Match Thread: Championship Round 8, Halifax v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-30th-May-2021

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the tackling counts for our boys today.

I see Moors getting top ratings on the MOM thread (which I have to boycott 😉 ) but Field, Lockwood and Koppy put in some right shifts.

Locky was immense today.... leadership throughout

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Where are they getting commentators from? Dragging ppl out who clearly are not up to date with the game. To come out and predict a Halifax win by at least 12 points before the kick off is totally ludicrous to anyone who is following the Championship. No idea what they are talking about. 

Halifax can only muster 882 fans that's not a good sign at all. They are a good team, a historic club and have the whole of Calderdale Borough to themselves. 

Will comment on the game once i sober up but regards the crowd, that was the capacity of the ground thanks to our very "helpful" council.

Pretty draconian Oxy Boy , only allowing under 1000 for a match of this standing . The club must be tearing their hair out.

Sounds like you manage a few bevvies, our last home match no refreshments at all. They seem to be helping the RFL kill the game. at our level.

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Will comment on the game once i sober up but regards the crowd, that was the capacity of the ground thanks to our very "helpful" council.

Fair one, you'd think it would have been a fair bit larger than that allowed in given Stadium capacity and layout. 

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

With ground capacity of 10,000 plus you should have been looking at an attendance limit of at least 1,800.Quite a bit of space round the entrance points as well.

I must agree with the comments about the so called commentators they were totally biased towards Halifax never once mentioned a fair assessment of the game , and the opening comments about nu brown when one said I don’t follow much rugby these days and I’ve never heard of the lad was a real good indicator of how the commentary would go . As for the performance a good effort from all some big minutes played by some players . If the ball wouldhave stuck some times we would have been home and hosed by 65 minutes, but it was what it was . Hope the injury to chizzy sorts it’s self out for next week 

11 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

With the injuries mounting do we think we may go into the loan market? 

Webbo said that it's too late to make any loan signings before next week's game. He said there are a few with a chance to come back next week and they are hoping Chissy's injury isn't too bad and hasn't given up hope of him playing next week.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Those refs at the rfl.... they hate us...give us nowt🤣🤣🤣😍

An absolute classic of the genre from some fella on the Fax forum...

Sick to death of corruption in society and sport whether it be football boxing or rugby. It would be nice to know who’s the best instead it’s all about some jobsworth in the middle , you want fans back call us the Halifax gimps for all I care , 18 years of no chance of super league has nothing to do with what goes on between two sides on the pitch, it’s refs and politics , do one , spread your butter as thin as you like , your toast tastes dry.

🤣

Absolutely..... I read how refs hate us.... are bent.... are always against us etc....

We got the rub of the green today. another day we won't do. That's how it rolls.

Great defensive effort today with hugely improved discipline. Tbh.... not a classic but perhaps the best win so far this season.

That's just about how I saw it Robin. Victorian Cafe Bar . Titanic Plum Porter 5.9% Mmm❗🍺

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

An absolute classic of the genre from some fella on the Fax forum...

Sick to death of corruption in society and sport whether it be football boxing or rugby. It would be nice to know who’s the best instead it’s all about some jobsworth in the middle , you want fans back call us the Halifax gimps for all I care , 18 years of no chance of super league has nothing to do with what goes on between two sides on the pitch, it’s refs and politics , do one , spread your butter as thin as you like , your toast tastes dry.

🤣

He was slagging the ref off and FEV fans on man forum after game  till ROBIN reported him and all his posts were  removed 

Great defensive effort today with hugely improved discipline. Tbh.... not a classic but perhaps the best win so far this season.

That's a good point. Although we did get the rub of the green from the 50-50 calls we weren't our own worst enemies like we sometimes have been...the unnecessary six-agains that we have been conceding on the 3rd and 4th tackles were absent, and the error count although far from perfect was better than it has been on occasions. I think I heard Grix say in his post-match interview that Fax only got 2 or 3 penalties and in all honesty I don't think that was just down to luck...we definitely got lucky on some occasions in the game but overall I think we earned that luck.

2 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Wish I could remember the last time we got lucky though.

We got more than our share today. The ref made some strange ones though before committing myself fully, I want to see the replay.

That said, our discipline was miles better today and similarly our defence.

11 hours ago, haskey said:

Pretty draconian Oxy Boy , only allowing under 1000 for a match of this standing . The club must be tearing their hair out.

Sounds like you manage a few bevvies, our last home match no refreshments at all. They seem to be helping the RFL kill the game. at our level.

No refreshments at the game either. A complete contrast to the set up we had up Newcastle last week which was really good.

11 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

With ground capacity of 10,000 plus you should have been looking at an attendance limit of at least 1,800.Quite a bit of space round the entrance points as well.

Official capacity stands at just under 9k (again due to Calderdale Council) and they let us have 10% capacity for the game hence the crowd. Its ridiculous to be fair, we then had our chairman been a numpty and coming up in the stands at half time screaming at people to social distance and talking to them like idots, must be a very clever ploy to get fans on his side..........

As for the game I just thought it came down to that extra bit of quality especially in the halves. Big changing point was just after half time when we should have had a simple try to make it 8-6 instead 2 plays later we throw an interception and find ourselves 12-2 down. Id like to see a replay of the Woody no try again as I have seen the pictures but I were stood where it happened and my initial impression was short and rolled the ball over so would come down to the interpretation of control.

Only other 2 I can think of were in the first half what looked like a clear knock on from a kick in the Fev ingoal the ref waved play on and the Woody tackle over the line where the tackler had 2 goes to force him back, firstly I didn't think he ended over the line and secondly it should have been a penalty for second effort by the defender. Fev scored off that one so was a bit of a double whammy.

All that said I just dont think we did enough to deserve the win. I thought our defence was good as Fev looked very good with the ball and just a little disappointed with the 2 soft trys, the interception and then the pick up and scoot from 10 yards out which we should have defended. Its not a game I thought we would win and we have more important games coming up that will help shape our finishing position come the end of the season.

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

No refreshments at the game either. A complete contrast to the set up we had up Newcastle last week which was really good.

Official capacity stands at just under 9k (again due to Calderdale Council) and they let us have 10% capacity for the game hence the crowd. Its ridiculous to be fair, we then had our chairman been a numpty and coming up in the stands at half time screaming at people to social distance and talking to them like idots, must be a very clever ploy to get fans on his side..........

As for the game I just thought it came down to that extra bit of quality especially in the halves. Big changing point was just after half time when we should have had a simple try to make it 8-6 instead 2 plays later we throw an interception and find ourselves 12-2 down. Id like to see a replay of the Woody no try again as I have seen the pictures but I were stood where it happened and my initial impression was short and rolled the ball over so would come down to the interpretation of control.

Only other 2 I can think of were in the first half what looked like a clear knock on from a kick in the Fev ingoal the ref waved play on and the Woody tackle over the line where the tackler had 2 goes to force him back, firstly I didn't think he ended over the line and secondly it should have been a penalty for second effort by the defender. Fev scored off that one so was a bit of a double whammy.

All that said I just dont think we did enough to deserve the win. I thought our defence was good as Fev looked very good with the ball and just a little disappointed with the 2 soft trys, the interception and then the pick up and scoot from 10 yards out which we should have defended. Its not a game I thought we would win and we have more important games coming up that will help shape our finishing position come the end of the season.

Think most of that is fair. The Woodburn-Hall try I think you have described accurately what happened ie grounded short and rolled the ball forward, have tried to find anything on the laws section of the RFL site that states whether this is a knock on or not but no joy yet.

The in-goal incident where the ball juggled around, I've watched that five or six times and it's still hard to tell what happened, Minns definitely knocked it backwards initially and then Holmes flapped at the ball at the same time as Fairbank, I'm still not sure who touched the ball and indeed whether it went forwards or backwards. On the ref's mike you could hear Fax appealing that it was offside but you can't be offside in your own in goal area, though as I say it's hard to tell exactly who touched the ball. Either way it was a very risky offload by Brad Day to Holmes but fortunately for Fev it paid off.

The one I thought Fax were unlucky with was the one given as a goal line drop out on both counts as stated above, I couldn't have grumbled if that were given as a penalty to Fax.

There were a few others that the crowd (and commentators) grumbled at but looked the right call on second viewing. There were a couple of calls that went against Fev too, Johnny D looked like his big hit on Russell came at the moment he passed the ball and it was questionable whether it was a penalty let alone a sin bin, and Kopczak seemed convinced he had scored in the first half when the ref ruled held up. Overall though no doubt that Fev did pretty well out of the 50-50 calls though it may also have been the case that the ref got most of them right.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think most of that is fair. The Woodburn-Hall try I think you have described accurately what happened ie grounded short and rolled the ball forward, have tried to find anything on the laws section of the RFL site that states whether this is a knock on or not but no joy yet.

The in-goal incident where the ball juggled around, I've watched that five or six times and it's still hard to tell what happened, Minns definitely knocked it backwards initially and then Holmes flapped at the ball at the same time as Fairbank, I'm still not sure who touched the ball and indeed whether it went forwards or backwards. On the ref's mike you could hear Fax appealing that it was offside but you can't be offside in your own in goal area, though as I say it's hard to tell exactly who touched the ball. Either way it was a very risky offload by Brad Day to Holmes but fortunately for Fev it paid off.

The one I thought Fax were unlucky with was the one given as a goal line drop out on both counts as stated above, I couldn't have grumbled if that were given as a penalty to Fax.

There were a few others that the crowd (and commentators) grumbled at but looked the right call on second viewing. There were a couple of calls that went against Fev too, Johnny D looked like his big hit on Roberts came at the moment he passed the ball and it was questionable whether it was a penalty let alone a sin bin, and Kopczak seemed convinced he had scored in the first half when the ref ruled held up. Overall though no doubt that Fev did pretty well out of the 50-50 calls though it may also have been the case that the ref got most of them right.

You've got to understand PH the REF always gets them ALL right🤣

Archived