a few you won't finish top. 18 league games. No side with ambitions of finishing top can lose more than 2. We blew it in our first game.

Results

Workington 24:26 Doncaster
Barrow 44:8 Crusaders
Coventry 38:30 Rochdale
Keighley 40:0 Hunslet

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bears were superb today and I'll be buzzing all week.

Rochdale led for most of the game but we always looked like we could turn it around. 

Richard Squires deserves full credit for picking them up after the Skolars game and making sure we were strong for 80 minutes. 

16 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Another nasty day at the office for the Cru, albeit against most people's favourites to finish as champions. Just hope that we can beat Coventry at home next week. Anyone know if there's any sign of the Welsh 'government' actually allowing us to go to a game?

Really? Still no fans?

Have just worked out the train times.

21 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Wish I'd not said owt. Our rail industry used to be pretty impressive (Mallard, Scotsman etc). Back to rugby. I don't know if Barrow will be beat but I will say that if they lose 3 they won't finish top. 

Barrow are justifiable favourites Rob for the title at this time. Our trip to Barrow will be daunting but hope prevails and good luck to them if they get promotion.  The Championship is a whole different ball game.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

34 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Barrow are justifiable favourites Rob for the title at this time. Our trip to Barrow will be daunting but hope prevails and good luck to them if they get promotion.  The Championship is a whole different ball game.

You are right about the level in the championship.

Barrow are doing the right things on and off the field. Over 1900 in attendance today and Craven Park is being utilised as a cash money spinner.

With the work the board are doing  and if Barrow do get promoted they will be able to hold their own on the finances front. That will enable them to attract the better Cumbrian players and be able to pay for a few better travelling players.

At the end of the day the difference will be all about money. That is why if Barrow can step up I am confident that their canny board will take them and keep them to that higher level.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Bears were superb today and I'll be buzzing all week.

Rochdale led for most of the game but we always looked like we could turn it around. 

Richard Squires deserves full credit for picking them up after the Skolars game and making sure we were strong for 80 minutes. 

Great result for the Bears 👏Last week against Skolars in the 1st half the Bears really threw the ball around & scored some great tries - i think Skolars size in the forwards just proved to be a bit too much in the 2nd half. Listening to the Bears podcast i thought it was a bit too harsh on their performance - The Bears looked like they could pull off a few unexpected victories this year.

35 minutes ago, Bearman said:

You are right about the level in the championship.

Barrow are doing the right things on and off the field. Over 1900 in attendance today and Craven Park is being utilised as a cash money spinner.

With the work the board are doing  and if Barrow do get promoted they will be able to hold their own on the finances front. That will enable them to attract the better Cumbrian players and be able to pay for a few better travelling players.

At the end of the day the difference will be all about money. That is why if Barrow can step up I am confident that their canny board will take them and keep them to that higher level.

I'm confident that the Barrow board are successfully using Craven Park as a money-spinner. Question is aren't every other club in league one doing the same? Why are Barrow different?

23 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

I'm confident that the Barrow board are successfully using Craven Park as a money-spinner. Question is aren't every other club in league one doing the same? Why are Barrow different?

Unfortunately mate barrow are one of the few clubs that actually still own their ground. 

1 hour ago, Rob Nash said:

1900 punters today all spending their money in the beer garden that goes straight into the club coffers. They have a big screen and bar for other events such as soccer . In addition they have electric advertising boards streaming ads towards a nearby retail park all generating steady income 7 days a week.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

30 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

I'm surprised Hunslet are having a poor season, I know it's early days yet

The teams they've lost to (Workington, Keighley & Barrow) are 3 of the favourites to go up. I think it is just that they've had tough fixtures early on.

Archived