Match Thread: Championship Round 8, Halifax v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-30th-May-2021

Six out of six. Can we make it seven? Always tough at The Shay, but we are improving week by week. No fans to cheer us on, so that's a blow.

Chisholm at FB is working for me, some good competition for places in the three-quarters, halves and hookers playing well, and an over-powering pack despite absences.

More of the same, please.

Varying accounts of just how many are on the injury list, but realistically there were eight first teamers out last week.

Cooper and Hardcastle may have been rested/not picked at Doncaster. Ive not heard any reason for their not playing.

Ferres and Moors were both in last Sunday's squad, but have recognised injuries and so didn't appear. I assume they're close to ready. Welham too, presumably.

We've been told Blackmore, Harrison and Ferguson are all longer term injuries.

Mind you, Field has come in and done well. So has Doyle.

Who'd be a coach, eh?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one that concerns me is the injury that was picked up on Sunday - Jack Bussey, hope it's only a rolled ankle as he's been outstanding recently and also an important player as he can play big minutes in the middle.

Looking back at the Sheffield game, I think it's understandable that we lacked a bit of fluency as the team was changed around again. Brad Day was switched back to the left edge for the first time this year (I think), he played on that side in his fabulous 2019 season but that meant a new link-up with Tom Holmes who he hasn't played with much. Also Craig Hall, who has played full back and then wing recently, switched to the centre, and Frankie Halton moved to the right edge, so lots of new combinations there.

As long as Blackmore is out I think it make sense to keep going with Chisholm at full back, he's gone pretty well so far and it's meant we can accomodate Nu Brown as well as both hookers.

Halifax seem to have hit a bit of form and have nilled their last two opponents. They are a fair team on paper and ought to give us more of a test than Sheffield, whose early-season form has tailed off, or Oldham, who aren't the most robust team defensively. And Fax have the big advantage of the atmosphere not being taken over by the travelling Fev faithful as it usually is there.

Even with the huge injury list, I'll still be disappointed if we can't beat improve still further on our fantastic recent record in League games at the Shay. Think it's something like only 1 league loss at The Shay since 2010?

Obviously jack has been playing out of his skin but if he misses halifax I'm not worried 

All the lads who have come into the team have all stood up to be counted and I've yet to see a drop off in performance

Young jacob D  scored a great try standing worrancy up and callum F and loui M played some good minutes 

I think whatever 17 turns up sunday we should have enough to keep up our winning streak

HALIFAX PANTHERS V FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

Sunday 30th May
The Shay Stadium | KO : 15:00

Referee T. Grant
Touch Judge 1 G. Jones
Touch Judge 2 A. Johnson
Reserve Referee C. Charnock
Time Keeper G. Kershaw

Bit nervous about this fixture as fax seem to have hit some form recently. But then so have we with a gritty performance against York, a champagne one against Oldham and a brilliant first half against Sheffield. Which would have continued in the second if it wasn’t for the understandable delay.

I always look forward to the games against fax though so hoping for a good game with the right result 

1 hour ago, mightyship said:

Bit nervous about this fixture as fax seem to have hit some form recently. But then so have we with a gritty performance against York, a champagne one against Oldham and a brilliant first half against Sheffield. Which would have continued in the second if it wasn’t for the understandable delay.

I always look forward to the games against fax though so hoping for a good game with the right result 

yes that's true but there new found form is against thunder and rams who I would hazard  a guess not deemed to be the most challenging of opponents 

Yeah I wouldn't get carried away by our form. Dewsbury and Newcastle were both dire although there were more promising signs especially after the abysmal defeat to Oldham. I'd be just happy with us showing we can compete for a full 80 in this one. We really need to win 2 out of our next 3 to put us firmly amongst the play offs with the Sheffield game at home still in hand. Our next three though are Fev, York at home which I do fancy our chances, and Swinton away which tends to be a bit of a bogey game for us. Sunday is a free shot at getting a win on the board.

Fax have named their squad already. Thing that stands out is that they must be faring much better with injuries than we are, all 17 of their squad numbers 1-17 are named, with two season-long loans and recent Huddersfield loanee Olly Russell amongst the other four players in their 21.
https://halifaxpanthers.co.uk/panthers-news/21-man-squad-to-face-featherstone-rovers/

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fax have named their squad already. Thing that stands out is that they must be faring much better with injuries than we are, all 17 of their squad numbers 1-17 are named, with two season-long loans and recent Huddersfield loanee Olly Russell amongst the other four players in their 21.
https://halifaxpanthers.co.uk/panthers-news/21-man-squad-to-face-featherstone-rovers/

Must have beat me by a millisecond.....

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Our 19/20/21/entirely interchangeable squad should be available soon.

Fax have put theirs out:

Greg Worthington at centre. I'd forgotten he'd gone there

He was desperate,Toronto collapse left him with no money so he probably bit the bullet and accepted Fax's offer.Decent centre Greg but not as good as Welham and similar standard to Minns and Josh.

There's a 21-man squad for us on the RFL website.
https://www.rugby-league.com/match_preview/133502

Key points: Bussey is in the squad so hopefully fit, Hardcastle is back in there to. The longer-term absentees (Harrison, Welham, Ferres, Ferguson, plus the now-suspended Blackmore) are all out, as is Luke Cooper again.

Jimmy Beckett is back from his loan spell at Dewsbury and is included, suspect he might be one of the four to miss out along with Spence, Doyle and McConnell. You'd think Hall will resume on the wing if Hardcastle's back, and Blackmore's extended absence might mean that Chisholm continues at full back for as long as that experiment continues to go well.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There's a 21-man squad for us on the RFL website.
https://www.rugby-league.com/match_preview/133502

Key points: Bussey is in the squad so hopefully fit, Hardcastle is back in there to. The longer-term absentees (Harrison, Welham, Ferres, Ferguson, plus the now-suspended Blackmore) are all out, as is Luke Cooper again.

Jimmy Beckett is back from his loan spell at Dewsbury and is included, suspect he might be one of the four to miss out along with Spence, Doyle and McConnell. You'd think Hall will resume on the wing if Hardcastle's back, and Blackmore's extended absence might mean that Chisholm continues at full back for as long as that experiment continues to go well.

Yes, just seen that.

Not sure how Beckett is above Luke Cooper in the pecking order, but we have a largish squad, so let's see 'em.

Perhaps JW will keep Doyle in there? He played well, and is an out-and-out wingman unlike Hall or Hardcastle. Hall looked dangerous at centre, so perhaps Hardcastle misses out, which would be tough on him.

Moors was in the 21 last week but failed to make the 17, so he could be back.

Happy to see more of Chizz at FB

18 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes, just seen that.

Not sure how Beckett is above Luke Cooper in the pecking order, but we have a largish squad, so let's see 'em.

Perhaps JW will keep Doyle in there? He played well, and is an out-and-out wingman unlike Hall or Hardcastle. Hall looked dangerous at centre, so perhaps Hardcastle misses out, which would be tough on him.

Moors was in the 21 last week but failed to make the 17, so he could be back.

Happy to see more of Chizz at FB

Coops must have an injury, surely? His last game wasn't his best, but I'd be surprised if he's lower in the pecking order than Beckett or McConnell.

Doyle took his try well but whether he'd offer the same amount going forward from first receiver as Josh would is a different matter. Josh will take the ball in 15-20 times a game, like Gale, and make metres every time.

If Moors is deemed fit, it will be interesting if he's kept at his recent position of back row, and if so whether he starts; we have had a lot of changes at that position, including switching Tuna back to the left last week.

I'm happy to see Chizz continue at full back, too, though he hasn't had much tackling to do yet.

9 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Chisholm

Hall Hardcastle Minns Gale

Brown Holmes

Kopczak Jones Bussey

Day Halton

Lockwood

Parata Field Davies Moors

Will do for me!

Yep that's how I'd see it too, assuming Bussey, Hardcastle and Moors are all fit and ready to go. Just a bit concerned that we've seen fit to recall Beckett from Dewsbury which makes me wonder if one or two of our forwards are still struggling.

Looks like we might be without Bussey today, if that's the case it's going to take a big effort with Harrison, Ferres, Ferguson and Cooper also all missing from the pack plus Blackmore and Welham from the backs, against a squad that's able to name it's entire 1-17 in squad numbers.

We might have a couple of players who probably aren't in our top 12 forwards turning out today, going to take a big effort I reckon. At near full strength I'd be very confident but they won't get many better chances against us than this. Still hopeful we can do them though!

23 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looks like we might be without Bussey today, if that's the case it's going to take a big effort with Harrison, Ferres, Ferguson and Cooper also all missing from the pack plus Blackmore and Welham from the backs, against a squad that's able to name it's entire 1-17 in squad numbers.

We might have a couple of players who probably aren't in our top 12 forwards turning out today, going to take a big effort I reckon. At near full strength I'd be very confident but they won't get many better chances against us than this. Still hopeful we can do them though!

Simple solution play Jacob on the wing start JD at loose forward instead of jack and put Josh Jimmy or  Loui on the bench in place of JD

Archived