Sat 29 May: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 18:00 (TV)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/05/21 at 17:30

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

When Child reached into this pocket for a card for Tomkins, I was hoping it would be a Congratulations card.

To be fair if Tomkins had hit himself he should be awarded MOS. 😀

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

I thought Child made the right call at the end, even though the colour of card made no difference because of the time left. Can't be giving a team the same punishment simply for defending their player.

Besides, you can't exactly use the 'what about concussion' argument when the person who got punched literally just headbutted someone. It's Hardaker's own fault. No matter what the situation, if someone throws a headbutt they should expect to get punched at least once.

Ever since he claimed to be the best fullback in the competition Hardaker has looked a different player. It's fine to have a bit of arrogance but only if you can back it up. Say something like that and play poorly and you look like a chump.

As for the game as a whole, Wigan were just comprehensively outplayed by a dominant Catalans. Wigan's lack of power in the forward certainly didn't help things - as soon as Catalans started dominating field position we had no way out. Some really shocking defending for the early tries too. Just a dreadful game from Wigan but one that you could see coming given how poor we've been in games for far this year. It's not even a case of our luck running out - we had a bit of fortune in that game but still had absolutely nothing to offer.

To make it worse there's no chance to immediately put things right due to having no game next week. They'll have to stew on that performance for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday the argument was that all contact with the head should be a red, no ifs, no buts, off.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Hardaker made 2 efforts with his head - as in butt,not thought. 

There is a small possibility that some knowledgeable rugby league fans may start to notice that Mr Macnamara is a good rugby league coach.

Improvements year on year?

Lovely new logo for Wigan.It seems to be making a huge difference.I can certainly see a boost in attendances.

With blow out results,and keeping sides to nil,the broadcasters must be delighted.

All hail - Super League!

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Not sure what Wigan did but I think due to COVID teams are travelling out on the day and playing. This obviously plays into Catalans hands but they are certainly taking advantage of it. I’ve no sympathy for clubs doing this as whatever issues they face Catalan have it ten fold. 

That is what Catalans do every other week charter out and back same day.

40 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Hardaker made 2 efforts with his head - as in butt,not thought. 

There is a small possibility that some knowledgeable rugby league fans may start to notice that Mr Macnamara is a good rugby league coach.

Improvements year on year?

Lovely new logo for Wigan.It seems to be making a huge difference.I can certainly see a boost in attendances.

With blow out results,and keeping sides to nil,the broadcasters must be delighted.

All hail - Super League!

Thomas Bosc is now officially running the Catalans attack for McNamara and it shows. He can then concentrate on defence and building a winning mentality.

Three important developments in the improvement of Catalans:

1. Improved defence technique and commitment.

2. Much improved attacking performances by James Maloney and Josh Drinkwater.

3. The emergence of French prodigy Artur Mourgue (aka Mourgue the Magnificent) as an x-factor.

We were an absolute disgrace today and like Hull in the Challenge Cup our obvious weaknesses were exposed,how Radlinski is still in a job baffles me gives our woeful recruitment over the last few years.

Bernard guasch had the great idea of refusing to negotiate with the players who have a contract ending soon until after the block of games against the top teams. Maybe some players were more motivated 😁

12 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

If this was Saints on the receiving end, would we still be hearing...

"You can never write off the Saints"?

Ah but Saints wrote off other teams 5 GFs in a row 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

After  my own club I would also like to see Cats get to OT and win and hopefully if the restrictions are lifted we RL people must all make an effort to hit the 70K  attendance if Cats do get there.Long way to yet though 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

They still have that lazy performance in them. Maybe it is a curse of the travel but they have to keep this going in the second half of the season.

Its also about styles of playing some teams nullify certain opposition, Warrington have done cats twice by getting in their faces in defence. So although have played well beating Saints and Wigan in consecutive games they are likely to unstuck against a Huddersfield who coach is good tactical wise or leigh who have shown they have a performance in them. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Wigan appeared to me as a disorganised collection of 13 individual players with no overall plan, whereas the Dragons played as a well-organised team  with a structure and a purpose. 

Usually this is said the other way around.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

We were an absolute disgrace today and like Hull in the Challenge Cup our obvious weaknesses were exposed,how Radlinski is still in a job baffles me gives our woeful recruitment over the last few years.

I made the point recently that Havard, Smithies and company in another era would have been playing A team rugby but now they are the among the mainstays of the pack. Wigan appear to be falling over themselves to re-sign the overrated George Williams when any spare money should surely be spent on a couple of decent, experienced props. If this result doesn’t make those in control sit up and think then nothing will. 

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Seconds from winning last season’s GF and top of the league until yesterday, it’s not that bad! 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Seconds from winning last season’s GF and top of the league until yesterday, it’s not that bad! 

Some Supporters of top teams have  no tolerance when their team suffers a defeat. Didn't Wane's Wigan go on to win the SL after losing a game by about 60 points to Wakefield?

2 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I made the point recently that Havard, Smithies and company in another era would have been playing A team rugby but now they are the among the mainstays of the pack. Wigan appear to be falling over themselves to re-sign the overrated George Williams when any spare money should surely be spent on a couple of decent, experienced props. If this result doesn’t make those in control sit up and think then nothing will. 

Well one prop is suspended, 2 edge forwards are injured or out of position and first choice centers at injured or out of position.  

In my view Powell is going backwards as a hooker and our issue is not simply big middles.   A game starts at the play the ball and we are not managing it.

But following the episode with Clubb  the team have been out of focus and certainly this weekend were without energy.  A combination of things have lost our form. Perhaps we could ask Castleford for advice?

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well one prop is suspended, 2 edge forwards are injured or out of position and first choice centers at injured or out of position.  

In my view Powell is going backwards as a hooker and our issue is not simply big middles.   A game starts at the play the ball and we are not managing it.

But following the episode with Clubb  the team have been out of focus and certainly this weekend were without energy.  A combination of things have lost our form. Perhaps we could ask Castleford for advice?

I’m not Powell’s biggest fan but any hooker would struggle to make an impact in a pack that’s constantly going backwards like ours 

26 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Even with Clubb available I would still argue that 2 additional experienced props are needed. Powell gives 100 per cent every game but doesn’t have that ability to cause problems from dummy half. Wigan will probably still win more games than they lose this season but even with everybody available do you really think they can take the top prize?

21 hours ago, Scubby said:

Thomas Bosc is now officially running the Catalans attack for McNamara and it shows. He can then concentrate on defence and building a winning mentality.

I agree with you, Scubby, that there was something very positive and Bosc-esque about the attack yesterday.

Have you a source for the news that Bosc's coaching role has developed in the way you state?  I don't recall seeing anything about this.

I also wonder whether Les Dracs are benefitting from two other appointments: maybe Alex Chan is contributing to a calmer, more disciplined off-the-field atmosphere, which is then reflected on it; perhaps the youngsters are benefitting from Justin Murphy's being at the helm of the Elite 1 team, although it might be too soon for any such benefit to be manifesting itself.

Archived